2021 Rule Changes

On 8/12/2021 at 10:16 PM, carroll81 said:

It was put in to clarify what they tried to eliminate in the last go around.

Two guys battling in the corner, third guys comes in and checks the opponent off the puck - Penalty.

Two guys battling in the corner, third guys comes makes a play on the puck (can use body positioning)  - No Penalty.

They also clarified the body contact while two players are chasing the puck.  Just because there is contact prior to getting to the puck does not mean there is a penalty, even if one player ends up on the ice.  As long as it's a battle for position, no penalty.

Nothing here is really new since the previous rulebook, at least in terms of how they want it called.

That’s always been a penalty. Just never called. 

On 6/15/2021 at 9:44 AM, Lifelongbender said:

@Lifelongbender thanks for posting the new rule changes as per USA Hockey relating delayed off sides - "While other levels (Junior, College, Pro, Intl., etc.) use delayed/tag-up off-sides, using automatic off-sides at the grassroots level encourages development until they achieve the chance to participate at those levels."

I have watched a handful of games this weekend and this rule change is an absolute joke.  It's as if the clowns within USA Hockey want the youth game to be unwatchable.  Slowly but surely they are succeeding.  

• Like 1
  • 100 2

27 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

I have watched a handful of games this weekend and this rule change is an absolute joke.  It's as if the clowns within USA Hockey want the youth game to be unwatchable.  Slowly but surely they are succeeding.  

I've seen multiple games already be curfewed in part due to the extra stoppages. 

• Like 3
  • 100 1
  • Dislike 1

Not just unwatchable but my son said it was horrible to play in. There were so many stoppages and penalties that it made the game not even fun to play. The refs seemed to call a penalty on every check regardless of it was against the new rules or not. At one point my son had the puck. Opposing player lifted the stick shouldered him into the boards just enough to knock him off the puck and made a quick oytlet pass. He got called for a penalty. It was a text book clean defensive play. My son drew the penalty and just shook his and skated to the bench. I'm honestly hoping this was a one off with new and/or confused refs. If not, it's goung to be a loooong season. Oh, and the game lasted over an hour and a half.  

7 minutes ago, Seejay784 said:

Not just unwatchable but my son said it was horrible to play in. There were so many stoppages and penalties that it made the game not even fun to play. The refs seemed to call a penalty on every check regardless of it was against the new rules or not. At one point my son had the puck. Opposing player lifted the stick shouldered him into the boards just enough to knock him off the puck and made a quick oytlet pass. He got called for a penalty. It was a text book clean defensive play. My son drew the penalty and just shook his and skated to the bench. I'm honestly hoping this was a one off with new and/or confused refs. If not, it's goung to be a loooong season. Oh, and the game lasted over an hour and a half.  

Most of the time these rules fade from play after a few months. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ihearthockey said:

I've also watched a couple and, as expected, the checking rules aren't even close to being enforced.  Saw 3 kids engaged at the same time with 1 player.  Saw plenty of hitting well after the puck was gone.  SSDD.

The whole checking rules are a mess. A player can be in possession and still not allowed to be checked. The hell does that mean. I’m not talking about incidental where it’s in their skates and they don’t have the puck. 

The verbage from USA Hockey is intentionally ambiguous and confusing. I think, maybe, I know what their intent is but it’s too vaguely worded for the average person and kid to understand. 

13578391-CB6B-45A9-B45D-5034FC11707A.jpeg

1 hour ago, BeaverFalls said:

The whole checking rules are a mess. A player can be in possession and still not allowed to be checked. The hell does that mean. I’m not talking about incidental where it’s in their skates and they don’t have the puck. 

The verbage from USA Hockey is intentionally ambiguous and confusing. I think, maybe, I know what their intent is but it’s too vaguely worded for the average person and kid to understand. 

13578391-CB6B-45A9-B45D-5034FC11707A.jpeg

You have to be in possession AND control.   You can be in possession without being in control. 

For example, I am stickhandling up the ice and dump it into the corner.  I am in possession and control until I dump it.  I am still in possession until someone else plays the puck.  No more finishing the check, because I am no longer in control of the puck.

It is going to take a few weeks for this to even out.  Just like when they introduce the Standard of Play a few rule books ago.   It took about 2 month for that to work itself out. 

the terminology is awful. If the puck leaves a reasonable area around my body I’m no longer in possession. I can’t possess something I no longer have (see where the difficulty is going to be in explaining to the average Joe and kid?).

I get what USA hockey is trying to do. I don’t necessarily agree with the way they are going about it. I mean nobody wants to see a kid get seriously injured that can’t defend themselves.  But this all goes back to having interference, charging, boarding, head contact etc enforced to standard.  Officiating is difficult enough as it is and the pool of available and willing officials gets smaller every to just keep redefining the rules etc to add to the confusion.

Of course if you’ve ever been to any of the officiating seminars, the some of the guys running it are often the smartest in the room and make sure everyone knows it, and thrive of delving into minutia instead of focusing on the basics for these guys.

7 hours ago, BeaverFalls said:

the terminology is awful. If the puck leaves a reasonable area around my body I’m no longer in possession. I can’t possess something I no longer have (see where the difficulty is going to be in explaining to the average Joe and kid?).

I get what USA hockey is trying to do. I don’t necessarily agree with the way they are going about it. I mean nobody wants to see a kid get seriously injured that can’t defend themselves.  But this all goes back to having interference, charging, boarding, head contact etc enforced to standard.  Officiating is difficult enough as it is and the pool of available and willing officials gets smaller every to just keep redefining the rules etc to add to the confusion.

Of course if you’ve ever been to any of the officiating seminars, the some of the guys running it are often the smartest in the room and make sure everyone knows it, and thrive of delving into minutia instead of focusing on the basics for these guys.

Totally. USA Hockey training is fabulous at making hockey boring. Add in teenagers with short attention spans and it is a recipe for disaster. They need a mentoring system for new refs. They learn more by doing.

• 100 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to update now that we have 5 full games in. I reported earlier that the first game we played was chock full of penalties for mostly clean hits and some that just fell into this "new rule". Well this past weekend it was normal hockey. Kids were taking 2 full strides to finish a check, some big open ice collisions and nothing was called. Only checking infractions we saw were hits up high and boarding. Same as always. The one thing I can say is the players are getting used to no delayed offsides, however, everyone is still icing on the PK for the most part. Teams would rather get the faceoff in their zone and a chance to change clean.