Junior Vengeance observation

So in their last 6 games, the jr vengeance team has shown up with only 12 skaters and a rotation of 3 goalies.

This seems contrary to the pro-profit model that everyone attributes to tier III junior hockey.

What is the story here?  Tier III teams usually have a boat load - dozens upon dozens - of players on their roster.  Is the dream no longer for sale at Alpha Ice Complex?

Yes it’s low. A decent amount of usphl Midwest teams are running on the low side. Wooster didn’t have enough kids at tryouts for a normal 4 line team. Some parents are starting to wise up I suppose. 

These tier 3 teams will also wait for kids in tier 2 not playing to get cut and hope they can pick them up for the season. This happens every year. 

normally these tier 3 teams will start off with 20-21 or so skaters and end with 28-30 skaters once the tier 2 cuts happen. 

10 hours ago, Danner27 said:

normally these tier 3 teams will start off with 20-21 or so skaters and end with 28-30 skaters once the tier 2 cuts happen. 

When do the Tier 2 cuts happen?  Any idea how much profit a Tier 3 team has at the end of the year?  Just did some research into all this and it is very interesting. Amazing how many Tier 3 teams there are.  A lot of kids still playing after High School.  It looks like there is not a route straight to NCAA D-1 from High School.  Much different from other High School sports.

Why?  From what I see it costs around 10,000 a year. Is that right?

3 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

It looks like there is not a route straight to NCAA D-1 from High School.  Much different from other High School sports.

Why?  From what I see it costs around 10,000 a year. Is that right?

The path to D1 hockey is vastly different than football or basketball. The only time you'll see a kid go from high school hockey to NCAA D1 is if they are lighting it up for a powerhouse Minnesota high school program. Even then its still highly likely that they played at least half a season in the USHL or for the US national team. 

D1 schools aren't scouting the USPHL and the other tier 3 junior leagues, and yes they are pay to play leagues for around $10-15k or more a season. 

14 hours ago, Saucey said:

There are 16 skaters on the roster

yeah and a few of those names are on the 18u AAA roster too.  I'm referring to there last few box scores where there were only 12 skaters.  It makes sense that they could be waiting for tier II cuts but I thought that happened already.

16 minutes ago, Jack Handey said:

yeah and a few of those names are on the 18u AAA roster too.  I'm referring to there last few box scores where there were only 12 skaters.  It makes sense that they could be waiting for tier II cuts but I thought that happened already.

Covid screwed them up last year. Canadian leagues not open. I haven’t followed the cuts since covid, I’m sorry I don’t have the answer. In the past most tier 2 cuts would happen at the end of October. 

3 hours ago, forbin said:

The path to D1 hockey is vastly different than football or basketball. The only time you'll see a kid go from high school hockey to NCAA D1 is if they are lighting it up for a powerhouse Minnesota high school program. Even then its still highly likely that they played at least half a season in the USHL or for the US national team. 

D1 schools aren't scouting the USPHL and the other tier 3 junior leagues, and yes they are pay to play leagues for around $10-15k or more a season. 

What he said. Some of the northeast usphl teams get 20k a season then you pay billet fees on top of all that. 

I'm not sure how much D1 hockey schools are scouting any Jr League other than USHL and the majority of those players are already committed. They are committing players so young now (although I think they finally addressed that recently) or there are some players who develop later that they are just watching those few.

What will be interesting is to see how the many commitments of recent local players actually pan out. PE had quite a few at the 02 and 03 levels and some of those have already not panned out.

• Like 1