Travel & Pens Elite Tryouts

The problem is that Rico doesn't know English very well. My menial level education allows me to interpret what he means and that is that he believes players are playing above their abilities not their means. Playing above their means (just as living beyond their means) would imply that they can't afford to play at that level. Now, while we all realize that Rico knows all, he can't possibly know their family incomes.

20 minutes ago, dazedandconfused said:

The problem is that Rico doesn't know English very well. My menial level education allows me to interpret what he means and that is that he believes players are playing above their abilities not their means. Playing above their means (just as living beyond their means) would imply that they can't afford to play at that level. Now, while we all realize that Rico knows all, he can't possibly know their family incomes.

Oh im sorry. I didnt know. Google translate butchers stuff. Sorry Rico. I didnt understand

Playing above their skill set... correct. I am deeply sorry and I put forth my utmost sincere apologies for using the word “means” incorrectly. I now see the mass confusion it caused and while it will take time for all of us to heal... I have taken away a very valuable lesson and I will be better next time. 

With that said, dazedandconfused has about 5 different usernames he regularly uses. The hilarity ensuing when he ends up having conversations with himself in an attempt to further his campaign narrative. Has anyone ever had 4-5 usernames come out of the woodwork to dispute you... That’s Mr.Complex above.

Theres definitely some heated discussions here, and some of us, admittedly can be a little douchey at times. My bad, I’m passionate about the sport. Nothing personal. 

But everyone should really take note that there aren’t nearly as many unique IP’s around here as the username count suggests. So while I’m not an English scholar, I do have a career/expertise in IT and I can tell you all about some of the ? ‘s on here who are acting above their means...

Edited by Rico

39 minutes ago, Rico said:

Playing above their skill set... correct. I am deeply sorry and I put forth my utmost sincere apologies for using the word “means” incorrectly. I now see the mass confusion it caused and while it will take time for all of us to heal... I have taken away a very valuable lesson and I will be better next time. 

With that said, dazedandconfused has about 5 different usernames he regularly uses. The hilarity ensuing when he ends up having conversations with himself in an attempt to further his campaign narrative. Has anyone ever had 4-5 usernames come out of the woodwork to dispute you... That’s Mr.Complex above.

Theres definitely some heated discussions here, and some of us, admittedly can be a little douchey at times. My bad, I’m passionate about the sport. Nothing personal. 

But everyone should really take note that there aren’t nearly as many unique IP’s around here as the username count suggests. So while I’m not an English scholar, I do have a career/expertise in IT and I can tell you all about some of the ? ‘s on here who are acting above their means...

I wonder when some of them will realize that the reason the board has such a small contingent of posters anymore is that people have realized that they’re not as anonymous as they think and are still wondering why their kid keeps getting cut or people won’t hire them to coach anymore. Great post!

Well I think you can come here and talk some s***... every now and again have productive convo, voice your concerns or the reality you know... without fear that anyone from organizations cares enough to ostracize you. Org’s know things aren’t perfect. 

I think the declining participation is more a result of the fact that this board has turned into just constant whining about what PPE is up to...  from people seemingly outside the program. 

Edited by Rico
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Rico said:

Well I think you can come here and talk some s***... every now and again have productive convo, voice your concerns or the reality you know... without fear that anyone from organizations cares enough to ostracize you. Org’s know things aren’t perfect. 

I think the declining participation is more a result of the fact that this board has turned into just constant whining about what PPE is up to...  from people seemingly outside the program. 

Organization heads don't read this to specifically find people. But they know who it is because these people can't help but shoot their mouths off in the rinks. So when you do this, who needs that in their organization?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wampa1 said:

Organization heads don't read this to specifically find people. But they know who it is because these people can't help but shoot their mouths off in the rinks. So when you do this, who needs that in their organization?

Might be the first time I have completely agreed with something @Wampa1 said

• Haha 1

On 3/27/2019 at 6:01 PM, hipcheck66 said:

One of the best things that happened for my son was trying out for the Pens 2 years ago and not even making the 4th day. Lit a real fire under his tail. 

Last year he was offered Black and turned it down. He wants to make Gold and he has improved dramatically in the last 2 years. 

Not making the team he wanted with on-point constructive criticism (which we feel like we received) will drive the right kid to work hard. Did for my son. Hope it does for yours too...

Question about the on-point criticism.  How and when did you and your son receive it?  Was it comments made to him during the tryout or did you contact the PPE and ask?

1 hour ago, twoboys said:

Question about the on-point criticism.  How and when did you and your son receive it?  Was it comments made to him during the tryout or did you contact the PPE and ask?

I have heard multiple people in the past tell me you can contact the organization and they can give you personal feedback based on the assessments

On 4/5/2019 at 12:24 PM, twoboys said:

My son and I had 2 separate discussions with the coach of the Black team last year after the offer was made, prior to my son making his decision. My son specifically asked the coach what he saw in him at tryouts, what he liked in his game, what he thought kept the offer from being Gold, and how the coach would work with him on his game. 

I thought the commentary would be cursory, generalized, and bland. I was wrong. The coach had very specific feedback on all those areas. It was a pointed, accurate, and fair assessment of what my son does well and does not. I left the conversation impressed with his honesty and acumen.

I read all the time on this board about kids not making Gold due to politics or other non hockey factors. Maybe that’s true, maybe it’s not. All I know is that our experience was fair, balanced, and direct. We appreciated it. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 9:56 AM, Hky05 said:

I’ve heard esmark is the same way. The kids wear the shells and stickers even if they are asked not to 

Was at esmark (viperstars)  try out and every kid on the team last year wore their shells even tho site states they arent allowed.  

Edited by Snipetricks5