Try out question

I think it kind of depends on your kids' birth year. Some of the programs really only have one legitish AAA team at a certain birthyear. And the kids move around each year. You need to talk to some parents with kids playing in those programs to figure out where rumor has them trying out this year.

Look for coaching, if you are going to spend that $$, my two cents. 

22 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

You have to be joking about both of these programs at the 06 level. Do you think the Preds or SHAHA are going to drive across town instead? Esmark at the Midget level, yes. Icemen at any level is probably not the answer.

Relax bro, I have no skin in this game and I merely made a suggestion on two organizations this individual should look into.  It will be up to them to investigate, then make an educated decision based on what they find.  Icemen did not have an 06 team this past season so how do you know what their schedule will look like or what the makeup of the team will be?  

Seeing you have a strong opinion on two organizations that have yet to form these 2006 teams yet do you have any other insight you could share with us?  Or better yet maybe you should be the one with the insider info for the individual that posed the question in the first place.  

43 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

Relax bro, I have no skin in this game and I merely made a suggestion on two organizations this individual should look into.  It will be up to them to investigate, then make an educated decision based on what they find.  Icemen did not have an 06 team this past season so how do you know what their schedule will look like or what the makeup of the team will be?  

Seeing you have a strong opinion on two organizations that have yet to form these 2006 teams yet do you have any other insight you could share with us?  Or better yet maybe you should be the one with the insider info for the individual that posed the question in the first place.  

You put your thin skin in the game when you post on a message board you dope. Especially when you specify 2 organizations out of many possible. 

2 minutes ago, Wampa1 said:

You put your thin skin in the game when you post on a message board you dope. Especially when you specify 2 organizations out of many possible. 

Oh here we are again, the five year old genius and his brilliant takes.  And the name calling once again shows your maturity level.  What took you so long?  Elementary school hours weren't shortened due to the cold and snow?

Hey son, I named two organizations for the reasons cited above, so stop trying to read into something that isn't there.  Does NP, Foxes, BV and other local organizations have an option higher than PAHL AA or did you flunk reading comprehension when the author of the post said he / she was looking for a higher level of hockey?  All I did was offer a suggestion and you are triggered, as usual.

When I say I don't have any "skin in the game" means exactly that - I have no tethered interest in this as it is not applicable to me or any of my sons that currently play the game.  It is truly sad trying to explain things to a kid posing as an adult - just look at the history of your posts - insults, name calling and rambling on without a point.  

Unfortunately for everyone else here we are subjected to your idiocy once again.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

Oh here we are again, the five year old genius and his brilliant takes.  And the name calling once again shows your maturity level.  What took you so long?  Elementary school hours weren't shortened due to the cold and snow?

Hey son, I named two organizations for the reasons cited above, so stop trying to read into something that isn't there.  Does NP, Foxes, BV and other local organizations have an option higher than PAHL AA or did you flunk reading comprehension when the author of the post said he / she was looking for a higher level of hockey?  All I did was offer a suggestion and you are triggered, as usual.

When I say I don't have any "skin in the game" means exactly that - I have no tethered interest in this as it is not applicable to me or any of my sons that currently play the game.  It is truly sad trying to explain things to a kid posing as an adult - just look at the history of your posts - insults, name calling and rambling on without a point.  

Unfortunately for everyone else here we are subjected to your idiocy once again.  

Triggered? Read your post dummy. I’m just trying to help the people you’re giving crap advice to understand who they’re dealing with. And don’t worry, names don’t hurt me. I’m not the sensitive type like you sweetie. 

1 hour ago, Wampa1 said:

Triggered? Read your post dummy. I’m just trying to help the people you’re giving crap advice to understand who they’re dealing with. And don’t worry, names don’t hurt me. I’m not the sensitive type like you sweetie. 

“Dummy”.........”names don’t hurt me” yet here you are hurling them once again, and doing nothing other than throwing insults while contributing nothing or adding to this thread because  you have no effing clue what you are talking about.  Then again that is your pattern - keyboard warrior playing tough guy.   

Put the blocks down son and run along. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

“Dummy”.........”names don’t hurt me” yet here you are hurling them once again, and doing nothing other than throwing insults while contributing nothing or adding to this thread because  you have no effing clue what you are talking about.  Then again that is your pattern - keyboard warrior playing tough guy.   

Put the blocks down son and run along. 

I’m not looking for your approval. All anyone has to do is follow my advice and they’ll see it works. Follow yours and see what a waste of time and money it is. Just curious but why is it you think calling me son or kid is something that would bother me? I’ve explained that I call you dummy because that’s what you are. I’m clearly not your son or even younger than you. It’s clear by your responses you have a limited view of what’s best for local players. I’m simply trying to highlight the people that pass along bad advice.

I get tired of reading the insult threads, too. Someone had a legit question, then any people trying to respond get lost once the insults start. I have participated in the threads, too, and regret it. Let's just ignore the trolls, if no one responds, then the thread will remain pretty clean.

Amidst the insults, though, there is a point made, johnnybender legs, as I said originally, most of these programs trying to be AAA don't really have true higher level options. They aspire, but if they do not have the level of talent that they are looking for try out, the higher level will not get off the ground. Tryouts will make that apparent. My Hockey Rankings can help you sort that out, as well.

Does your kid dominate at the AA level? If not, AA is still a good choice.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Saucey said:

I get tired of reading the insult threads, too. Someone had a legit question, then any people trying to respond get lost once the insults start. I have participated in the threads, too, and regret it. Let's just ignore the trolls, if no one responds, then the thread will remain pretty clean.

Amidst the insults, though, there is a point made, johnnybender legs, as I said originally, most of these programs trying to be AAA don't really have true higher level options. They aspire, but if they do not have the level of talent that they are looking for try out, the higher level will not get off the ground. Tryouts will make that apparent. My Hockey Rankings can help you sort that out, as well.

Does your kid dominate at the AA level? If not, AA is still a good choice.

Also, if the desire is to improve skills, dollar for dollar, the best money spent is on private lessons with someone good over the summer. And that is tricky, because the ones who are good are some times picky about who they will work with. They want a kid with natural athletic ability who wants to be there and will work. If Mom and Dad are driving the bus, there won't be gains for the time and money spent.

I work with a woman who has a high schooler who will be division one for baseball. He has had the same private coach his whole life. Other parents ask this coach to make their kid like my friend's child. The coach tells them he can't do that. He then describes what the kid has done on his own his whole life to get better, and it involves lots of reps and training on his own time. There are few kids willing to put in that kind of work on their own.

I see the miserable kids in the early am  before school at the rink waiting for their privates, obviously not wanting to be there. Some of them are wearing Pens Elite stuff. I think, what a waste. 

The elite programs don't want you to know this. They are happy to take your money while telling you they will make your child better. It's a two way street, though. Your kid has also be an athlete, and have the passion.

Take a hard look at your child. Be honest with yourself before getting on the 'elite' bus. Who is driving that bus? If it is you, both you, your child and your pocket book are going to be so much happier in the long run if you do not get on.

Edited by Saucey
Typo
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Saucey said:

Also, if the desire is to improve skills, dollar for dollar, the best money spent is on private lessons with someone good over the summer. And that is tricky, because the ones who are good are some times picky about who they will work with. They want a kid with natural athletic ability who wants to be there and will work. If Mom and Dad are driving the bus, there won't be gains for the time and money spent.

I work with a woman who has a high schooler who will be division one for baseball. He has had the same private coach his whole life. Other parents ask this coach to make their kid like my friend's child. The coach tells them he can't do that. He then describes what the kid has done on his own his whole life to get better, and it involves lots of reps and training on his own time. There are few kids willing to put in that kind of work on their own.

I see the miserable kids in the early am  before school at the rink waiting for their privates, obviously not wanting to be there. Some of them are wearing Pens Elite stuff. I think, what a waste. 

The elite programs don't want you to know this. They are happy to take your money while telling you they will make your child better. It's a two way street, though. Your kid has also be an athlete, and have the passion.

Take a hard look at your child. Be honest with yourself before getting on the 'elite' bus. Who is driving that bus? If it is you, both you, your child and your pocket book are going to be so much happier in the long run if you do not get on.

Great post, but this mainly applies to the older ages. You’re going to get a range of emotions and mixed signals from a young kid, none of which mean you should throw in the towel on hockey, or AAA hockey. Nor do I think you (in general) can judge a Pens kid, or any kid, who doesn’t want to be at the rink at 5am. I guarantee 10 year old Sidney Crosby probably didn’t want to get up at 4:30 in the AM to go practice, then go to school. 

There are people who can’t wait to get to their jobs, but getting out of bed to get there is a project. 

Edited by Rico
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rico said:

Great post, but this mainly applies to the older ages. You’re going to get a range of emotions and mixed signals from a young kid, none of which mean you should throw in the towel on hockey, or AAA hockey. Nor do I think you (in general) can judge a Pens kid, or any kid, who doesn’t want to be at the rink at 5am. I guarantee 10 year old Sidney Crosby probably didn’t want to get up at 4:30 in the AM to go practice, then go to school. 

There are people who can’t wait to get to their jobs, but getting out of bed to get there is a project. 

Good points. I guess that depends on if you think kids that young should be be getting into elite programs/labeled elite in the first place. (I don't.)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jack Handey said:

Look at that.  Constructive dialog.  Well done, hockey parents!

Does anyone else find it disturbing that a small minority’s of people comento this message board looking for advice on what decisions to make with their kids amateur sports path? Don’t you think there might be a reason no one is offering it to you in real life? Read the original post. Do you really think this person isn’t trolling all of you idiots? 

Wampa1, It’s probably you trolling everyone. I bet you have 10 accounts so you can mess with people ? Boosts your ego a little bit by correcting grammar and acting like a hockey God. Oops, was I supposed to capitalize God there or not ?

Edited by What the..

On 3/6/2019 at 10:10 AM, Saucey said:

Good points. I guess that depends on if you think kids that young should be be getting into elite programs/labeled elite in the first place. (I don't.)

For some parents getting into elite programs is not about "elite" but rather about higher level of training and game. Most PAHL Orgs don't even provided ADM recommended level of development. Hence parents are seeking either extra training on the side, or trying to get into programs that offer better training opportunities. Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wampa1 said:

Does anyone else find it disturbing that a small minority’s of people comento this message board looking for advice on what decisions to make with their kids amateur sports path? Don’t you think there might be a reason no one is offering it to you in real life? Read the original post. Do you really think this person isn’t trolling all of you idiots? 

hey look mr perfect grammar police mis spelled comento.... i mean i had to point that out for him.. he obviously did it on purpose so someone would acknowledge.  gotta stay glued.. 

your the only idiot here bro, just go away make everyone happy, maybe the forum would actually pick up and be useful

25 minutes ago, rock said:

hey look mr perfect grammar police mis spelled comento.... i mean i had to point that out for him.. he obviously did it on purpose so someone would acknowledge.  gotta stay glued.. 

your the only idiot here bro, just go away make everyone happy, maybe the forum would actually pick up and be useful

Obsessed

20 hours ago, Wampa1 said:

Ok. I am going to go ahead and say it. For once, I actually agree with Wampa. The original post is an absolute attempt to bait.