Preds birth year teams all playing independent schedule

Smaller organizations control the PAHL and changes that generally get made.  There are 28 associations and all have an equal vote when it comes to rules and gameplay changes.  

An idea like this for AA minor at younger levels only benefits the large 7-8 associations that could consistently field a team there.  That means you would have to win over another 7-8 smaller orgs to get the majority vote for change.

3 minutes ago, Jack Handey said:

Hmmm... Predator fees for birth year teams are mysteriously higher than mixed birth year teams.  And on top of season fees you get a bonus fee for coaching.  At least you and your kid will feel special.  Kind of makes you wonder who the real predator is here.

image.png.3b39620ab2271d616583d1d10690c51a.png

That's generally the same model used for all orgs with BY teams. Which I'm totally cool with as long as it equates to either more practice slots or more games or both. Also having non parent head coaches is another big draw for a lot of people as it has been discussed at great lengths on this site. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jack Handey said:

Hmmm... Predator fees for birth year teams are mysteriously higher than mixed birth year teams.  And on top of season fees you get a bonus fee for coaching.  At least you and your kid will feel special.  Kind of makes you wonder who the real predator is here.

Not all of the time, but typically BY teams get a paid non-parent coach, more ice time and more full ice time.  Most teams at a sub AA level get shared / hybrid ice and if full ice is offered it is usually at O-Dark-30 on Saturdays or Sundays. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

Not all of the time, but typically BY teams get a paid non-parent coach, more ice time and more full ice time.  Most teams at a sub AA level get shared / hybrid ice and if full ice is offered it is usually at O-Dark-30 on Saturdays or Sundays. 

Anybody care to share what the non-parent coach fee typically is per player at Preds or other orgnaizations.  Thanks in advance!

5 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Anybody care to share what the non-parent coach fee typically is per player at Preds or other orgnaizations.  Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure specifically about the Preds but I believe $500ish is fairly common.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jack Handey said:

I mean, kids being cut from Pens are not like...hmmm...where can I play next....ooooo, the Preds have a BY team, let me go there!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Saucey said:

I mean, kids being cut from Pens are not like...hmmm...where can I play next....ooooo, the Preds have a BY team, let me go there!

I think they might be.  Either preds or Esmark depending on where you live.  I don't think vengeance take pens cuts or they would be going there too.

• ROTF 1
  • Uh, Ok 1

3 hours ago, Saucey said:

Based on your reaction I should add in a sane world you would be correct. I'm not arguing that just that I think people don't give up chasing the A even when reality sets in. 

45 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

Based on your reaction I should add in a sane world you would be correct. I'm not arguing that just that I think people don't give up chasing the A even when reality sets in. 

Oh, I agree they do. But they go Vengeance or Esmark now. SHAHA puts out better BY than the Preds. So I scoff more at the idea of going to Preds when cut.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

Wow!! The Luftansa Heist looks like a child's play compared to these guys.

images.jpg

LOL……..the “off-ice training” fee that is offered to these teams may be the biggest rip off of all time.  All I hear is the so-called trainers spend more time on their phones than they do in instruction and getting the kids a solid workout.  

And if any AA or lower team makes the off-ice training mandatory with a separate fee, run for the hills and look elsewhere.   

Edited by fafa fohi
  • Like 1

I feel like the discussion of fees for these teams misses the point that parents who are taking their kids to play for these teams are not concerned about fees, or are willing to "make it work" because they've already been sold on whatever promises the organization/team has made to them.  Putting PPE into the conversation about PAHL teams leaving to go BY is really an apples to oranges comparison.  Parents who make the call to go to PPE know they are going to pay more, regardless of if they are paying for perceived development/exposure or for them/their player to be able to say they play for the logo on the front of the sweater.  

Edited by Corsi

i feel like a lot of these kids, coaches, and parents going independent are just tired of paying the same kids and same organizations over and over every year.. its new opportunity to play different teams, different kids.. when you start playing so young you fall into playing the same teams and kids year after year after year.. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rock said:

i feel like a lot of these kids, coaches, and parents going independent are just tired of paying the same kids and same organizations over and over every year.. its new opportunity to play different teams, different kids.. when you start playing so young you fall into playing the same teams and kids year after year after year.. 

Yea that's true. And then you travel to Buffalo or somewhere for a tournament and play all the same PAHL teams again.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rock said:

For my youngest specifically I'm definitely in this boat. This will be his 5th year of mites and I am sick of playing the same teams over and over again. Doing a bunch of AAU full ice tournaments and games this year to get some variety and a bit more a challenge. I am without a doubt on the fence about what to do next year for squirts. 

This wasn't an issue for my oldest as he played A minor for squirts and peewees, but still it got annoying seeing the same teams coached by the same dads at the same rinks with the same crappy refs over and over again. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RJUSHL said:

Yea that's true. And then you travel to Buffalo or somewhere for a tournament and play all the same PAHL teams again.

Ain't that the truth? My kids have gone to many tournaments, in one case as far as Annapolis, only to face three PAHL teams in a tournament more than once.

Edited by Lifelongbender
minor wording change

2 minutes ago, Lifelongbender said:

Ain't that the truth? My kids have gone to many tournaments, in one case as far as Annapolis, only to face three PAHL teams in a tournament more than once.

This is straying from the topic a bit, but I find tournaments to be the least useful thing you can do dollar for dollar. I'd rather schedule some independent games and control who you play. They are largely a racket.

• Like 1

A team's manager or head coach needs to contact the tournament director prior to registering and ask for a list of participating teams in whatever division they plan on entering.  Most will give you this info and then decide based off the other teams that are participating.  If the tournament is unwilling to do this, I would suggest moving on to something different, there's enough to go around.  No reason to go to NY or VA to play teams that are 20 minutes down the road.  

• Like 2