A 4 NORTH CATHOLIC 7 2 2 16
A 5 KISKI 6 4 1 13

B 1 CANEVIN  11 1 0 22
B 2 CARRICK 9 1 1 19
B 3 AVONWORTH 7 3 0 14
B 4 BURRELL 5 2 2 12
B 5 RINGGOLD 8 4 0 16

4 hours ago, Danner27 said:

Didn’t Franklin regional get blow out by penn trafford, then lost to armstrong this week ? ?

Go to the games and see for yourself and you do the rankings!

2-5 are really close and I suspect # 1 is up for grabs as well

FR didn't have 2 of 3 best defensemen against PT in that game. PT was great in that game 

FR Lost in a Shootout 4-3 Monday and won convincingly 7-4 Last Night over Armstrong (Wasn't that close). 

Penn Trafford lost to Meadville 6-2 and Beat Armstrong in Shootout 3-2  

Tournament at Alpha has them all and win untangle this as will January when have TJ playing against all 3

Penguins Cup AA will be fantastic 

50 minutes ago, Pa Hockey said:

Go to the games and see for yourself and you do the rankings!

2-5 are really close and I suspect # 1 is up for grabs as well

FR didn't have 2 of 3 best defensemen against PT in that game. PT was great in that game 

FR Lost in a Shootout 4-3 Monday and won convincingly 7-4 Last Night over Armstrong (Wasn't that close). 

Penn Trafford lost to Meadville 6-2 and Beat Armstrong in Shootout 3-2  

Tournament at Alpha has them all and win untangle this as will January when have TJ playing against all 3

Penguins Cup AA will be fantastic 

Take a step back and read what you just wrote. You are making excuses for your high school team. Your bias is very clear. Maybe penn trafford had some players out when they lost to meadville ? Maybe this - maybe that - could of - should of.  What is clear - penn trafford smoked fr, the following week fr turns around and loses again to armstrong. Yet you rank them at number 2. 

With my kids being done, I admit I don’t follow much PIHL hockey but I still have friends who follow, their kids still play. Some are even from Franklin regional. I’m told you are doing everything in your power to push as many FR kids into the pihl all star game ? Word got around after the poor showing FR had at the Jamestown, NY. Tournament. 

from what I’ve seen, along with what I’ve  been told - AA is god awful this year. TJ is considered the best team. After that you have 2-3 mediocre teams. The scores & standings back this up.

PA HOCKEY        
    Top 5        
    2021-2022  "AAA AA & A" DIVISION        
    FINAL - WEEK 11        
CLASS DIVISION TEAM W L T PTS

AAA 1 NORTH ALLEGHENY 10 1 0 20
AAA 2 PINE RICHLAND 8 2 0 16
AAA 3 PETERS TOWNSHIP 9 4 0 18
AAA 4 BALDWIN 5 2 3 13
AAA 5 SENECA VALLEY 5 4 0 10

AA 1 THOMAS JEFFERSON 9 0 0 18
AA 2 FRANKLIN REGIONAL 9 1 1 19
AA 3 ARMSTRONG 9 1 2 20
AA 4 MEADVILLE 8 2 0 16
AA 5 PENN TRAFFORD 7 2 0 14
A 1 QUAKER VALLEY 8 0 0 16
A 2 FOX CHAPEL 10 0 0 20
A 3 NORWIN 9 1 1 19
A 4 NORTH CATHOLIC 7 2 2 16
A 5 KISKI 6 4 1 13

B 1 CANEVIN  11 1 0 22
B 2 CARRICK 9 1 1 19
B 3 AVONWORTH 7 3 0 14
B 4 BURRELL 5 2 2 12
B 5 RINGGOLD 8 4 0 16

Thanks for doing the rankings and putting them out there for debate.  I can't believe that people on this board try to personally attack you about the rankings.  If they don't like them maybe they should put their own out there and how they would rank them.  And then Danner goes as far as to disparage the whole AA Division.  I guess they aren't as good as when his kid was playing. That's back when there must have been real competition!!  Seems to me that Danner thinks Hockey in Western Pa is in this big downward spiral !

Having seen three of the top AA teams play more than once.  Franklin Regional, Penn Trafford and Armstrong.  Penn Trafford has the best goaltending.  Franklin Regional has a couple more dynamic players on roster, but all three teams are solid with some highend talent.  Going to be fun to watch!  

4 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Thanks for doing the rankings and putting them out there for debate.  I can't believe that people on this board try to personally attack you about the rankings.  If they don't like them maybe they should put their own out there and how they would rank them.  And then Danner goes as far as to disparage the whole AA Division.  I guess they aren't as good as when his kid was playing. That's back when there must have been real competition!!  Seems to me that Danner thinks Hockey in Western Pa is in this big downward spiral !

Im Not saying hockey is in a downward spiral, what I am saying is mr rankings homers his own school as much as possible. What I am saying is a lot of the teams in AA appear to be the in the rebuild wave that plagues A & AA Every few years. Those schools just don’t have the enrollment to have a steady flow of good varsity players year after year. Just look at the standings, stats, games etc. it shows you TJ is by far the best team, then you have a group with armstrong, penn trafford & Franklin. After that it doesn’t look very good at all. 

What’s the point of having western PA top 5 varsity rankings ?  Especially when they are not from any sort of official source. Half the teams in each class make the playoffs. It’s meaningless. It’s not used for any sort of scheduling, it’s not used for any placements or playoff seeds. Unless you read this board, nobody is even aware. 

Edited by Danner27

1 hour ago, Danner27 said:

Im Not saying hockey is in a downward spiral, what I am saying is mr rankings homers his own school as much as possible. What I am saying is a lot of the teams in AA appear to be the in the rebuild wave that plagues A & AA Every few years. Those schools just don’t have the enrollment to have a steady flow of good varsity players year after year. Just look at the standings, stats, games etc. it shows you TJ is by far the best team, then you have a group with armstrong, penn trafford & Franklin. After that it doesn’t look very good at all. 

What’s the point of having western PA top 5 varsity rankings ?  Especially when they are not from any sort of official source. Half the teams in each class make the playoffs. It’s meaningless. It’s not used for any sort of scheduling, it’s not used for any placements or playoff seeds. Unless you read this board, nobody is even aware. 

At least Mr Rankings puts something out there.  I admire and respect every team that plays.  They are putting the best players they can out there on the ice.  Would you rather have someone decide who the best teams will be at the beginning of the year and only let them field a team?  I just really don't understand your thinking!

And the point of those rankings is to give you and I something to talk about! And promote Hockey in Western Pa. Doesn't the Tribe pick up on them and post them? Aren't we getting some press and exposure from it?

On 12/20/2021 at 2:44 PM, Danner27 said:

I despise the day I am this old and miserable in life. 

• Like 1

PA HOCKEY        
      PENNSYLVANIA ELITE 8        
      2021-2022  "AAA AA & A" DIVISION        
      FINAL - WEEK 12        
DIVISION CLASS RANK TEAM W L T PTS

EPIHA AAA 1 MALVERN PREP 6 2 0 12
EPIHA AAA 2 HOLY GHOST PREP 9 2 0 18
PIHL AAA 3 NORTH ALLEGHENY 10 1 0 20
PIHL AAA 4 PINE RICHLAND 9 2 0 18
PIHL AAA 5 PETERS TOWNSHIP 9 4 1 19
PIHL AAA 6 BALDWIN 6 2 3 15
EPIHA AAA 7 LASALLE 3 4 0 6
PIHL AAA 8 SENECA VALLEY 6 4 0 12

PIHL AA 1 THOMAS JEFFERSON 10 0 0 20
EPIHA AA 2 HAVERFORD 8 2 0 16
EPIHA AA 3 PENNRIDGE 7 0 0 14
EPIHA AA 4 DOWNINGTOWN WEST 7 1 0 14
PIHL AA 5 FRANKLIN REGIONAL 10 1 1 21
PIHL AA 6 ARMSTRONG 9 1 2 20
PIHL AA 7 PENN TRAFFORD 7 2 0 14
PIHL AA 8 MEADVILLE 9 2 0 18
EPIHA AA 8 COUNCIL ROCK SOUTH 5 1 1 11

EPIHA A 1 WEST CHESTER EAST 10 0 0 20
PIHL A 2 QUAKER VALLEY 9 0 0 18
EPIHA A 3 SPRINGFIELD 6 1 0 12
PIHL A 4 FOX CHAPEL 11 0 0 22
PIHL A 5 NORWIN 9 2 1 19
EPIHA A 6 HERSHEY 5 1 0 10
PIHL A 7 NORTH CATHOLIC 8 2 1 17
EPIHA A 8 WEST CHESTER BAYARD RUSTIN 7 5 0 14

NOTE: EPIHA ARE OVERALL RECORDS INCLUDING GAMES AT ALL LEVELS

10 minutes ago, hockey57410 said:

Anyone know what happened to Montour?  They were always in the hunt and I haven't seen their name in any rankings at all?  I heard they replaced they replaced the entire board and coaching staff?  

It appears like most schools In class A & AA - waves - have a good run, players graduate, have a few miserable years then hope another good core comes through.  It’s the reality of pihl hockey, excluding the big schools. 

• Like 1

Board was not replaced. But board made some decisions that were not good for the team, but made sure everyone played, according to their class (not by skill, experience or ability.)

Last seasons coaches resigned (much to quite a few parents dismay.) So what you see this season was not unexpected. 

Speaking of ratings/rankings, there is an article at nytimes.com this morning that delves into the My Hockey Rankings system, how it was devised, and has quotes/info from the founder and his son.

Local interest story also as the article is based upon a game from an Allegheny Badgers-Trackers tournament game held at UPMC (complete with quotes and photos) last month.

not trying to shill the NYT website and I have no dog in this fight but I thought the article was interesting and some of you may think similarly.

17 hours ago, Baleout21 said:

Board was not replaced. But board made some decisions that were not good for the team, but made sure everyone played, according to their class (not by skill, experience or ability.)

Last seasons coaches resigned (much to quite a few parents dismay.) So what you see this season was not unexpected. 

Only the president left, his son graduated. The decision did not affect this years team. They are better off with the new coaches that actually coach all the kids and not just their top players. And what is happening with this years team is not unexpected, because they lost a lot of talent, not because they lost the coaches. The new coaches have more and better experience than the previous staff. 

The coaches resigned because they told the board that they didn’t care about the JV team. And the board fought back on the issue. Which is what is right for the organization. The problem started with the varsity coaches not allowing JV/varsity call ups play in a JV playoff game because they didn’t want them to get hurt. Even though they couldn’t stop those same kids from playing for their Amateur teams, or playing any other sport that they could get hurt playing. The JV played their first playoff game with ten skaters. They did win and advance, all the way to the championship. But the call ups did get to play after the first game, which was the right thing to do. The head varsity coach was also asked in at least 2 board meetings over a couple of years to help the Jv coaches improve their practices. Both times the coach said he would do it, both times he did nothing. The parents just wanted their children to have the opportunity to have better practices. It wasn’t about playing time, it was about improving practices so their kids could get better. And after the varsity coach’s resignation was accepted this time(third time they resigned), the varsity coach went to the JV coach and told him he sucked as a coach. So instead of trying to help improve a young coach, he ignored the parents request for help even though he obviously thought the coach could use improvement. 

All of this doesn’t make sense for the simple fact that the JV teams players, or at least some of them, would eventually be playing varsity. So why wouldn’t you want the kids that will eventually play varsity to have the opportunity to improve? Makes no sense. 

This had nothing to do with playing time for kids just because they were seniors. That can be seen with the team this year. There are 3 seniors that are still playing Jv this year. Because the board did not force the coaches to put seniors on the varsity just because they were seniors. 

This was the third time those coaches resigned. The first time was when they won the Pens Cup and the board wouldn’t spend extra money for a Coach bus to take the kids to the Penguins game where they were being honored. The school bus wasn’t good enough for the coaches. What a joke. They resigned because the board, the people responsible for the spending of ALL of the organizations parents money, wouldn’t spend the extra money for a bus ride from RMU to PPG arena. This was all about the coaches vanity. And that has no place in high school sports. 

The team this year would have been the same team if those coaches returned, because the kids available are the kids available. Last years team graduated 7-8seniors. 5 of them played AAA amateur sometime during their high school career.  They lost their top two scorers that accounted for more than 50% of their scoring. The team this year doesn’t even have enough kids to field a full roster for a game, without calling up kids that are not varsity ready. They have not played a game with 18 skaters once. They played their last game with 11 skaters. They usually only have three lines and 5 defensemen. Tough to compete at the AA level with a roster that small. Yet they have competed, won a few games so far, and kept a couple close with the top teams.

And to top it all off, the previous coach has taken to twitter to mock this years team. Even though they have already won almost as many games as Montour won the first year they played AA. 3 wins so far this year as opposed to 4 wins for the whole year, when the previous coach was in charge. The first year in AA the team was loaded with talent too. Much more than this years team. And he disparages a board member that does more work than all the coaches combined because he stood up for what is right for the program and all the kids. Very petty. 

And lastly, I know of not one parent who was upset that the coaches left. And I am at all games and some practices talking to other parents. Haven’t heard one complaint.