Parent behavior

2 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

Were you at a Highlands game? 

Nope. I have a feeling it's really widespread. Don't know what can be done about it. I get why people may be reluctant to address it. People are scary. Either block em or encourage refs not to drop the puck till they stop/go. But I hate that coaches and refs have to stop games to address the stands. BTW....you are a clear problem when your own coaches are having to yell at you from the bench.

I am leaving games so angry at people. We had such a horrible year and we should be beyond grateful. Let the kids play without your commentary. Let there be fun again.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Saucey said:

Nope. I have a feeling it's really widespread. Don't know what can be done about it. I get why people may be reluctant to address it. People are scary. Either block em or encourage refs not to drop the puck till they stop/go. But I hate that coaches and refs have to stop games to address the stands. BTW....you are a clear problem when your own coaches are having to yell at you from the bench.

I am leaving games so angry at people. We had such a horrible year and we should be beyond grateful. Let the kids play without your commentary. Let there be fun again.

Absolutely.  It helps if managers address this topic with their parents about acceptable behavior at the beginning of the year.  

• Like 1

I had a crazy mom screaming at us officials as well as players from both teams - and it was obvious who her kid was. At a face off I had just about had enough of her and was tuning to take care of the "situation" when one of the centers says."Hold on ref I got this".... He backed up a few feet and yells, "MOM! Either shut up and watch the game or go sit in the car before you get tossed out again!" The rink went silent, then a few laughs, then people applauded. We had no further issues the rest of the game.

And then there were the times where it was "OK, everybody between this beam and that one.... you either make the loudmouth leave or everyone can go watch from the lobby..... They usually chased the loudmouth out. Unfortunately, there were times that entire sections needed to be tossed.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GrumpyOldPucker said:

I always wanted the rinks to have a Polaroid camera on hand to create a "wall of shame" with a picture of every person ejected over the course of a season.

I would be behind this idea. Would be even better if you had to go to some sort of hearing and be approved to attend any more games in the future. 

• Like 1

I've been lucky this year. Between high school and amateur games we haven't had any problems with any parents. Only saw one guy get kicked out. He only yelled (real loud), call it both ways when there was a lopsided penalty count. Ref said I'm not having it today and told the guy to leave. He left without incident and even apologized on the way out. If that's all I see, I'll be happy but now since I said that I'm due for a shitshow.

18 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

1) warning

2) bench minor

3) ejection

That should stop it. 

Didn't the PAHL or PIHL have something like this a while back? I seem to remember someone wanting the coaches or team managers to ID the loud mouths and report them to the league.... There was a lot of "I dunno who that is".....

We shouldn't limit this to just hockey.  It is across all youth sports and at all skill levels.  There's a reason leagues have issues with getting officials, coaches, and other volunteers when they get to spend their freetime dealing with idiots.  

2 hours ago, Corsi said:

We shouldn't limit this to just hockey.  It is across all youth sports and at all skill levels.  There's a reason leagues have issues with getting officials, coaches, and other volunteers when they get to spend their freetime dealing with idiots.  

I tend to see very bad parent behavior in Hockey and Football almost all the time.  I don't see it as much in lacrosse, baseball, or basketball, at least not to the serious level I've seen it in the other two sports. I know it happens but I go to every hockey game expecting to see bad parent behavior whereas I go to other sports not expecting it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

I tend to see very bad parent behavior in Hockey and Football almost all the time.  I don't see it as much in lacrosse, baseball, or basketball, at least not to the serious level I've seen it in the other two sports. I know it happens but I go to every hockey game expecting to see bad parent behavior whereas I go to other sports not expecting it. 

I've heard some horror stories about soccer and baseball when you get into the kids playing tournament teams, not so much at the lower levels.

Terrible parents are everywhere. I see a lot of unbelievable stuff from dance/cheer parents at my daughters competitions. That's a whole new level of drama and pettiness.

As far as hockey is concerned, it has been my personal experience that the ones yelling the loudest or causing the biggest seen are usually the individuals who have never played hockey before, or are completely ignorant to the rules of the game. They are the same dumb@$$es who yell "Shoot!" every time a player crosses the red line at Pens games. 

• 100 1

26 minutes ago, forbin said:

Terrible parents are everywhere. I see a lot of unbelievable stuff from dance/cheer parents at my daughters competitions. That's a whole new level of drama and pettiness.

As far as hockey is concerned, it has been my personal experience that the ones yelling the loudest or causing the biggest seen are usually the individuals who have never played hockey before, or are completely ignorant to the rules of the game. They are the same dumb@$$es who yell "Shoot!" every time a player crosses the red line at Pens games. 

Interesting!  Do you think those Parents, Parents were the same way when they were little? Is there any hope for this generations kids to be better sports parents or is this a self perpetuating phenomenon.

3 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Interesting!  Do you think those Parents, Parents were the same way when they were little? Is there any hope for this generations kids to be better sports parents or is this a self perpetuating phenomenon.

From personal experience when I was a kid playing hockey the overwhelming majority of my teammates dads also played growing up. There is definitely a different type of hockey parent nowadays. The popularity of the sport is picking up which is a good thing, but I do think parents need to be better educated on the sport across the board. It would help everyone. 

I fear that its only going to get worse. 

33 minutes ago, forbin said:

From personal experience when I was a kid playing hockey the overwhelming majority of my teammates dads also played growing up. There is definitely a different type of hockey parent nowadays. The popularity of the sport is picking up which is a good thing, but I do think parents need to be better educated on the sport across the board. It would help everyone. 

I fear that its only going to get worse. 

Don't you think the majority of kids playing nowadays have parents who played hockey? I'll bet it's close to 75 percent. No facts just what I see.  Mom's yell the loudest! Dad's get on the Refs more.  Just my opinion!

1 minute ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Don't you think the majority of kids playing nowadays have parents who played hockey? I'll bet it's close to 75 percent. No facts just what I see.  Mom's yell the loudest! Dad's get on the Refs more.  Just my opinion!

I'd say its probably closer to 50%. Worse at the younger ages.  Nobody wants to be a ref anymore because parents are complete a$$holes to them. Its a shame.