Viper Stars

Specifically the 16U Viper "Stars" - who at the last minute pulled out of the PAHL because they were placed in A-Major Black. Per league by-laws they have to pay a substantial fine. They didn't necessarily disagree with their placement as it was what the results dictated but they want to be AA so now they can call themselves AA or Faux AA as we use on here even though they aren't. Their plan is to play in AA Tournaments and play an independent "AA" schedule against......... well we shall see,

Someone requested some new chum in the water so let's let the feeding frenzy begin.

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...

People push at PAHL to make changes because 'everyone is leaving.' Well...what do you do with something like this? PAHL put them in the right division. Let them be AA just because they want it? What about not wasting other AA teams' time?  

Maybe a ban from competing in Mid Ams too, or something, for a few years, in addition to a fine. In Irish Dance, in order to prevent families from jumping schools all the time, you aren't allowed to compete for a few years if you change schools  There are some exceptions.

Can't fix crazy, I guess. 

Parents are ruining this sport.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Saucey said:

People push at PAHL to make changes because 'everyone is leaving.' Well...what do you do with something like this? PAHL put them in the right division. Let them be AA just because they want it? What about not wasting other AA teams' time?  

Maybe a ban from competing in Mid Ams too, or something, for a few years, in addition to a fine. In Irish Dance, in order to prevent families from jumping schools all the time, you aren't allowed to compete for a few years if you change schools  There are some exceptions.

I think this wasn't the parents, as much as a coach who couldn't bear being attached to a team ranked lower the AA. 

1 hour ago, nemesis8679 said:

I think this wasn't the parents, as much as a coach who couldn't bear being attached to a team ranked lower the AA. 

Shame on him, then. Develop what you have. 

People need to stop behaving as if playing lower level hockey is somehow less. Kids learn the same life skills, get exercise, learn discipline, friendships. It's a great game, however you are picking up the stick.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2021 at 8:48 AM, Saucey said:

Saucey, this one is simple.... if they wanna declare AA so be it. Remove the running clock rule and allow them to be pummeled like baby seals. Also, add rules wording specific to AA that any game that reaches 15 penalties will be reviewed in it's entirety for supplemental discipline..... those scrums where a players get away with several punches.... give them a game suspension and tack one on for the coach.... That high hit or dangerous borderline hit that wasn't called... well now it gets automatically reviewed..... Now whether PAHL has the cojones (or member support) to do something like this....

On 11/21/2021 at 11:06 AM, sadday4hockey said:

That's one of the perils with non-parent coaches, they often times regard it as "their" team and make decisions based upon their own personal agenda. It's incumbent upon the organizations to keep them in line.

Well it IS their team.... LOL. They are being paid and only have to answer to whatever board is writing their check..... It's a fallacy to think that the parents run any of those orgs..... well, maybe a couple of well heeled influential parents have influence, but the rest of them have the option to write their check and shut up or just go away.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GrumpyOldPucker said:

Saucey, this one is simple.... if they wanna declare AA so be it. Remove the running clock rule and allow them to be pummeled like baby seals. Also, add rules wording specific to AA that any game that reaches 15 penalties will be reviewed in it's entirety for supplemental discipline..... those scrums where a players get away with several punches.... give them a game suspension and tack one on for the coach.... That high hit or dangerous borderline hit that wasn't called... well now it gets automatically reviewed..... Now whether PAHL has the cojones (or member support) to do something like this....

Well it IS their team.... LOL. They are being paid and only have to answer to whatever board is writing their check..... It's a fallacy to think that the parents run any of those orgs..... well, maybe a couple of well heeled influential parents have influence, but the rest of them have the option to write their check and shut up or just go away.

The problem is PAHL teams get tired of playing the teams in AA that don't belong.  If all the wanna be AAA and independent teams just played AA PAHL and you lose the bottom couple teams PAHL would be a lot more competitive.  

• Like 2

On 11/26/2021 at 12:27 AM, Carl Racki said:

The problem is PAHL teams get tired of playing the teams in AA that don't belong.  If all the wanna be AAA and independent teams just played AA PAHL and you lose the bottom couple teams PAHL would be a lot more competitive.  

Unfortunately aforementioned teams exist purely to not intermingle with unwashed masses in AA. 

• ROTF 1

On 11/30/2021 at 1:51 AM, nemesis8679 said:

Honestly I don't know. Just what I heard had happened there. From more than one person. 

The 06 Vipers Stars team played an independent schedule last year as well.   I know who the coaches are and really doubt that they forced an independent schedule on the parents.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twoboys said:

The 06 Vipers Stars team played an independent schedule last year as well.   I know who the coaches are and really doubt that they forced an independent schedule on the parents.  

As an FYI, coaches for this years 06 Vipers AA team are different coaches from last years team. 

7 hours ago, fafa fohi said:

As an FYI, coaches for this years 06 Vipers AA team are different coaches from last years team. 

I know.  I just don’t think that they would push an independent schedule.  Parents, who did it last year, I can see pushing it.

I do not think it was the coaches at all. From my understanding they brought players in and promised them AA and when they got placed in A Major in PAHL they pulled out of PAHL because of their placement. I just think it is a shame if the parents are paying the same fee's as the Viper Stars teams that are playing an independent schedule or a AA schedule. They have only played 19 games to this point because they can not find teams to play when most of the AA teams have played close to 30 games already. I think it is much more on the parents of the team wanting to say their players are AA players and they're willing to pay the extra money. It is sad that youth hockey has come to this point!

• 2 weeks later...

All BS aside, there are good families and kids that play within the organization...we were one of them, but it only took a short time for us to run as fast as we could.  Certain people can ruin it, unfortunately there are people involved with VS that should not be coaching, let alone organizing.  Some individuals within make a lot of money preying on families and kids for nothing more than their monetary needs.  It's truly a shame.  I think the process of VS to Esmark is a good idea, but poorly planned and run, you get the right people, the right coaches, and you would have something to hang your hat on.  But until certain ones are gone completely, it will be the same old story.