Takeovers of Center Ice & New Ken

7 hours ago, GrumpyOldPucker said:

Heard that EVERYONE that enters the rink has to sign a waiver..... players, coaches, fans, everyone.... 

Are you saying that they're having people sign waivers at the door? But no masking or other measures?

Ah, yes, I see on their website that they are requiring an online waiver before entering the facility.

Edited by Lifelongbender
added information found on the web

It's all about big business at those places now. I've heard a lot of people complimenting what's been done at Palmer but at what long term cost to the consumer? When they purchased Southpointe, they immediately sent the hourly rate through the roof as there was nothing that those teams could do except quit the season. They've only increased the costs "moderately" so far at both rinks but that's probably not going to continue past this season.

Don't know about masks and such as I had stopped in there in May (when they were still required) and was told that a waiver was needed to remain in the facility..... I did not "remain in the facility". Take it for what it is, just reporting a little first hand experience.... Not saying it's good or bad, but then again I no longer have any real reason to go into very many of the rinks in western PA anymore.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

An increase could be justified, if say they actually clean and maintain the place. 

My biggest concern would be them pushing their own teams and league, and these organizations being pushed out or dissolved. I know some skills coaches have already been pushed out. 

If skills coaches are being pushed out there must be plenty of demand for ice at the price they are asking?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

If skills coaches are being pushed out there must be plenty of demand for ice at the price they are asking?

I'm guessing here, but they might want to run their own skills sessions, with employees they can pay 15/hr to, instead of outside coaches making all the money. 

On 8/13/2021 at 4:40 AM, nemesis8679 said:

I'm guessing here, but they might want to run their own skills sessions, with employees they can pay 15/hr to, instead of outside coaches making all the money. 

$15 an hour for skills session instructors. Lmao. Okay. Maybe when Brent gets off his shift flipping burgers he will come over and show your kid how to dangle.  But idiots out there will do it. 

Edited by BeaverFalls

3 hours ago, BeaverFalls said:

$15 an hour for skills session instructors. Lmao. Okay. Maybe when Brent gets off his shift flipping burgers he will come over and show your kid how to dangle.  But idiots out there will do it. 

Oh, I'm not saying the client's are paying 15 an hour. That'll still be 50 or more. But the perception of value will be there, and people will do it. I guarantee I can find some young guys that just aged out of AAA or ACHA that would take the job, too. 

• 100 1

7 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

Oh, I'm not saying the client's are paying 15 an hour. That'll still be 50 or more. But the perception of value will be there, and people will do it. I guarantee I can find some young guys that just aged out of AAA or ACHA that would take the job, too. 

Yeah sorry didn’t mean to implicate that’s what you meant…Oh I know on all accounts. 

I would like to know how some of you would run a rink or if you would invest in rinks with the same thoughts, statements or ideas that are being made here? Would you not raise rates and reinvest back into the facility, or would you keep it a shit hole and do nothing and be called a rink slum lord. Would you create programing that would increase revenue or would you just rent the ice by hour to others and allow them to profit. Not to long ago rinks where a bad investment and where being sold off and closing. Now some have figured out how to make it work and create alternative revenue streams or ways to become profitable. A rink not making a profit is soon not to be a rink, so if you are against it, are you prepared to go somewhere else. In the end it is upto them to deliver on the programing and good programs can make or break a rink. If you look at Baierl Ice rink, they did the same as what is being said on here, they pushed out a lot of the private instruction and slowy limited a few back in, they raised the hourly rates as contracts expired, they introduced their own programing. That rink is booked morning to late night all season and all spring and summer. They do a great job and have reinvested back into the facility including new compersors, additional locker rooms and other upgrades, while I don't know they are currently profitabil at the moment with sut downs, I can sure say that rink is run top notch and is one of the nicer rinks in the area and compares with many of the new rinks that have been built much more recently. As far as the private instructors, I don't feel bad, I see them make $50 to $100 a kid and having 8 to 20 kids on the ice, good for them, I'm sure they are smart enough to work something out or find a better deal elsewhere, they are not going away and if they are really good, they will evolve into other buisness oppertuinties. I say this, the more rinks in the area, the better for the game and the people. I hope to see the current rinks able to expand, add sheets, add workout areas or things like roller hockey and keep the game growing, I don't want to see rinks closing and becoming warehouse or churches, it was not long ago that this happen to airport ice rink, almost happen to the blade runners "Baierl and Alpha" Mt.Lebo did not want to spend the money to fix it facilaty, Hess was a shit hole, Beaver County was looking to shut down, look what happen to southside rink, you want to talk about shitholes, does anyone remeber the rave parties it was hosting to stay a float and the mess after? I'll take paying a couple bucs extra fro ice, I'll spend my money on a coffee at the snack bar that I know is twice as much as it should be in order to make sure the rink stays a rink. I think I ranted enough for today.

28 minutes ago, mrfreeze said:

I would like to know how some of you would run a rink or if you would invest in rinks with the same thoughts, statements or ideas that are being made here? Would you not raise rates and reinvest back into the facility, or would you keep it a shit hole and do nothing and be called a rink slum lord. Would you create programing that would increase revenue or would you just rent the ice by hour to others and allow them to profit. Not to long ago rinks where a bad investment and where being sold off and closing. Now some have figured out how to make it work and create alternative revenue streams or ways to become profitable. A rink not making a profit is soon not to be a rink, so if you are against it, are you prepared to go somewhere else. In the end it is upto them to deliver on the programing and good programs can make or break a rink. If you look at Baierl Ice rink, they did the same as what is being said on here, they pushed out a lot of the private instruction and slowy limited a few back in, they raised the hourly rates as contracts expired, they introduced their own programing. That rink is booked morning to late night all season and all spring and summer. They do a great job and have reinvested back into the facility including new compersors, additional locker rooms and other upgrades, while I don't know they are currently profitabil at the moment with sut downs, I can sure say that rink is run top notch and is one of the nicer rinks in the area and compares with many of the new rinks that have been built much more recently. As far as the private instructors, I don't feel bad, I see them make $50 to $100 a kid and having 8 to 20 kids on the ice, good for them, I'm sure they are smart enough to work something out or find a better deal elsewhere, they are not going away and if they are really good, they will evolve into other buisness oppertuinties. I say this, the more rinks in the area, the better for the game and the people. I hope to see the current rinks able to expand, add sheets, add workout areas or things like roller hockey and keep the game growing, I don't want to see rinks closing and becoming warehouse or churches, it was not long ago that this happen to airport ice rink, almost happen to the blade runners "Baierl and Alpha" Mt.Lebo did not want to spend the money to fix it facilaty, Hess was a shit hole, Beaver County was looking to shut down, look what happen to southside rink, you want to talk about shitholes, does anyone remeber the rave parties it was hosting to stay a float and the mess after? I'll take paying a couple bucs extra fro ice, I'll spend my money on a coffee at the snack bar that I know is twice as much as it should be in order to make sure the rink stays a rink. I think I ranted enough for today.

No one said that it didn't have its benefits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

Don't they already have the former Iceoplex at Southpointe? Or is there another rink in the South Hills you're referring to?

I'm just riffing here, but Black Bear could be the best thing that ever happened to Rostraver.

I'm not saying anyone is talking about that. I am saying they should be.

Edited by Lifelongbender

I know that some of the people that were giving private lessons in Delmont have been having a hard time getting access to the ice schedules.  In the past the schedules were released at the start of each month, but now it seems like it is only a week or two at a time, which is making it more difficult to get students scheduled.

1 hour ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

Don't they already have the former Iceoplex at Southpointe? Or is there another rink in the South Hills you're referring to?

Ice Castle is the only one I can think of that meets Black Bears M.O. and I don't see them selling. 

• 100 2

2 hours ago, Corsi said:

I know that some of the people that were giving private lessons in Delmont have been having a hard time getting access to the ice schedules.  In the past the schedules were released at the start of each month, but now it seems like it is only a week or two at a time, which is making it more difficult to get students scheduled.

I have a friend who does some teaching out there who has had issues with both the rising cost of ice and the ice schedule issue. I think this is entirely correct.