Pittsburgh Predators

Which team specifically? 

From an organizational stand point they are the favoritism type. The kids that get the best looks and ice time are the ones who’s parents worship at the alter. They are known to play loose and fast with the rules, have parents manipulate game clocks, argue with refs, fight in the stands, and tout a higher level of play than what they can produce. My experience with them both have being involved at one point to playing against/coaching against them and being a visiting parent dates back to 2004 and ranges from mites to midgets. It’s seems like it’s the same stuff every year. 

Coaching wise they have some good coaches in their system, they also have some that don’t mind having their palms greased to give a kid some extra ice time. 

Lately my experience with their younger teams (mites and squirts) has been mostly positive, aside from the occasional too intense mite parents which you’ll find everywhere. 

• Like 2
  • 100 3

8 hours ago, Wondering aloud said:

Question: love to know how you feel about this team? Sportsmanship wise? Coaching wise? Team bonding wise, club wise?

Do you have a specific team/coach in mind or just the organization as a whole?  I like them all because they give kids an opportunity to play hockey.  Some are just better at it than others.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wondering aloud said:

I heard that they "play to win" which when clarified was meant to mean they play dirty. I wondered if others felt the same way? 

There was a video (or at least a livebarn time and date, I cant completely remember) posted here not that long ago which showed Preds players playing dirty after the whistle and resulted in one player punching a ref. It also resulted in the parents brawling in the stands.

If you are asking as an outsider looking in maybe thinking of moving to the area or possibly changing organizations, I would suggest you look elsewhere unless that kind of atmosphere is your thing. Just my .02 as some random hockey dad on the internet. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, forbin said:

Which team specifically? 

From an organizational stand point they are the favoritism type. The kids that get the best looks and ice time are the ones who’s parents worship at the alter. They are known to play loose and fast with the rules, have parents manipulate game clocks, argue with refs, fight in the stands, and tout a higher level of play than what they can produce. My experience with them both have being involved at one point to playing against/coaching against them and being a visiting parent dates back to 2004 and ranges from mites to midgets. It’s seems like it’s the same stuff every year. 

Coaching wise they have some good coaches in their system, they also have some that don’t mind having their palms greased to give a kid some extra ice time. 

Lately my experience with their younger teams (mites and squirts) has been mostly positive, aside from the occasional too intense mite parents which you’ll find everywhere. 

You can add that description to any travel team in the area.  Most organizations give players in their system the tie breaker during tryouts.  That's nothing different.  My daughter has never played at the Preds so I don't know any specifics, but I know the Arctic Foxes always give kids, dad coaches, etc. special treatment.  I'm sure everyone would agree others due too. Lebo, Shaha, Renegades, Vipers, Dawgs, Armstrong, etc.  Heck, have you read the posts on PPE... Their always about parents, lessons, special treatment.

As for the play, I think it's more about specific players and/or coaches that cause issues.  

The Preds are serious about hockey though.  They don't push the same stuff about "let's all have fun" and that can rub parents the wrong way.  Once you get to U16, I think that is important.

The comment about Ralph, everyone knows it is his rink, his rules, and he does what he wants.  He doesn't deal with a lot of "board" politics like other places.  Unlike some organizations, you have parents on the board who come up with ridiculous options.  I can tell you that when my daughter played foxes they instituted some "skills" days where all the teams had to come at the same time and you had 5-6 teams on the ice running drills with dads like it was mites.  It was a mess.  Her team asked if they could have more team ice instead and the board said they felt this was better "for everyone" and refused.

Again, my daughter never played on any Preds teams, but I don't think they're much different from other organizations in the area.

• Like 1

The truth is there is a ton of negatives but positives as well. Friends of mine have a 2010 that plays on a birth year team at the predators. They deal with alot of politics but stick around because it's convenient to where they live and their son has friends on the team.They have a good coach who has been around hockey all of his life. On the other hand,  the 2011 birth year team is a dumpster fire. From what  I  gather that team is falling apart due to favoritism and  special treatment. The parents are paying a 1000 dollar coaching fee to have a head coach/step daddy who only cares about 1 kid. Anyone who watched a 2011 game knows the drill one puck hog, no passing, and no interest in being a team player, all promoted by a coach who wants to keep his girlfriend happy. The older teams are OK but lots of bad behavior that is encouraged on the 16U and 18U teams. If you looking for a organization the Predators know hockey but you need to play the politics game and accept King Ralph calls the shots and dies not value anyone despite all the money they dish out to be apart of the organization. sad brother but that it's the name of the game over there. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, forbin said:

There was a video (or at least a livebarn time and date, I cant completely remember) posted here not that long ago which showed Preds players playing dirty after the whistle and resulted in one player punching a ref. It also resulted in the parents brawling in the stands.

If you are asking as an outsider looking in maybe thinking of moving to the area or possibly changing organizations, I would suggest you look elsewhere unless that kind of atmosphere is your thing. Just my .02 as some random hockey dad on the internet. 

Last season. U16 AA if I recall correctly. my kids had friends from U18 waiting lto play after. It’s was during the tier 2 district tournament at delmont. My boys got sent some snap chat videos of the parents fighting. There was a predator mom who got tossed yelling at armstrong kids leaving the ice during the ice cut. She was completely out of control  and had a crew with her fighting with everyone. I believe they attacked a one legged armstrong parent or something. Maybe handicapped, can’t recall. On the ice the kids were out of control getting beat, high five’n each other for running armstrong players. yes one kid did punch a ref. 

U18 AA having a line fight against someone last season. I think the huskies ? 

U16 “AAA” 2 years ago - the goalies dad came here and posted under his real name to clear the air about the stuff going on with that team. The owner coached the team that season, kids quit because he wouldn’t kick a kid off the team who bought weed in Canada along with another player and parents. A few trouble maker players, team imploded. Goalie quit and a few other kids if I recall correctly. 

I am not fan, but not so much due to the above reasons even though they add to my feeling on this club. They could have a good program and possibly make the faux AAA more competitive if they would get the main coach out of there. He’s in it solely for the money. Puts kids on “AAA” teams that can’t make pahl AA teams elsewhere because these kids take lessons form this coach, a coach that coaches multiple birth year faux AAA teams over there. 

Currently that place is a money making shit show. The “AAA” is a complete joke. It’s laughable how bad it is. Out of district play off contention every year in the first month of the season. 

Edited by Danner27
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

It's all one entity really and all the $$$$ flows to the owner.

That's a pretty dubious alignment for a youth association.  I would stay away and if you have no other choice, keep an eye on your wallet and ask a lot of questions.

• Like 1

I think all my comments have been summarized above but bad behavior is common there along players, parents, and coaches, the AAA with all their "top teams", and the fact they tend not to develop players very well make me steer very very clear. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, forbin said:

On 5/24/2021 at 9:33 AM, forbin said:

Why does PPE have to be the only game in town? Because they have a fancy arena and the Penguins logo on their chest? And inherited an already good system in the Hornets and then turned their back on the values of that organization by bringing in players from across the country to take the spots of local kids? Then refusing to play other AAA teams because they are to proud to admit they might lose? 

PAHL needs to offer an outlet for the kids that want more ice time and more games. Right now that outlet is independent “faux AAA” teams. If the PAHL had a AAA or, f*ck it even call it AA+ or AA Hybrid for all I care, division would it legitimatize these faux AAA teams for everyone?  

On 7/23/2021 at 5:18 AM, hockeyisgreat said:

Do you have a specific team/coach in mind or just the organization as a whole?  I like them all because they give kids an opportunity to play hockey.  Some are just better at it than others.

Thanks all, it's great to have a forum like this where parents can get the low down and get some honest feedback. These answers all were all pretty consistent and clear to us that this team is not for us. Cheers for taking the time!

Edited by Wondering aloud

42 minutes ago, Wondering aloud said:

Thanks all, it's great to have a forum like this where parents can get the low down and get some honest feedback. These answers all were all pretty consistent and clear to us that this team is not for us. Cheers for taking the time!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, just know EVERY organization has good and bad, and no organization is free of the political bullshit that goes on - no matter what they or anyone else tells you.

• Like 3
  • 100 1

2 hours ago, fafa fohi said:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, just know EVERY organization has good and bad, and no organization is free of the political bullshit that goes on - no matter what they or anyone else tells you.

This is true. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 6:09 PM, poweplay27 said:

The truth is there is a ton of negatives but positives as well. Friends of mine have a 2010 that plays on a birth year team at the predators. They deal with alot of politics but stick around because it's convenient to where they live and their son has friends on the team.They have a good coach who has been around hockey all of his life. On the other hand,  the 2011 birth year team is a dumpster fire. From what  I  gather that team is falling apart due to favoritism and  special treatment. The parents are paying a 1000 dollar coaching fee to have a head coach/step daddy who only cares about 1 kid. Anyone who watched a 2011 game knows the drill one puck hog, no passing, and no interest in being a team player, all promoted by a coach who wants to keep his girlfriend happy. The older teams are OK but lots of bad behavior that is encouraged on the 16U and 18U teams. If you looking for a organization the Predators know hockey but you need to play the politics game and accept King Ralph calls the shots and dies not value anyone despite all the money they dish out to be apart of the organization. sad brother but that it's the name of the game over there. 

A few quick observations...

1) If I’m a betting man, my money is on the fact that someone here has a kid who didn’t make the Preds ‘11 BY team. Too much scorn and down and dirty info there, fact or not, to not have some type of tie in.. reeks of sour grapes.

2) Politics, awful parents, undisciplined players and favoritism are everywhere. Honestly, as far as hockey parents go... has anyone here ever had to spend an afternoon at Center Ice (or whatever it’s called now) against the Badgers? At any level? I mean, is that place a Wal Mart at midnight or a hockey rink? Don’t get me started on the officiating.
Every. Damn. Time. 

3)My son played 3 years for the Predators, 4 for the Hornets before that. I’ll tell you this much... he never had to constantly practice as a 2nd year peewee on a mini rink at 7 a.m. like he did at Mt. Lebanon. If I’m going to deal with politics, it’s a lot more palatable with multiple rinks when all of the teams (yes ... even the B team)  are getting 3 practices a week starting in August. 
Not so much when there is a single rink and 3-4 teams get the bulk of the ice. 

4)Playing devils advocate here but...

Every team/coach has his favorites. It’s unavoidable. Based on pure numbers and opportunities, I’d rather have a coach favor just one player than a dad coach favor his kid and also his 3 or 4 buddies. 
(Here’s looking at you Hornets and SHAHA) Look at it whatever way you want but daddy ball seems to be pretty limited at the Preds.

Again, there may or may not be truth to some of this stuff but just throwing out there based on my experiences. If you can keep the negative people out of your ear  for a short bit and look for the positives, any organization can be a fit. Every organization has been shredded here at one point or the other. This is the Preds turn.

Good luck in your search for an organization. My only advice would be to start with an organization with multiple rinks and go from there. That way, no matter what b.s. is or is not happening you will at least get the ice time.

• Like 1

thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Seems like politics is everywhere and it can be about how much you can even tolerate! 

Have friends who's kids play in Chicago, and politics is the same there too. 

That said, there are some consistent themes that are coming out from this post that would be worth considering, in addition to the fact that I've contacted Ty several times and got no response!,

And all these Faux AAA teams besides Pens and possibly Esmark will never be competitive until politics are set aside and the best players are chosen.  Obviously, I that will never happen so your best bet to play at a higher level is make Pens/Esmark or leave Pittsburgh and roll the dice.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2021 at 12:47 PM, Wondering aloud said:

Did you even try out to see if you would make a team? or have you already turned down your offer that was never made? I think it's funny to talk about a team you didn't even try out for assuming you would make it?

I think it's difficult to say if an organization as a whole is good or not...  usually the politics will reside with the coaches and parents of a particular team.    It's best to do your research and get to know the coaches possibly the parents before you make a switch.    In a head coach bio, you might be able to find out how long they have been in an organization.   It's not even clear what age group you are in.    Sometimes it will not always been greener on another organization.   We had a really good experience with our head coach and parents last year, when in previous years, you would get a few kids move on to the Predators or PPE year after year.    So we all came back this season or at least tried out for the same team.    This is our team 1 for squirts at South Pittsburgh Rebellion at Southpointe... most are 2011, 2nd yr squirts.     I know a few parents on the 2011 Predators team and they have been positive about their experiences there + I like the facility and that they have two sheets of ice..  we usually go there for Quest summer league.   

• Like 1