Goalie coaching?

7 minutes ago, GoalieDad said:

I've got some questions about goalie coaching in the area -- suggesting who to go to and who not to.  Any feedback much appreciated?  I've done some searching and so found the Shane Clifford Goalie School.   

That is a very subjective issue. Whether you have a player or a goalie, privates, to me, depend a lot on your kid and the style of the instructor. Someone may work better with one over another.  Check with your local rink, most have someone that does goalie instruction, there, ask questions of the instructor to see if there is a match. 

2 hours ago, Saucey said:

That is a very subjective issue. Whether you have a player or a goalie, privates, to me, depend a lot on your kid and the style of the instructor. Someone may work better with one over another.  Check with your local rink, most have someone that does goalie instruction, there, ask questions of the instructor to see if there is a match. 

Goalie coaches especially are a highly individual choice. You can see that with goalies even at the highest level - NHL goalies frequently have issues when their goalie coach changes for some reason. You really need to take the time and talk to the coaches.

Shane Clifford is a highly regarded goalie coach in the area, but there are others as well.

• Like 1

We offer 2 weekly goalie clinics at RMU-ISC with JS Aubin as lead instructor.

There are two options based on playing level:
Tuesdays - Goalies that are playing PAHL A Minor, B, RMU Island Colonials or similar House/Rec divisions

Thursdays - Goalies that are playing AAA, HS, MS, PAHL AA, PAHL A Major

Each day is limited to 9 goalies, (3 goalies per net).  JS does a great job with the kids, (my son has been taking private and group glasses with him for about 2 years).  

To register, please follow the link below:
https://pr.dashplatform.com/dash/x/#/online/rmu/programs/15/level?facility_ids=1

For additional information, please email buterbaugh@rmu.edu

JS is also available for private lessons, 
aubs301@gmail.com

As others have mentioned, there are plenty of qualified options in our area.  It is important to find a coach that your child can relate to.

Best of Luck

WEEKLY SKILLS CLINICS 2021-22 - Final.pdf

First time posting, love the forum.

My recommendation would be Shane Clifford.  Keep in mind that the he’s not necessarily the coach that you would have each week, he has a group of very competent coaches.   My son’s favorite coach with Shane’s group was Coach Mike Yaremko.   All of the coaches that we had with Shane taught the same techniques and drills.   It was seamless if there was ever a replacement coach.   We worked with Shane for over 10 years, so I’m probably biased.   There was only one or two goalies at a time for Shane’s lessons.  A lot of good individual instructions are provided during the lesson

The other goalie programs in the area seem to have a difficult time getting ice for the lessons.   It was either at 6:00 AM or 11:30 PM when they could get ice time for lessons but maybe that has changed now.  Our lessons were at the same time every week with Shane and it was always in the early evening.

Shane also has several great summer camps.  Maybe 30 goalies at the camp but the instructor to goalie ratio was one instructor for every 2-3 goalies.   All of the instructors are former students of Shane’s that have played at a very high level.  Great camps.

JS Aubin with nine goalies on the ice, are there any assistant instructors on the ice?   Pens Elite would have 10-15 goalies on the ice with one instructor, it was a mess.   Most all of the Pens Elite goalies went to Shane on their own dime.  I never understood why the Lemieux Sports Complex never had a separate small piece of ice for individual goalie training. 

https://shanecliffordgoalieschool.com/