Mid Am District Playoffs

18U should be pretty good this year. Lots of teams ranked close. Culver are the favorites but not as strong as in years past.  PPE, Gilmour, and Esmark field teams that are closely ranked together.  Any of these teams playing together should be pretty good.  

14u,15u,16u- Likely PPE dominance.

13 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

I saw 14u Mt Lebanon beat the Press 9-0. Must have been cheating parents again :classic_biggrin:

That team is really, really good.  No question about that whatsoever.

That doesn’t change the fact that the Mt Lebanon organization had parents from their teams running the clock in a situation that they shouldn’t have. And they did so for both playoff divisions at their rink that weekend.

The organization put themselves in a position to be criticized. It’s their fault. Plain and simple.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Wampa1 said:

I love this. Not one actual hockey based evaluation of the game. Just generalized boasting and excuses. Typical. 

Pretty simple.  You have 10 skaters it’s really difficult to win a AA U18 game against top level competition.  Don’t really need a telestrator to break it down.  Not saying they would have won had they had their full roster, but they would have had a better shot.  

12 hours ago, Slumpbusters said:

Pretty simple.  You have 10 skaters it’s really difficult to win a AA U18 game against top level competition.  Don’t really need a telestrator to break it down.  Not saying they would have won had they had their full roster, but they would have had a better shot.  

Excuses. I’m actually curious if anyone at the game can tell me how it was won or lost tactically. Any takers?

Was there all weekend and watched most of the games. The teams that won were the 3 best teams all weekend. Armstrong 18 and Lebo 14 were strong all weekend. Icemen at 16 were also strong although not as good as I was expecting for an independent team that played a hybrid schedule. They probably would have won PAHL but not with a perfect record for sure. Good luck to all 3 teams. I think they will represent WPA well.

1 hour ago, discodan said:

Was there all weekend and watched most of the games. The teams that won were the 3 best teams all weekend. Armstrong 18 and Lebo 14 were strong all weekend. Icemen at 16 were also strong although not as good as I was expecting for an independent team that played a hybrid schedule. They probably would have won PAHL but not with a perfect record for sure. Good luck to all 3 teams. I think they will represent WPA well.

Remarkable insight. The teams that won were the best. Thanks for all your in-depth analysis Pierre. 

• Sad 1

Interesting to note all the 2019 champions for boys tier 1 and the girls tier 1 and 2 (excepting tier 1 u19) are Western Pennsylvania based teams! Not sure if that's setting any records, but surely reflects the building strength of amateur ice hockey in Western PA. Along with recent accomplishments at boys and girls USA Hockey national tournaments  (Tier 1, 2 and high school), Western PA has some hockey players and teams to be reckoned with on the national level! Good luck to our champions representing our area at USAH Nationals across the nation! Congratulations to everyone that participated in playdowns last weekend as well!

59 minutes ago, Hoser said:

Interesting to note all the 2019 champions for boys tier 1 and the girls tier 1 and 2 (excepting tier 1 u19) are Western Pennsylvania based teams! Not sure if that's setting any records, but surely reflects the building strength of amateur ice hockey in Western PA. Along with recent accomplishments at boys and girls USA Hockey national tournaments  (Tier 1, 2 and high school), Western PA has some hockey players and teams to be reckoned with on the national level! Good luck to our champions representing our area at USAH Nationals across the nation! Congratulations to everyone that participated in playdowns last weekend as well!

Now this I like. That is a remarkable accomplishment and speaks to the work and dedication of all the players, coaches and volunteers who take pride in their work. 

I know the moderators FORBID mentioning names but why would it be wrong to promote local players that stand out on a given week? That’s productive use of a forum like this.  

On 3/8/2019 at 10:21 AM, sadday4hockey said:

Likely, but that was the sentiment last year and the 16's choked it away against Esmark. I just don't think you can measure the extra incentive a team can muster in a one game Final and you know Yuri will have his troops prepared.

How did Yuri's troops do?    Seems like it was  a train wreck for them. 

1 hour ago, Wampa1 said:

Now this I like. That is a remarkable accomplishment and speaks to the work and dedication of all the players, coaches and volunteers who take pride in their work. 

I know the moderators FORBID mentioning names but why would it be wrong to promote local players that stand out on a given week? That’s productive use of a forum like this.  

We are OK with putting player names in association with awards received (MVP, etc.), accolades, etc.  but we want to draw the line there --- and not dip into player names in conjunction with criticizing players...  so if someone did well in PAHL, PIHL, or whatever, we're OK with putting that here... but we will watch it carefully to make sure nobody follows that post with this player stinks, etc.

1 hour ago, dazedandconfused said:

2000's that remain at Esmark have had quite a run. Good to see Esmark break up the PPE party last year at 16's and at 18's this year.

It speaks to the lack of development that they still have that many 2000’s playing. They should win. Ever ask why the Pens don’t have that many? I wonder if they will start a junior or college program to continue to make money off of that group? They’re good players but how good is the question. And is that organization doing right by them? Just a thought.

Not for nothing... both teams had 7 or 8 2000s.... they are all good kids that made the decision to play into their 2nd year of 18s.. Adults making their own decisions... And keep in mind, some of these kids are seniors in high school.. 

Edited by The Tank

1 minute ago, The Tank said:

Not for nothing... both teams had 7 or 8 2000s.... they are all good kids that made the decision to play into their 2nd year of 18s.. Adults making their own decisions... 

Not saying they aren’t good kids. The pens lost a lot of talent last year and did not replace it with equal talent. I guess my question is, if you’re making the decision to go back to Esmark for a second year of 18’s, what’s the next step? If it’s juniors you’re already a year behind and a year older. If it’s college, what was the point? Those guys make a lot of money off of these families. Have a majority of the players gotten fair value?

4 minutes ago, Wampa1 said:

Not saying they aren’t good kids. The pens lost a lot of talent last year and did not replace it with equal talent. I guess my question is, if you’re making the decision to go back to Esmark for a second year of 18’s, what’s the next step? If it’s juniors you’re already a year behind and a year older. If it’s college, what was the point? Those guys make a lot of money off of these families. Have a majority of the players gotten fair value?

Every U18 team at districts and natty's will have about the same mix of BY players. The majority of the 00's are still in high school enjoying their Senior year, living with their families and making more memories with their friends. Some are playing for multiple championships on multiple teams including other than ice hockey. Just maybe ice hockey is not gonna be their meal ticket for the rest of their life...So band mouthing these kids and organizations because they are happy playing tier 1 amateurs is pretty sad Wampa1.