06 Esmark?

4 hours ago, Seejay784 said:

Word is they didn't have enough quality kids to field a legit AAA team. I feel bad for the kids that did make it and will now be scrambling to find a team with most tryouts either over or currently ongoing.

OK so they picked a team and put it on their website.  How many of those kids backed out?   Hard to believe they didn't have enough quality kids. I heard the tryouts were well attended.  Why wouldn't they have a supplemental tryout to see if they could attract a few more kids.  I thought they were a pretty well run organization until this fiasco. Just Strange!!

This isn't new. This organization in my experience is very up front about the talent that comes out. If they don't think the team will compete at AAA, they tell parents that and give them a choice as to whether to proceed. I think the teams on the website are last seasons, btw.

• Like 1

It's going to be an entirely different world at PIA with the pending sale of yet another rink to the Black Bear group. Fees will skyrocket and many people will be left holding themselves in their hand. The 06 thing was a tragedy from the start. Based solely on them getting players from EuroRussia to even make the team an A Major team.

The ONLY reason that team folded was because the players declined the offers. It had nothing to with Kosick and Yuri trying to do the right thing.

1 hour ago, Saucey said:

This organization in my experience is very up front about the talent that comes out. If they don't think the team will compete at AAA, they tell parents that and give them a choice as to whether to proceed.

Click this link and scroll down to team #100/103 and tell me if you still believe what you posted.

https://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2017&a=2&v=114

4 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

It's going to be an entirely different world at PIA with the pending sale of yet another rink to the Black Bear group. Fees will skyrocket and many people will be left holding themselves in their hand. The 06 thing was a tragedy from the start. Based solely on them getting players from EuroRussia to even make the team an A Major team.

The ONLY reason that team folded was because the players declined the offers. It had nothing to with Kosick and Yuri trying to do the right thing.

Pending sale of PIA  to the Black Bear Group?  Where did you hear that?  Why was the 06 thing a tragedy from the start?

6 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

this had zilch to do with these two. they weren’t the advertised coach for this team. 

56 minutes ago, BeaverFalls said:

this had zilch to do with these two. they weren’t the advertised coach for this team. 

BF, you are obviously challenged. "These two" make all the decisions and "These two make all the $$$$$$"

3 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Pending sale of PIA  to the Black Bear Group?  Where did you hear that? 

Don't doubt me I am Omniscient. If you doubt me, refer back to this post from 1/24 regarding the sale of Center Ice.

Good news/bad news. Keeps the rink under stable ownership. If they jack up ice rates like they did at Southpointe, the players families are the ones that end up paying the price.

Why was the 06 thing a tragedy from the start?

1. PPE - despite them turning their backs on numerous local players who have paid the NHL team bills for 6 years, they inadvertently scrambled the 06 landscape

2. SHAHA - solid team, strong Coach - too much parental control but they were going get their 20 players regardless

3. Vengeance - new Coach, fair amount of turnover but were always going to be in the mix

4. Barons - for some reason there are like 6 local players or more? playing there this season. Very good team but that commute 75 times in a season? SMFH!!!

5. Preds - light years from being a AAA team but were going to keep 20 South Hills kids closer to home

6. 3 PAHL teams - North Pitt (WPA rep at Nationals), Allegheny and Renegades were all top 40 AA teams and will all be keeping plenty of players that aren't chasing the 3rd A

So, I think this is fairly detailed and solid evidence as to why it was a tragedy. Can you tell me why you think it was anything more than a fleecing derailed by players declining?

•  

• Like 2

Wow, I like that analysis. You are obviously someone who is in the know. Had no idea about the Barons. So would you consider the 06 Birth year in Western Pa to be strong or just diluted by all the teams.  I thought I saw that the top 3 were in the Top half of Tier 1 rankings.  You obviously have an ear to SW PA Hockey so I won't doubt your info on the Big Bear Group at PIA.   I guess I think it was a tragedy from the start because they had those kids go through 4 grueling days of Hockey. 3 scrimmage days against 05 kids.  They should have cut the kids they thought clearly weren't good enough for AAA after the first or second day and let them move on.  Beaver Falls seems to think that this was the advertised Coaches decision to not have a team at 06. After checking out the MY Rankings for that 05 team above I wouldn't want my kid on a team that goes 2 & 49. And gets beat by double digits in a whole lot of games. They say adversity makes you stronger but that's a whole other level. So maybe they did the right thing. But we will never know if they could have coached them up.

Wow, I like that analysis. You are obviously someone who is in the know. Had no idea about the Barons. So would you consider the 06 Birth year in Western Pa to be strong or just diluted by all the teams.  I thought I saw that the top 3 were in the Top half of Tier 1 rankings.  You obviously have an ear to SW PA Hockey so I won't doubt your info on the Big Bear Group at PIA.   I guess I think it was a tragedy from the start because they had those kids go through 4 grueling days of Hockey. 3 scrimmage days against 05 kids.  They should have cut the kids they thought clearly weren't good enough for AAA after the first or second day and let them move on.  Beaver Falls seems to think that this was the advertised Coaches decision to not have a team at 06. After checking out the MY Rankings for that 05 team above I wouldn't want my kid on a team that goes 2 & 49. And gets beat by double digits in a whole lot of games. They say adversity makes you stronger but that's a whole other level. So maybe they did the right thing. But we will never know if they could have coached them up.

no. thats not true. it’s that noone wanted to play for the coach. 

A few of the Pens cuts went to the Barons.  SHAHA was top heavy so some of the better kids looking for a new team went there.  Vengeance got a well liked coach who was the skills guy for them last year.  So, no one was leaving unless they were disgruntled.  I don't think Esmark was surprised at their inability to field a team.

4 hours ago, HCK15 said:

Esmark did field a very talented 07 Bantam team, so a good core is in the pipeline for U15 next season.

Esmark got most of the 07 Vengeance team from last year, They left cause of the coaching change and not getting their way. They will not hesitate to pull this again, so time will tell if they stay. Esmark has a big hole at 06/u15 level, they tried hard to pry kids away from Vengeance and SHAHA. The Crazy Russian was making promises and recruiting hard from Mid Am till tryouts. He promised most of them spots on the 05 team and just wanted them to show up to help bolster the numbers. They combined the 05/06 tryout, maybe this was to look more impresive or just made sense, you take what you want. PPE 06 turned over about half its team. It is still a good team, it definatly has some good kids and definatly has some pot holes that are there for other reasons. They will be able to shorten the bench come playoff time and we will see how that works for them. Vengeance and Shaha both look a little better, but just swapped players for mutiple reasons and picked up some of the PPE cuts. Baron probably upgraded the most picking up the big D the Pens cut, the Vengeance Goalie and looks like a couple other players to be determined. I did hear the Pittsburgh kids that are going to the Barons and going to billet and not do the daily drive. Lets check back at the end of season to see how it worked out.  Iceman might make out the best of this as many are going there, but this will be far from a AAA team and might be better playing local and some regional team. Maybe even play in PAHL since there is no 15 u aa tournament. 

16 hours ago, mrfreeze said:

Esmark got most of the 07 Vengeance team from last year, They left cause of the coaching change and not getting their way. They will not hesitate to pull this again, so time will tell if they stay. Esmark has a big hole at 06/u15 level, they tried hard to pry kids away from Vengeance and SHAHA. The Crazy Russian was making promises and recruiting hard from Mid Am till tryouts. He promised most of them spots on the 05 team and just wanted them to show up to help bolster the numbers. They combined the 05/06 tryout, maybe this was to look more impresive or just made sense, you take what you want. PPE 06 turned over about half its team. It is still a good team, it definatly has some good kids and definatly has some pot holes that are there for other reasons. They will be able to shorten the bench come playoff time and we will see how that works for them. Vengeance and Shaha both look a little better, but just swapped players for mutiple reasons and picked up some of the PPE cuts. Baron probably upgraded the most picking up the big D the Pens cut, the Vengeance Goalie and looks like a couple other players to be determined. I did hear the Pittsburgh kids that are going to the Barons and going to billet and not do the daily drive. Lets check back at the end of season to see how it worked out.  Iceman might make out the best of this as many are going there, but this will be far from a AAA team and might be better playing local and some regional team. Maybe even play in PAHL since there is no 15 u aa tournament. 

Heard the Vengeance 06 goalie is playing U16 not U15.  The coaching change had nothing to do with the 07 kids leaving the Vengeance.  

The Icemen may turn out to be ok numbers wise.  Being last this year has its advantages.   

1 hour ago, twoboys said:

Heard the Vengeance 06 goalie is playing U16 not U15.  The coaching change had nothing to do with the 07 kids leaving the Vengeance.  

The Icemen may turn out to be ok numbers wise.  Being last this year has its advantages.   

Good for Vengeance Goalie, as far as the 07, I'm sure everone has their own reasons to switch. Sounds like Iceman will finally field an 06 team but it will be far from AAA, maybe an A-Major 16u team at best.Good luck to all landed those final spots and teams, looks like tryouts should all be wrapped up by the end of the month.

14 minutes ago, mrfreeze said:

Sounds like Iceman will finally field an 06 team but it will be far from AAA, maybe an A-Major 16u team at best.

So then shouldn't it be a Yeti's team and play 16U PAHL? Oh wait, then the fees would only be $2500 instead of $5000 and parents wouldn't have their 3rd A. That's a lot of $$ for a vowel.

• Like 2
  • Fist Bump 1

I wonder if those are the kids that Esmark thought were not good enough?  I hope they field a competitive team and make Esmark feel pretty stupid!  I would say competitive is top 60%. Hopefully I can come back on here in a year and say it's so.  Forever the optimist.