2019-2020 Tryouts

The SHAHA U15 team is seeking 2004BY players to fill the remaining open positionson their birth year team. 

Coached by Dave Machiewitz 

Team will compete in PAHL for the 2019/20 season as well as an independent U15 AA schedule and available tournaments. 

Players are encouraged to signup by Sunday April 21st for the SHAHA A/B general tryouts to be held on Monday April 22 & Wednesday April 24th to be considered for the U15 team. Team will be notified shortly after the 2nd day of tryouts.

1 hour ago, Southparkdad75 said:

The SHAHA U15 team is seeking 2004BY players to fill the remaining open positionson their birth year team. 

Coached by Dave Machiewitz 

Team will compete in PAHL for the 2019/20 season as well as an independent U15 AA schedule and available tournaments. 

Players are encouraged to signup by Sunday April 21st for the SHAHA A/B general tryouts to be held on Monday April 22 & Wednesday April 24th to be considered for the U15 team. Team will be notified shortly after the 2nd day of tryouts.

Is this different than the u16aa tryout on April 25 and May 3 that’s listed on the website.  There’s no u15aa listed on website 

6 minutes ago, Hky05 said:

Is this different than the u16aa tryout on April 25 and May 3 that’s listed on the website.  There’s no u15aa listed on website 

Yes. The U16AA team has their own AA tryouts scheduled later in the week.

This U15 team was not advertised originally. The U15 team is inviting players that are interested in playing on the 04BY coached by Dave Machiewitz to register for general A/B tryouts. A little bit backwards but it works out well. 

5 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

The South Hills players/teams appear to be migrating away from the Predators over the last year and a half. What's causing this?

I am not sure but I keep hearing rumors that SHAHA is having financial troubles  I hope it isn't true and/or an influx of players might help them. Hate to see an organization struggle when hockey numbers are at all time highs in the city. 

3 hours ago, Chinstrap said:

How long ago did SHAHA’s house become a single sheet? It has been one sheet since my kid started playing. 

maybe 3 years ago.. when the YMCA bought the building...  Not sure what the long term status of the remaining open sheet is or what sort of agreement SHAHA has with the YMCA.  But it seems like for sure the number of teams has gone down since they went to 1 sheet.

Edited by Paul Baxter
Corrected post

4 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

I'm confused by that. It seems more and more that the higher end teams that use more ice are moving toward SHAHA and now Lebo. I will say  that the dynamic out there with 3 locations that only have one sheet to work with has to be difficult for those organizations.

At the younger ages, SHAHA seems to have the better teams than the Preds.     

28 minutes ago, HereWithPopcorn said:

To correct it even further, there were 8 ADM teams and 20 full ice teams (Girls U12, 5 Squirts, 6 PeeWees, 5 Bantams and 3 Midgets.

Also, they are starting season 4 of a 10 year agreement for the single sheet

It makes you wonder how often, if at all teams get full ice practices.

11 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

It makes you wonder how often, if at all teams get full ice practices.

Early on there is full ice on weekends before games begins, then during gaps in games in the regular season schedule and when teams they partner practice with are out of town.  So generally about 5-10 a season per team.

3 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

I see 4 at 10U and 5 at 12U in PAHL listing. I forgot that the 06 team was independent and didn't consider the girls. Did they have a 10U independent team? Also, the U18 didn't practice did they? It's still a lot of teams for one sheet. How many did Lebo and Southpointe have?

First, I hope shaha figures out how to right the financial side if those rumors are true. 

second, lebo usually has 10 u8 teams which is crazy and 5 u10 teams

1 hour ago, aaaahockey said:

First, I hope shaha figures out how to right the financial side if those rumors are true. 

second, lebo usually has 10 u8 teams which is crazy and 5 u10 teams

Aren't the 8u playing cross ice? That's not a huge amount of teams for cross ice. How many on a team? If the number on a team is low, also not a lot. Mt Lebo is a big program, that number sounds about right to me.

2 hours ago, Saucey said:

Aren't the 8u playing cross ice? That's not a huge amount of teams for cross ice. How many on a team? If the number on a team is low, also not a lot. Mt Lebo is a big program, that number sounds about right to me.

I guess some cross and some half Ice. It's approximately 120 kids who I assume have 2-3 practices a week on one and a half sheets of ice. Seems like a lot to me but I'm old fashioned haha

The SCIR will be holding an open skate for their 18U teams on Sunday April 28th from 11:30am-12:50pm at Alpha Ice Complex in Harmar. Players interested in either of the following team options should plan to attend or contact SCIR Registrar at scir.registrar@gmail.com for more information.

1. 18U Full season – PAHL and local tournaments, high school friendly with Wednesday practices
  2. 18U Split season – 25-30 games and National Bound, local and travel tournaments, local and travel independent games. Majority of games will be played before HS season begins. Tournaments begin in mid-August.
Edited by SCIR Registrar

• 2 weeks later...

Renegades forming a second 18U Split-Season Team
The Steel City Ice Renegades are holding a tryout for a 18U Team that will play Split Season around the PIHL Varsity Season and looking to be a competitive National Tournament Bound team. This team will participate in a 25-30 games that will be played at local / travel tournaments and local / travel independent games. The Majority of the games will be played, in mid-August, before the PIHL season begins. The tryouts will be held on the following two dates at the Alpha Ice Complex in Harmar.

• Tuesday, May 21st, 7:00 - 8:20 PM
  • Wednesday, May 22nd, 6:30 - 7:50 PM

Players interested must complete the Renegades Season Registration Form, https://go.teamsnap.com/forms/190040, selecting the 18U SPlit-Season Mixed-Year tryout Option and paying the $150 registration fee by Sunday, May 19th at 7:00PM.