Travel & Pens Elite Tryouts

On 3/2/2019 at 10:44 AM, PuckHead7 said:

Not sure that is true.  2010 Vengeance team will probably play PAHL as first year squirts.  Just as the 08 did two seasons ago and the 09 team did this year.  2011 can not play squirt in PAHL this season.  Practice players, maybe???

They play ice renegades as pahl and vengeance as "aaa" tournament team. I know the 08s had a couple 09s who played vengeance travel their first year squirt (could not play renegades/ pahl).  No clue about the 09 team this year. 

• 2 weeks later...

hockeydad23, if you want to compare your kid to 09 AAA kids, go to the Wednesday public skate at rmu. there are some 09 vengeance kids that take skating lessons as well as other kids from PAHL teams. they usually wear their team warmups. watch them skate. not just during their lesson, but after as well. these vengeance kids can flat out fly. that should give you a good idea of what your son would experience at a AAA tryout. i understand the motivational concept behind attending a higher level tryout, but you don't want to create a discouraging experience. after you watch the AAA kids, look around and watch some of the PAHL kids and i think you'll get an idea of where your kid fits. 

I live in Tx, so I have no skin in this... but, yeah...i've got a 2008 who can 'flat out fly.'  and he could flat out fly last year, too.  I've got an '06 who cannot fly and never has been able to.  it's all relative, and i think the advice of going to watch some aaa kids skate so that he can get an idea of the speed and edgework at that level compared to his own son is pretty decent advice.

i love this macho internet guy thing.  i've been around hockey long enough to know that 'big boy' hockey differs from squirt and peewee hockey a great deal.  i've seen plenty of mite and squirt rock stars turn out to be nothing by the time bantams rolled around.  that's not the issue here, though, dude.  if you are comparing '09s to '09s, then it reasonable to say "go watch these aaa kids on this night.  they can really skate.  if you think your kid can hang, then sure... let him tryout and see what happens."

• Like 1

I am usually one to poke at people who seem to be over the top with their squirts, but I have to say, I thought this was a nice idea. The parent can see how the players at that level play before forking money over for a tryout fee. A little more of an informed decision.

stick tap to theroadtobeerleague!!! after posting I began to consider all the ways I might be considered an a-hole for offering constructive advice to the OP as that seems to be the norm here, but a complete lack of understanding of comparative analysis never occurred to me. 

hockeydad23, another option would be to see if you can get a free trial of live barn, or buy it for about $15 and then go watch some 09 AAA hockey. they only store a month of history so you should do this soon. Pretty sure NP is a live barn venue, so you could watch some of the NP squirts and see how you stack up. anyway, the point is, you have some options to compare the skill level of your child to other levels in the area, be it AAA or lower, before you start dropping tryout $$$

Wow, I am extremely overwhelmed by all of this.  I'm brand new here and found this site for help.  I'm trying to get some insight and just got the pants scared off of me.   My son just finished up his first year as a travel goalie.  He did well and received a lot of praise from quite a few coaches at the rink.   We have some building to do but he would love to try out for PPE (he is just more exposed to that team).   I don't think he's quite ready...maturity wise more so than skill.   This post has my head spinning.   Do we or don't we (for any AAA team)?   Is it worth it?   Is it really that political?   Are they all that political?   If you make a name somewhere, would another team want you?   Is this how nasty things get?   I've been researching a lot about the Vengeance and Esmark....and they are located closer to us but would he even stand a chance at any of these teams (with the idea that he is actually good enough).   This is all very disheartening seeing how mean people can be.  His goalie coach suggests that we shoot for the AAA level of playing (not saying he's NHL material, but maybe a little help with college would be nice). I guess my son isn't the only one who is going to have to develop a thick skin if we travel this route.  His mom and dad are too.

Signed,

A Disheartened Goalie Mom

• Like 2

Whatever coach told you that a 9-10 year old has college scholarship potential is ****. 

At that age, development happens for goalies through goalie training. 

Aslp, is he predicted to be at least 6’2”?

While this article’s title is Avonte smaller goalies, it actually points out that goalies are getting taller and taller:

https://www.nhl.com/news/shorter-goalies-find-niche-in-what-has-become-big-mans-position-in-nhl/c-297239132

BDE22862-8EB6-45BE-AC02-0D6174DAF201.jpeg

23 minutes ago, slm2007 said:

Wow, I am extremely overwhelmed by all of this.  I'm brand new here and found this site for help.  I'm trying to get some insight and just got the pants scared off of me.   My son just finished up his first year as a travel goalie.  He did well and received a lot of praise from quite a few coaches at the rink.   We have some building to do but he would love to try out for PPE (he is just more exposed to that team).   I don't think he's quite ready...maturity wise more so than skill.   This post has my head spinning.   Do we or don't we (for any AAA team)?   Is it worth it?   Is it really that political?   Are they all that political?   If you make a name somewhere, would another team want you?   Is this how nasty things get?   I've been researching a lot about the Vengeance and Esmark....and they are located closer to us but would he even stand a chance at any of these teams (with the idea that he is actually good enough).   This is all very disheartening seeing how mean people can be.  His goalie coach suggests that we shoot for the AAA level of playing (not saying he's NHL material, but maybe a little help with college would be nice). I guess my son isn't the only one who is going to have to develop a thick skin if we travel this route.  His mom and dad are too.

Signed,

As I’ve tried to Clear up on here, none of these people are who you want to go to for advice. Call the contacts at each organization, ask questions and make the best decision based on your family. In no way should you take the advice of anyone trying to steer you towards or away from any level or organization. 

33 minutes ago, slm2007 said:

Signed,

She never said someone said he was getting a college scholarship-she said “maybe a little help with college would be nice,” which I’m sure every parent has said about a sport or academics. She said the goalie coach said to shoot for AAA. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wampa1 said:

Case in point. Hey moderators, will this guy be suspended? He incited feelings of anger and I feel he was provoking me.

I read his post above about goalies and I feel he is correct. 

Unless the goalie is an absolute superstar, as in pitching shutouts routinely and saving way above .925, any solid AA team will be fine at that age.  Ask and make sure the prospective team has a regular goalie coach or take him to Shane Clifford to help develop.

Size of goalies is certainly an issue when it comes to older goalies (14u, 16u, 18u) and for CERTAIN more talented smaller goalies are often passed up in favor of man sized children who have less talent.

Also a note to everyone, stop asking for someone to be suspended.  PM the moderators or use "report post" if you have an issue.  Suspensions are not for public debate and discussion. Further public requests for suspensions will result in the requester getting a suspension.

You do not need to be 6’2 to play college hockey. There are 5’11 - 6’0 goaltenders in the NHL right now, meanwhile NCAA hockey. 

With that said, the smaller goalies usually possesses top tier athleticism and reaction time. One of those can be improved, the other is genetic. 

I think the most important thing when looking for a place for your goalie to play is coaching. Will the goalie get access to goalie specific training or is he going be there for target practice, for his teammates? 

AAA hockey for a goalie is not the end all be all at the younger ages. I would place quality of ice time and instruction way ahead on the list of priorities and if that’s an AAA program great, if it’s an AA program great. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Baxter said:

I read his post above about goalies and I feel he is correct. 

Unless the goalie is an absolute superstar, as in pitching shutouts routinely and saving way above .925, any solid AA team will be fine at that age.  Ask and make sure the prospective team has a regular goalie coach or take him to Shane Clifford to help develop.

Size of goalies is certainly an issue when it comes to older goalies (14u, 16u, 18u) and for CERTAIN more talented smaller goalies are often passed up in favor of man sized children who have less talent.

Also a note to everyone, stop asking for someone to be suspended.  PM the moderators or use "report post" if you have an issue.  Suspensions are not for public debate and discussion. Further public requests for suspensions will result in the requester getting a suspension.

Well he misquoted the poster and called their advisor an idiot. Wouldn’t that be considered “inciting” and not “adding to the discussion”? Seems selective. So we have to agree with everyone? If I disagree, is there a certain protocol for that? Just trying to get all the rules to the game here.

@Wampa1:

You can disagree.  Other people had other takes here after you.  While I don’t agree specifically with the word idiot, I do agree with some of that post.

I also don’t think it’s necessary for us to have to micromanage every aspect of this forum and moderate every single post.

i am going to remove the word idiot from the original post.  If you have a helpful reply to the goalie mom, chime in, otherwise move on to the next issue that comes up.

6 hours ago, Rico said:

You do not need to be 6’2 to play college hockey. There are 5’11 - 6’0 goaltenders in the NHL right now, meanwhile NCAA hockey. 

With that said, the smaller goalies usually possesses top tier athleticism and reaction time. One of those can be improved, the other is genetic. 

I think the most important thing when looking for a place for your goalie to play is coaching. Will the goalie get access to goalie specific training or is he going be there for target practice, for his teammates? 

AAA hockey for a goalie is not the end all be all at the younger ages. I would place quality of ice time and instruction way ahead on the list of priorities and if that’s an AAA program great, if it’s an AA program great. 

Well stated and I agree 

1 hour ago, aaaahockey said:

I'd prioritize ice time as well. I'd rather have my kid the only starting goalie for a AA team than trading starts with a goalie at AAA if I could make that choice. 

Think that’s why the other vengeance goalie left 

23 hours ago, slm2007 said:

Signed,

Confusing post.  You said he would love to tryout for PPE because he is more "exposed" to that team, but you live closer to Vengeance and Esmark?

You said that you don't think he is ready for PPE maturity wise, more so than skill, but your not sure he would stand a chance to make Vengeance and Esmark (with the idea that he is actually good enough)?

You do understand PPE would be harder to make than Vengeance and Esmark correct?

You also stated that he has played a year in travel hockey, yet you seem surprised that people on this board are "mean" and you and your kid will have to develop "thick skin"?  I doubt anyone on here is "meaner" that what you would have encountered in your first year of travel, especially with a goalie.  This is what "scared the pants off you", and "overwhelmed" you?  This post?  This "disheartened" you?

I think you are right, you are not cut out for this, or any youth sport if this relatively tame post did all this to you.

Good luck,

Edited by Eddie Shore
  • Like 1