Pittsburgh Kid Drafted

15 hours ago, Denis Lemiuex said:

Congrats to Ty and his family. Interesting to see multiple kids drafted from AZ, and So Cal. But we had one from WPA. Congrats to all the programs the "stress" player development. Keep up the good work.

To be fair a lot more people live in So Cal than here and probably in Arizona as well although I'm too lazy to look it up.  

OK. But what is the rink to population ratio, How about the number of AAA teams per the population. Having six in our area should be pumping draftable kids every year instead one every two or three years. But how can I say anything. Their websites all said they focus on player development so .....

Congrats to Ty and his family! The journey has just begun!

I haven't seen him play that I can remember. What about his game put him in this position? He doesn't have elite size and he hasn't exactly put up a ton of points, even at 15U and 14U with the Pens, where I would've thought he'd dominate.

I know it doesn't apply to Ty, but it was nice to see so many college kids get drafted the past few days. It even seems like there's an uptick of USHL kids getting their name called! I'd love to see that trend continue.

Great skater and very shifty with the puck. Also potentially a good goal scorer. Not having a OHL season hurt him. The biggest knock was his unwillingness to go to the tough spots. But as a small 16 year old it's understandable. A little more confidence and willingness to go in to the nasty spots and he would have been a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Without a season he didn't get a chance to show if he improved in that area.

3 hours ago, RJUSHL said:

Congrats to Ty and his family! The journey has just begun!

I haven't seen him play that I can remember. What about his game put him in this position? He doesn't have elite size and he hasn't exactly put up a ton of points, even at 15U and 14U with the Pens, where I would've thought he'd dominate.

I know it doesn't apply to Ty, but it was nice to see so many college kids get drafted the past few days. It even seems like there's an uptick of USHL kids getting their name called! I'd love to see that trend continue.

Natural athlete from an athletic family. Dad was a competitive ironman triathlete and a fitness trainer. Ty skated with a skill level above his peers from a very young age. 

Have to root for this kid, his father went against the evil empire (PPE-Morehouse) called them out on things we all discuss here. Will he make the big show ? Likely not but he’s closer than most and way ahead of a few kids from that same birth year that got all the PPE marketing & special treatment. 

• Like 1

Dad is an excellent skater and skills coach. I am glad for Ty, but we all know how hard it is to make it when you aren't big. I thought the NHL was trending towards skill and speed for a while, but not the last two seasons. I would prefer that game over 'grit' and 'goons' as defined by the Canadians...

• Like 1