Travel & Pens Elite Tryouts

9 hours ago, HockeyDad23 said:

Ok

Not sure if you took that the wrong way, given the short response. It just is what it is, if the organization makes the parents purchase rainbow helmets, they aren’t going to make those same set of parents come up with a neutral colored helmet for 3-5 try out sessions. 

In my opinion, the colors, stickers, jerseys, shells etc are something the parents put way more thought into than evaluators. It ultimately comes down to what the kid can do on the ice. There are kids who are playing beneath what they’re capable of, and don’t have any fancy stickers to show for it. There are also kids who are playing at a level way beyond their means and have all the fancy swag to show for it. 

Evaluators, most of them, know this reality. I don’t think it’s something to put a lot of thought into, especially at legitimate AAA organizations. 

There are also kids who are playing at a level way beyond their means and have all the fancy swag to show for it. 

Evaluators, most of them, know this reality. I don’t think it’s something to put a lot of thought into, especially at legitimate AAA organizations. 

Aren't these two statements completely contradictory of each other? If a kid isn't qualified to play but has the swag to show that he does, aren't the previous year's evaluators to blame? Note: the current year evaluators are probably mostly the same people.

22 minutes ago, dazedandconfused said:

There are also kids who are playing at a level way beyond their means and have all the fancy swag to show for it. 

Aren't these two statements completely contradictory of each other? If a kid isn't qualified to play but has the swag to show that he does, aren't the previous year's evaluators to blame? Note: the current year evaluators are probably mostly the same people.

Hahahaha dunno I am lost. It didnt matter to me. If my son was good enough he would have taken a yellow helmet players spot.  He didnt, and we will work to improve. 

But some parents that get worked up, especially with the conspiracy theorists about the favoritism and politics in sports, may see that all kids trying out with yellow helmets made it and the 15 without yellow helmets did not. Not a big deal but just an image thing.  But honestly if the evaluators are judging on skill and not who made the program last year it shouldn't matter. 

I take it to mean that the kid is playing at a level too high for what he/she is capable of.  There are some kids that clearly are on a much different level and a kid trying to compete at a level he/she is not ready for sticks out like a sore thumb.  It isn't good for anyone- especially that child - but also for the teammates and the team as a whole.  I imagine it frustrates a lot of parents too to have a kid on their child's team, especially with the amount of money that is being shelled out for some "elite" experiences.  

29 minutes ago, Cowbell said:

I take it to mean that the kid is playing at a level too high for what he/she is capable of.  There are some kids that clearly are on a much different level and a kid trying to compete at a level he/she is not ready for sticks out like a sore thumb.  It isn't good for anyone- especially that child - but also for the teammates and the team as a whole.  I imagine it frustrates a lot of parents too to have a kid on their child's team, especially with the amount of money that is being shelled out for some "elite" experiences.  

I see. I assumed if you made a AAA team or in this case PPE the evaluators determined you are better than others that tried out. We know a few kids that tried out with my son that are top notch players but they did not make it. We will never know how they measured up with the 30 kids on PPE last year. I would assume it wouldbe tough for a player to be on PPE one year and then not make it. Wonder if any didnt. 

there are Gold PPE 09 players that didn't make gold again this year and some PPE black 09 players that didn't make black again this year.  Has to be very tough to swallow.  I know for me it would be, and I've had a lot more years on me of facing disappointments in life and learning to shake off the dust and move on than these young kids have had.

6 minutes ago, Cowbell said:

there are Gold PPE 09 players that didn't make gold again this year and some PPE black 09 players that didn't make black again this year.  Has to be very tough to swallow.  I know for me it would be, and I've had a lot more years on me of facing disappointments in life and learning to shake off the dust and move on than these young kids have had.

I hear ya. 

16 hours ago, Cowbell said:

That's true of kids at any organization who try out for teams. There are some where you can be cut from travel hockey altogether due to the lack of number of teams. In the long run it teaches kids and parents that everything in life doesn't go their way which frankly we need more of in society. Also as pointed out by previous posters, sometimes getting cut one year is the motivation kids need to decide whether or not to push their development. 

• Like 1

There is a good amount of tryout float, as well as new inflow, in each BY from year to year. The below numbers are based on the published tryout results (not based on actual rosters). May be helpful. 

Tryout Results Season
Result by BY 2018-19 2019-20
2010   63
Team 1   28
Team 2   0
Alt   2
0   33
2009 63 51
Team 1 16 17
Team 2 16 17
Alt   7
0 31 10
2008 44 57
Team 1 17 16
Team 2 17 16
Alt   5
0 10 20
2007 56 66
Team 1 17 17
Team 2 17 17
Alt   0
0 22 32
2006 61  
Team 1 17  
Team 2 17  
Alt    
0 27  
2005 70  
Team 1 19  
Team 2 17  
Alt    
0 34  
2004 67  
Team 1 18  
Team 2 19  
Alt    
0 30  
2003 62  
Team 1 20  
Alt    
0 42  
2002 62  
Team 1 19  
0 43  
2001-2    
Team 1    
Alt    
2000-1 60  
Team 1 18  
0 42  

I have no idea what tryout float means nor what these numbers are supposed to tell us. I do hear that the 2007 Team 2 numbers will be lucky to reach 17. Apparently there is a mass exodus toward a PAHL organization in close proximity to the UPMC Center. With that said, the much more intriguing events are still yet to unfold with the impending arrival of who knows how many recruits for the 14U and older teams. Good luck to all of those players who have been there for years and will now be lucky to have a place on those teams.

• Like 1

These are number of players participared in PPE tryouts, broken by BY, how many made Team 1, 2, alternate list, and didn't make it (0). For this year and last year.

You are correct, any post tryout exodus changes are not reflected here.

47 minutes ago, dazedandconfused said:

I have no idea what tryout float means nor what these numbers are supposed to tell us. I do hear that the 2007 Team 2 numbers will be lucky to reach 17. Apparently there is a mass exodus toward a PAHL organization in close proximity to the UPMC Center. With that said, the much more intriguing events are still yet to unfold with the impending arrival of who knows how many recruits for the 14U and older teams. Good luck to all of those players who have been there for years and will now be lucky to have a place on those teams.

many ppe 07s at vengeance 07 tryouts 

5 hours ago, HockeyDad23 said:

What did you guys means kids that make PPE playing above their means?

I wasn’t even alluding to PPE or one organization in particular. There are kids in the majority of organizations across America who are playing above their means. Why? Because most cities (aside from CHI, BOS,DET) don’t have the participation numbers to fill out rosters with kids who are legitimately AAA, AA players. 

Some people on this board like to take things out of context, and spin it towards their anti-PPE agenda. 

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

I wasn’t even alluding to PPE or one organization in particular. There are kids in the majority of organizations across America who are playing above their means. Why? Because most cities (aside from CHI, BOS,DET) don’t have the participation numbers to fill out rosters with kids who are legitimately AAA, AA players. 

Some people on this board like to take things out of context, and spin it towards their anti-PPE agenda. 

Aha I gotcha. I didnt know that. Very interesting. So america in general is short of aaa talent. Wow. Learn a lot. You guys all have your finger on the pulse

6 minutes ago, HockeyDad23 said:

Aha I gotcha. I didnt know that. Very interesting. So america in general is short of aaa talent. Wow. Learn a lot. You guys all have your finger on the pulse

Says the guy trying to stir things up, by way of playing dumb on a message board. Who do you think you’re kidding?

Anyway, yes, outside of the major hockey markets I mentioned (where a lot of the top athletes are playing hockey)... it is very hit or miss, often miss, in regards to teams being able to fill a roster with kids who are best suited to play at whatever level they are trying out at. 

Hockey, in most smaller cities and lukewarm markets is still the 3rd or 4th sport of choice. 

Edited by Rico

5 minutes ago, Rico said:

Says the guy trying to stir things up, by way of playing dumb on a message board. Who do you think you’re kidding?

Anyway, yes, outside of the major hockey markets I mentioned (where a lot of the top athletes are playing hockey)... it is very hit or miss, often miss, in regards to teams being able to fill a roster with kids who are best suited to play at whatever level they are trying out at. 

Hockey, in most smaller cities and lukewarm markets is still the 3rd or 4th sport of choice. 

Rico Im not sure what ur deal is. The is the second time you have gotten confrontational on the thread I started. My family is new to the area and new to hockey. I came here trying to look for advice and have a general conversation to understand hockey, politics, and the “how to prepare my kids.” For the most part it has been a positive experience. Then you spew garbage out of your mouth and make accusations.  Not everyone is as knowledgeable as you.  

And if someone says “play above their means” how am i supposed to know what this means? Maybe Im just not intelligent 

13 minutes ago, HockeyDad23 said:

Rico Im not sure what ur deal is. The is the second time you have gotten confrontational on the thread I started. My family is new to the area and new to hockey. I came here trying to look for advice and have a general conversation to understand hockey, politics, and the “how to prepare my kids.” For the most part it has been a positive experience. Then you spew garbage out of your mouth and make accusations.  Not everyone is as knowledgeable as you.  

And if someone says “play above their means” how am i supposed to know if I like penises or not? Maybe Im just not intelligent. 

Who goes on a message board asking for advice, gets it, then turns around and acts like the people responding are know it alls or being condescending? 

You asked about kids playing above their means, I responded to clarify, you responded with a smartass post talking about how some of us have our fingers on the pulse etc., so you got called out. 

Weirdo. 

Edited by Rico

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

You ask for feedback, you get it, then you turn around and act like a smartass. Who goes on a message board asking for advice, gets it, then turns around and acts like the people responding are know it alls or being condescending? 

You asked about kids playing above their means, I responded to clarify, you responded with a smartass post talking about how some of us have our fingers on the pulse etc., so you got called out. 

Weirdo. 

Yes. You guys all know a lot. It was a compliment.