2021 Placements

• 1 month later...

Can anyone who understands the PAHL placement process explain a bit how it works? Now that all placement games have been completed, what happens next? Is there a committee that meets today? Is it a lot of judgement based on placement scores or is it more formulaic?

Edited by RJUSHL

There is a committee that meets, but maybe not today, exactly. They look at the results of the games. Most teams will remain where they are, but some teams will be moved either because of the outcomes of their games, or because they appealed and demonstrated through extra games that they do not belong where they were placed. Initial placements are based on a combination of proposed placement (from the organization) and a database of players they keep for reference. Then discussion occurs at the meetings about teams that had unexpected placement game outcomes.

To be honest, I agree with those who have said on this discussion board elsewhere that PAHL generally does a good job on placements. There are always teams that either don't get placed right, or for whom there really wasn't a good place to put them, but by and large the system works as well as it can given the huge number of moving parts.

2 hours ago, RJUSHL said:

How common are appeal games? I've never been involved in one.

Although appeal games rarely overturn PAHL's final placement of teams, they are particularly done by teams wanting to be placed in a higher division spurred by the rumblings of anabolic parents and their desire for their kid to play at a higher level.

Edited by fafa fohi
  • 100 1

50 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

Although appeal games rarely overturn PAHL's final placement of teams, they are particularly done by teams wanting to be placed in a higher division spurred by the rumblings of anabolic parents and their desire for their kid to play at a higher level.

If you do play an appeal do they pick a random team or the expected lowest team or the expected highest team?

3 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

If you do play an appeal do they pick a random team or the expected lowest team or the expected highest team?

They will suggest a few teams but it is up to you to find the game. You have to find another team willing to do it for you. Appeals are rarely granted, as Forbin said.

1 hour ago, BeaverFalls said:

https://www.pahockey.com/teamplacement

As it’s been said on here already. The likelihood of moving from the initial placement to a different division, let alone appealing after final placement is extremely low. 

From what I have heard the placement committee is very thorough in their reviews before they place teams.  When in question they review all the players on a team as to previous playing experience.  I would think the hardest placements are in squirt and you are pretty much left to an associations assessment of the teams.  It's a big job I wouldn't want to do!

33 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

From what I have heard the placement committee is very thorough in their reviews before they place teams.  When in question they review all the players on a team as to previous playing experience.  I would think the hardest placements are in squirt and you are pretty much left to an associations assessment of the teams.  It's a big job I wouldn't want to do!

I’d say as a whole they do a pretty darn good job. Is it perfect?  Far from it. There usually is a team that’s probably too good for a division and a team that has no business being there…that being said it’s a far far cry better than it was competitive wise than it was 10, 20 and 30 years ago. 

Anyone have the placements/divisions yet?

Association presidents should have those at some point today. I’m guessing there is someone on the placement committee in this forum. 

PAHL does a surprisingly good job with placements. I do feel like the misplacements are usually the smaller organizations. Their formula which considers where kids played the previous year isn’t as helpful with the small organizations. But then placement games usually sort this out pretty well at least from my experience. 

2 hours ago, RJUSHL said:

Anyone have the placements/divisions yet?

Association presidents should have those at some point today. I’m guessing there is someone on the placement committee in this forum. 

PAHL does a surprisingly good job with placements. I do feel like the misplacements are usually the smaller organizations. Their formula which considers where kids played the previous year isn’t as helpful with the small organizations. But then placement games usually sort this out pretty well at least from my experience. 

Ive found the exact opposite to be true, where one or two good players cause an entire team to be bumped up several levels above their ability. So it’s a case by case scenario. 

17 minutes ago, RJUSHL said:

Wow. Would you mind sharing some particulars? That’s a pretty drastic change. How did it work out in the end?

Sure. Keep in mind last year was an odd year due to Covid. So they skipped placement games.

we were listed as A minor gold. Our coach looked at our roster and where kids were prior year and thought PAHL was way off.

Our team loaded a ton of scrimmages against PAHl teams one to 2 divisions above us. Because PA was closed we bought ice in Ohio.

Our team outshot and out scored opponents. In the end the team moved up to A Major white. Scoresheets and evals were sent to PAHl for consideration

They played a little over 50 games between tournaments and PAHL. In PAHL they finished around the .500 mark. Games were very competitive and didnt have any blowouts.

Edited by HockeyDad23
Added more content
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, HockeyDad23 said:

Sure. Keep in mind last year was an odd year due to Covid. So they skipped placement games.

we were listed as A minor gold. Our coach looked at our roster and where kids were prior year and thought PAHL was way off.

Our team loaded a ton of scrimmages against PAHl teams one to 2 divisions above us. Because PA was closed we bought ice in Ohio.

Our team outshot and out scored opponents. In the end the team moved up to A Major white. Scoresheets and evals were sent to PAHl for consideration

They played a little over 50 games between tournaments and PAHL. In PAHL they finished around the .500 mark. Games were very competitive and didnt have any blowouts.

The diligence this team took is what it takes to be moved. Whining, using one game score etc won’t cause a team to be moved. 

• 100 1