My Hockey Rankings getting data directly from PAHL?

Does PAHL send data to MyHockeyRankings.com before they even start listing preseason placements on the PAHL website?

For example...

https://myhockeyrankings.com/league_info.php?l=9

Drilling down into some of the divisions, the data seems fairly accurate. For example several former PAHL teams that have decided to go independent this upcoming season not listed in any of the divisions. Other examples make me think this is fairly accurate info.

Maybe it's always been like this, but I haven't noticed it before. 

2 hours ago, RJUSHL said:

Does PAHL send data to MyHockeyRankings.com before they even start listing preseason placements on the PAHL website?

For example...

Drilling down into some of the divisions, the data seems fairly accurate. For example several former PAHL teams that have decided to go independent this upcoming season not listed in any of the divisions. Other examples make me think this is fairly accurate info.

It is primarily done by volunteers:

https://myhockeyrankings.com/report_scores.php

4 hours ago, RJUSHL said:

For example...

this is last season’s placements. 

52 minutes ago, BeaverFalls said:

this is last season’s placements. 

No. There are more teams listed for 16uAA than played last year, for instance. I doubt PAHL sent any thing, divisions haven't been set. My guess is self reporting or people looking at organization websites.

14 minutes ago, Saucey said:

My guess is self reporting or people looking at organization websites.

I was thinking self reporting as well, but the numbers assigned to teams looks like how PAHL assigns numbers. There is too much info here for it to be self-reporting. I think PAHL sent them the data.

22 minutes ago, Saucey said:

I doubt PAHL sent any thing, divisions haven't been set. My guess is self reporting or people looking at organization websites.

That kind of makes sense but it doesn't add up. For example, how would they look at the Preds website and know that their 2009 team is playing independent? They are playing independent, and that matches up with them missing from the 12U AA division on the site. They can't find that looking at a website. I have about a half dozen other examples similar to that. I think PAHL sent MyHockeyRankings the data before they released on their website. Seems strange but I think that's what happened. 

Edited by RJUSHL

1 hour ago, RJUSHL said:

That kind of makes sense but it doesn't add up. For example, how would they look at the Preds website and know that their 2009 team is playing independent? They are playing independent, and that matches up with them missing from the 12U AA division on the site. They can't find that looking at a website. I have about a half dozen other examples similar to that. I think PAHL sent MyHockeyRankings the data before they released on their website. Seems strange but I think that's what happened. 

That's really odd especially at the squirt level.  The others you could probably guestimate who was playing where based on last year. 

1 hour ago, RJUSHL said:

One last time...PAHL did not send data because there is none to send. Placement games haven't happened, the PAHL placement committee has not met. People are guessing or other people are reporting it. For instance, I am not aware that the Pittsburgh Vipers are fielding a 16u AA team this year yet they are in there. 

You sound like a new squirt parent, squirts get placed later than all the other ages, too. You can relax, nothing has happened yet.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Saucey said:

One last time...PAHL did not send data because there is none to send. Placement games haven't happened, the PAHL placement committee has not met. People are guessing or other people are reporting it. For instance, I am not aware that the Pittsburgh Vipers are fielding a 16u AA team this year yet they are in there. 

You sound like a new squirt parent, squirts get placed later than all the other ages, too. You can relax, nothing has happened yet.

? Definitely not a new squirt parent!

Does PAHL create the three digit team code or is that someone else?

I see what you're saying Saucey but it doesn't add up. I think My Hockey Rankings is reporting preliminary (based on PAHL database and teams self-placement) and what we are seeing are the PAHL preliminary placements. They gave the info to My Hockey Rankings. Of course those preliminary placements are subject to change based on placement games and other factors.

From what I can see, the info is pretty accurate and complete. More than what would be possible with all those teams just self-reporting. They clearly had PAHL help.

Edited by RJUSHL

6 hours ago, BeaverFalls said:

The divisions I’m familiar with are the exact same as what they were last year; to include teams that played in an age group last year that aren’t even fielding a team in that age group this year. 

If that’s the case then I may be completely wrong here.

The divisions I’m looking at aren’t the same as last year and they seem to reflect some very accurate info on where I would’ve expected teams to be. 

We’ll see! I saw it yesterday and thought it was interesting so I posted it. 

Edited by RJUSHL

7 hours ago, BeaverFalls said:

The divisions I’m familiar with are the exact same as what they were last year; to include teams that played in an age group last year that aren’t even fielding a team in that age group this year. 

Look at 12U and 10U. They are all different. Different birth years, different team numbers, etc. 

14 hours ago, Saucey said:

No. There are more teams listed for 16uAA than played last year, for instance. I doubt PAHL sent any thing, divisions haven't been set. My guess is self reporting or people looking at organization websites.

@Saucey is right on this. The divisions haven't been set yet at PAHL. 

That data is, as far as I can tell, entered by volunteers. I do not believe that PAHL does anything with MHR.

• 100 1

34 minutes ago, Lifelongbender said:

@Saucey is right on this. The divisions haven't been set yet at PAHL. 

That data is, as far as I can tell, entered by volunteers. I do not believe that PAHL does anything with MHR.

Did PAHL assign the three digit code that is used by My Hockey Rankings?

33 minutes ago, RJUSHL said:

Did PAHL assign the three digit code that is used by My Hockey Rankings?

2 minutes ago, Jack Handey said:

Ever consider that there is an MHR volunteer on the PAHL placement committee?  The committee has a few left brained mathy types, which coincidentally fits the profile of most MHR volunteers.

Oh my god. ? Regardless, it doesn't mean anything at this stage in the game.  

• Like 1
  • Epic 1

1 hour ago, Jack Handey said:

Ever consider that there is an MHR volunteer on the PAHL placement committee?  The committee has a few left brained mathy types, which coincidentally fits the profile of most MHR volunteers.

Yea that wouldn't surprise me.

54 minutes ago, Saucey said:

Oh my god. ? Regardless, it doesn't mean anything at this stage in the game.  

No one said it did mean anything. No problem if you're not interested in this discussion. Thanks for letting us all know.

12 minutes ago, BeaverFalls said:

i think they are using them as a placeholder. This years registered teams under last year’s placement. 

I think you are exactly right! They received all the registered teams from PAHL and then just slotted them in on their own under placements from last year. So it includes current registered PAHL teams and that explains how they seem to know which teams are now independent, etc.