Jump to content

1st Year Checking - Documentary


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Loved the documentary! It was a balanced look at a complicated issue. The tell-tale sign of someone who has no idea what they are talking about is that they think they have all the answers. I like that you didn't try and present some perfect solution. I for sure would love to see a followup. 

I certainly don't have all the answers but my gut feeling would be to introduce checking at the 10U level when even the largest kids on the ice usually top out at less than 100 pounds. But then at the same time have extreme penalties for leaving your feet, making any contact whatsoever with the head, hitting anything except front of jersey, and be super harsh and picky about boarding. I think kids need to develop these skills before they hit puberty. Would also teach awareness to the head down tiny forwards.

Football is certainly an easier sport to learn than hockey, but kids are tackling and learning how to tackle at a young age. You always have really good athletes that start football later, maybe middle school or high school. Oftentimes these kids excel eventually but for the first month or so they are a danger to themselves and others. They don't yet know how to tackle or be tackled, but they are big, fast, and strong. It's dangerous for everyone. Some work through that, others get hurt and never play again.

My thoughts could easily end up being wrong.

Edited by RJUSHL
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RJUSHL said:

I certainly don't have all the answers but my gut feeling would be to introduce checking at the 10U level when even the largest kids on the ice usually top out at less than 100 pounds. But then at the same time have extreme penalties for leaving your feet, making any contact whatsoever with the head, hitting anything except front of jersey, and be super harsh and picky about boarding. I think kids need to develop these skills before they hit puberty. Would also teach awareness to the head down tiny forwards.

Football is certainly an easier sport to learn than hockey, but kids are tackling and learning how to tackle at a young age. You always have really good athletes that start football later, maybe middle school or high school. Oftentimes these kids excel eventually but for the first month or so they are a danger to themselves and others. They don't yet know how to tackle or be tackled, but they are big, fast, and strong. It's dangerous for everyone. Some work through that, others get hurt and never play again.

I haven't watched the documentary yet, but I plan to. On this subject I think @RJUSHL is on the right tack - start body checking as soon as possible, so that smaller, more equally-sized kids can learn it together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Lifelongbender said:

I haven't watched the documentary yet, but I plan to. On this subject I think @RJUSHL is on the right tack - start body checking as soon as possible, so that smaller, more equally-sized kids can learn it together.

Why was it changed from this to begin with? Does anyone know if anyone compared stats of injuries from before pushing checking to older ages to after? Because quite frankly, all of our observations from individual experience really doesn't mean anything, it's all just conjecture.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Saucey said:

Why was it changed from this to begin with? Does anyone know if anyone compared stats of injuries from before pushing checking to older ages to after? Because quite frankly, all of our observations from individual experience really doesn't mean anything, it's all just conjecture.

Excellent point, actually, @Saucey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Saucey said:

Why was it changed from this to begin with? Does anyone know if anyone compared stats of injuries from before pushing checking to older ages to after? Because quite frankly, all of our observations from individual experience really doesn't mean anything, it's all just conjecture.

I would say it's a matter of optics. 

But a case could be made that the equipment at the older kids' sizes is more protective. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe that there were studies done.... I don't know\remember details anymore. It may have been a result\recommendation of the various concussion studies that recommended that we try to limit the potential of brain injury due to collision\contact based on and age-development curve.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, GrumpyOldPucker said:

I believe that there were studies done.... I don't know\remember details anymore. It may have been a result\recommendation of the various concussion studies that recommended that we try to limit the potential of brain injury due to collision\contact based on and age-development curve.

I'm pretty sure that's correct. That's the same reason that girls/women don't have checking at any level. The studies found that female players are much more susceptible to concussions at all ages.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...