AAA Updates?

Now that the season is moving forward I was curious to see if anyone has game updates on the numerous AAA teams within WPA.  Some games have been reported on MHR but there's many that have not.  Of particular interest is at the 05 and 06 BY's as there are so many WPA teams at this level.

Figured I would be the one to stir the pot and get the conversation going.

Edited by fafa fohi

My expectations heading into this year would be as follows:

PPE - top tier as expected

Esmark - basically the old Vengeance team plus a few.  They've played together, I expect good results from them.  Plus it looks like they got a couple Russian imports.  

Vengeance - totally new team, going to take a while to gel.  Wouldn't be surprised if they struggled this year.  I'd say the goal here is probably to get better as the year goes on and finish strong.  

Icemen - see Vengeance

Vengeance and Icemen would probably be better off playing some top AA/low AAA teams this year.  I know alot of the kids on both teams and while they have talent, there's something to be said about teams that have played with each other for years.   

Edited by Ihearthockey

25 minutes ago, Ihearthockey said:

My expectations heading into this year would be as follows:

PPE - top tier as expected

Esmark - basically the old Vengeance team plus a few.  They've played together, I expect good results from them.  Plus it looks like they got a couple Russian imports.  

Vengeance - totally new team, going to take a while to gel.  Wouldn't be surprised if they struggled this year.  I'd say the goal here is probably to get better as the year goes on and finish strong.  

Icemen - see Vengeance

Vengeance and Icemen would probably be better off playing some top AA/low AAA teams this year.  I know alot of the kids on both teams and while they have talent, there's something to be said about teams that have played with each other for years.   

Is there one birth year you are specifically referring to here?

2 hours ago, Duster19 said:

That 07 vengeance team will be interesting to watch.  The best players from last season left and went to Esmark.  So the vengeance added some A Major kids from foxes and NP instead.

Not to mention that it looks like they are under-rostered, if you look at the website.  4 D?  That's going to make it tough to win.  Unless you convert a forward.  But then you're still a player short with only 14 skaters.  

Edited by Ihearthockey

42 minutes ago, Saucey said:

Can you put it in context? Who did they play? 

Nevermind. I found it. Cheektowaga Warriors, Amherst Knights, Wheatfield Blades and the Pittsburgh Preds. Warriors and Blades are listed in my hockey as AA. 

Screenshot_20210831-083443.png

Edited by Saucey
Added Wheatfield

2 hours ago, Ihearthockey said:

Not to mention that it looks like they are under-rostered, if you look at the website.  4 D?  That's going to make it tough to win.  Unless you convert a forward.  But then you're still a player short with only 14 skaters.  

Could be by design to add players as they go along. Not necessarily a bad plan rather than locking in kids that shouldn’t be there, IF that is indeed the plan. 

On 8/30/2021 at 10:06 AM, Ihearthockey said:

Spoken like a parent of of the families that left and went to Esmark. Let's see how they enjoy it when the Igor and Sergei are getting all the PT and Johnny and Joey get to watch.

4 hours ago, BeaverFalls said:

Could be by design to add players as they go along. Not necessarily a bad plan rather than locking in kids that shouldn’t be there, IF that is indeed the plan. 

Usually that isn't by design in my experience. 07 is a low birth year and players are scarce, just like 05.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

Spoken like a parent of of the families that left and went to Esmark. Let's see how they enjoy it when the Igor and Sergei are getting all the PT and Johnny and Joey get to watch.

I can see why you would say that.  But no, not a parent.  I couldn't care less if that team didn't win a game.  Just my observation.  But go on, continue the accusations.  

Does anyone else besides me think that the AAA scene is a money grab?

PPE is the only true AAA Team in my opinion. 

imagine if these teams ( icemen, vengeance, Esmark) competed more locally. There would be some great hockey games. Teams are driving 5+ hours away to be AAA. Just parents chasing status in my opinion. PPE isn’t getting kids to the next level, so I can’t imagine a chain smoking guy who barely speaks English out of New Ken is going to do it either.  Just trying to get the conversation rolling again.

• ROTF 1

35 minutes ago, Big_Clapper21 said:

imagine if these teams ( icemen, vengeance, Esmark) competed more locally. There would be some great hockey games. Teams are driving 5+ hours away to be AAA. Just parents chasing status in my opinion. PPE isn’t getting kids to the next level, so I can’t imagine a chain smoking guy who barely speaks English out of New Ken is going to do it either.  Just trying to get the conversation rolling again.

Those other three should list themselves as AA/AAA programs.  They will play teams from both pots.  And some of the AAA teams they play will be low tier AAA from other states.  And some of the AA teams they play could probably beat a good bit of AAA in the country.  While the money grab and status thing is real, I'd also say that if an A major kid gets an invite to one of these programs, like a poster earlier in this thread pointed out, I'd say it's less about status and more about taking advantage of what was probably considered a low probability opportunity (with a little status sprinkled on top).

IMO

Edited by Ihearthockey

18 minutes ago, Big_Clapper21 said:

Do you mean if they were in the PAHL? Or do you think they should play against each other locally? I think Vengeance, Esmark and the SHAHA 06 team can be competitive with PPE.  Why should you care if parents want their kids to play AAA. We have already established that 99.9% of these kids are going to play beer league after 18. Let them play where they can and figure it out on their own. Who are we to tell them where and with whom they should play?

20 minutes ago, Big_Clapper21 said:

If PPE is the only REAL AAA team then how would playing more games locally be great hockey. Most of those teams go to Ohio,  Michigan and NY (Buffalo) which are all under 5hrs. 

PPE has not gotten 1 kid to the NHL where that chain smoking guy you speak of has had 2 kid drafted in the last 10yrs. 

Just trying to get the conversation started that you could easily look up in 10+ previous posts. 

If you play for PPE you will kiss their ass and no one else matters and everyone else sucks. If you play for Esmark you will kiss their ass and no one else matters and everyone else sucks. If you play for Vengeance you kiss their ass and no one else matters and everyone sucks. If you play for Preds  kiss their ass and no one else matters and everyone sucks. If you play Icemen you kiss their ass and no one else matters and everyone sucks.

It doesn't matter because in the long run if the kid is good locally then they leave before any of these organizations can fully develop them. 

• Like 1