2021 Placements

4 minutes ago, BeaverFalls said:

The diligence this team took is what it takes to be moved. Whining, using one game score etc won’t cause a team to be moved. 

You are correct. We had to book ice out of town and ask parents to pay ice rental money to get games in otherwise we would have been A minor gold and undefeated. The kids obviously matured and learned more in the correct division

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corsi said:

Does anyone know the last time a team successfully appealed and was moved up a division?  Also, is there any history with teams appealing to move down?

A 10u team in A minor protested up successfully to A major last year.  They finished in the upper half of their division.  

Edited by Ihearthockey
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, BeaverFalls said:

Ive found the exact opposite to be true, where one or two good players cause an entire team to be bumped up several levels above their ability. So it’s a case by case scenario. 

I asked around last night and apparently this exact thing happened a few years ago with a State College team.  My friend phrased it like this, "they had a really good goalie and a AAA level defenseman and ended up playing in the championship game."  That team was apparently bumped to AA after blowing everyone out in their placement games and then finding their own appeal game that they were competitive in.  The "one or two players" scenario seems to hold most true at the younger age levels, where speed and experience can let a player or two have an extreme impact on an entire team.  

10 minutes ago, Corsi said:

I asked around last night and apparently this exact thing happened a few years ago with a State College team.  My friend phrased it like this, "they had a really good goalie and a AAA level defenseman and ended up playing in the championship game."  That team was apparently bumped to AA after blowing everyone out in their placement games and then finding their own appeal game that they were competitive in.  The "one or two players" scenario seems to hold most true at the younger age levels, where speed and experience can let a player or two have an extreme impact on an entire team.  

That’s interesting. Placing teams in smaller orgs is challenging because there can be a large talent disparity between the top and bottom of the roster. You see this much less at places that field 5+ teams at each age group. 

A few years ago my son's team moved down from AA.  It was pretty straightforward.  A minor team playing AA.  Lost our goalie from the prior year and our best player from the year before.  We were a shell of our former team.  Another time we asked to moved down.  Crickets.  Had an unbelievably bad record.  Surprisingly, no one (parents or kids) cared in the end.

Where the placement process really fails is at Pee Wee A Major Black.  Or at least it failed when my kids played there.  Usually, there is one team that deserves to be AA and doesn't gete it.  That team basically is unstoppable.  

7 hours ago, RJUSHL said:

That’s interesting. Placing teams in smaller orgs is challenging because there can be a large talent disparity between the top and bottom of the roster. You see this much less at places that field 5+ teams at each age group. 

Obviously you have an ax to grind with smaller organizations.  Shouldn’t they opposite be true?  If an organization can field 7 teams, wouldn’t they have more money and resources?

31 minutes ago, BeaverFalls said:

Obviously you have an ax to grind with smaller organizations.  Shouldn’t they opposite be true?  If an organization can field 7 teams, wouldn’t they have more money and resources?

I have no axe to grind. I’ve really never had any major issue with placements. PAHL does a nice job imo. All I’m saying is that if an organization has two teams, there could be a wide delta between the top player and the bottom player on each team. Not saying that’s bad at all, just saying that has the potential to make placement more challenging. But they usually get it right. 

I have no clue what I said to make you think I have an issue with smaller organizations. Your comment makes no sense.

Edited by RJUSHL
  • Like 1

Yes, a larger organization with more players in each age group has a better chance of having players across all skill levels, while a smaller organization will normally be forced to place players on the same team that would be divided by 2 or more teams in a larger organization.  Then there's a decision to be made if you play at a lower level and allow the few high skilled players dominate or play at those players skill level and force the less skilled players to either work to catch up or get exposed at the higher level.  It can be a really difficult decision for for the organization to make.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RJUSHL said:

I have no axe to grind. I’ve really never had any major issue with placements. PAHL does a nice job imo. All I’m saying is that if an organization has two teams, there could be a wide delta between the top player and the bottom player on each team. Not saying that’s bad at all, just saying that has the potential to make placement more challenging. But they usually get it right. 

I have no clue what I said to make you think I have an issue with smaller organizations. Your comment makes no sense.

Youve bashed “smaller” (see inferior) organizations repeatedly on this bored, while acting hokey and as if people can’t see through your thinly veiled act as to who you are and what you’re advocating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeaverFalls said:

Youve bashed “smaller” (see inferior) organizations repeatedly on this bored, while acting hokey and as if people can’t see through your thinly veiled act as to who you are and what you’re advocating.

You sir, are a weird dude. 

What am advocating exactly? And who is it that you think I am?

Edited by RJUSHL

42 minutes ago, RJUSHL said:

What am advocating exactly? And who is it that you think I am?

I don't think he's "bashing" anything.  I've been involved with both ends of the spectrum and there's pluses and minuses when it comes to both.  Within PAHL, there are more organizations which would be considered on the "small" side and only a handful on the "large" side.  I believe that RJUSHL's point has been that in the current make up of the league, small organizations are at somewhat of a disadvantage on the ice simply due to the numbers game.  I haven't read any of his posts and had the feeling that he's anti-small organizations.  Much of what he's stating, is for the most part, true within the landscape of PAHL.  The reason some organizations are at a disadvantage is due to their location and the the population of the area where their rink is located.  It is nearly impossible for organizations like State College, Indiana, Lawrence County, and Beaver County to compete with the likes of Mt. Lebanon, SHAHA, Allegheny, etc on a yearly basis.  It is not those organizations fault, it is simply a numbers game and I feel that RJUSHL is just pointing that out when he is making references to "small" and "large" organizations.  This ultimately does come into play when you are talking about placements and the competitive balance within the league.  

1 hour ago, RJUSHL said:

What am advocating exactly? And who is it that you think I am?

Be careful what you ask!  

And I agree with you about the smaller orgs. The hockey world is small enough for many of us to put things together (and no I don't know who you are but beaver falls might) 

Edited by aaaahockey

27 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

Be careful what you ask!  

And I agree with you about the smaller orgs. The hockey world is small enough for many of us to put things together (and no I don't know who you are but beaver falls might) 

You're probably right. I don't really care too much if he knows who I am but for some reason I struck a nerve with him. I don't have some super secret agenda. I try and be reasonable on here but I guess some people just take it personally when they disagree with an opinion. I've been wrong about things before and I'm sure I'll be wrong about things again.

Edited by RJUSHL

10 hours ago, RJUSHL said:

You're probably right. I don't really care too much if he knows who I am but for some reason I struck a nerve with him. I don't have some super secret agenda. I try and be reasonable on here but I guess some people just take it personally when they disagree with an opinion. I've been wrong about things before and I'm sure I'll be wrong about things again.

Thanks for sharing your opinions and insight.  I thought that is what a forum is for.  To share info, experience, and opinion.  This would be a really boring place if everyone agreed on everything. 

On 9/22/2021 at 5:44 PM, BeaverFalls said:

I don't think that is the reason.  I think it has to do with most smaller organizations are the only game in town.  Thus, the parent of a high level AA or AAA kid must decide if he or she wants to drive to another organization with a better team or not.  Or stay put and have their kid dominate at A Major Black.  This is usually the case in Squirts and to a lesser extent peewee.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 10:49 AM, twoboys said:

I don't think that is the reason.  I think it has to do with most smaller organizations are the only game in town.  Thus, the parent of a high level AA or AAA kid must decide if he or she wants to drive to another organization with a better team or not.  Or stay put and have their kid dominate at A Major Black.  This is usually the case in Squirts and to a lesser extent peewee.

Thank you twoboys.  That is exactly what I posted last week when it comes to higher skilled players at the younger age groups.  When you have that happen at a smaller organization there isn't a population of like skilled players to pull from, so the better players and their parents have to make choices as to where to play.

On 9/24/2021 at 9:05 AM, hockeyisgreat said:

Has anyone heard of any appeals?  Any appeals games on Sunday?  Are Appeals Hearings automatically granted?  

The only appeal game I know about is the South Pgh 2009 team appealing their 12U Major Black Placement. They played the Aviators 2010 team yesterday in an appeal game. MHR shows a 1-1 tie for the game.

Looks like South Pgh also tied Yetis AA and lost by 1 to Lebo AA. Not sure how PAHL placement committee will view those results. I'm guessing that's not convincing enough and that they will stay at Major Black.

Also based on the divisions that were posted earlier in this thread, it looks like the Aviators 2010 team will play PAHL AA this year. Kudos to them for staying in PAHL and playing teams almost exclusively a year older than they are.

Edited by RJUSHL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RJUSHL said:

Also based on the divisions that were posted earlier in this thread, it looks like the Aviators 2010 team will play PAHL AA this year. Kudos to them for staying in PAHL and playing teams almost exclusively a year older than they are.

Hope it goes better for them than most of the AA minor birthyear teams. If they lose all their games they might leave and go AAA independent next year. 

1 hour ago, aaaahockey said:

Hope it goes better for them than most of the AA minor birthyear teams. If they lose all their games they might leave and go AAA independent next year. 

Looking at the Aviators MHR, they've done ok against some AA teams that are a year older. Where did this team come from? I don't remember them last year in squirts.

Edited by RJUSHL

1 hour ago, RJUSHL said:

Looking at the Aviators MHR, they've done ok against some AA teams that are a year older. Where did this team come from? I don't remember them last year in squirts.

I have no idea but didn't have a squirt last year. I don't remember many aviators teams in general last year though  I was just teasing about how the Preds 09 team did last year. 

• Haha 1