Armstrong vs Mars incident

The entire Armstrong coaching staff had to be aware of this behavior ! This obviously was not the first time this happened. They chose to ignore and do nothing.  I feel they should be allowed to play the remaining games left in the season but not ALLOWED to be in  playoffs.  Bad decisions should have consequences !

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dee said:

The entire Armstrong coaching staff had to be aware of this behavior ! This obviously was not the first time this happened. They chose to ignore and do nothing.  I feel they should be allowed to play the remaining games left in the season but not ALLOWED to be in  playoffs.  Bad decisions should have consequences !

100% And, it should be noted, had the Armstrong coaching staff asked the security staff to do something, it's likely that they would have. That's why I blame the Armstrong coaches as much as anyone, personally. If they'd spoken up, as they SHOULD have, it probably would've been taken care of.

Edited by Lifelongbender
corrected misspelled word
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, sutton said:

All this outrage and news articles, and absolutely nothing mentioned that Armstrong was able to take their entire team and play last night and beat Butler.  Not a single player, coach, administrator was punished, it's like nothing happened for them.  You watch the league delay this until the outrage dies down and it'll just fade away.

Are the players and coaches the ones that deserve to be punished here.   I could partly blame them but I think the rink and security have the responsibility of providing an safe venue to play the game.   I’m sure tonight’s PIHL executive meeting agenda will involve a broom trying to sweep this mess under the rug.   Maybe PIHL should ban games from being played at the Belmont rink since it’s not a safe environment.  

sounds like it’s happened for a long time at both the PIHL and PAHL level at this rink. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chuck Gardiner said:

Are the players and coaches the ones that deserve to be punished here.   I could partly blame them but I think the rink and security have the responsibility of providing an safe venue to play the game.   I’m sure tonight’s PIHL executive meeting agenda will involve a broom trying to sweep this mess under the rug.   Maybe PIHL should ban games from being played at the Belmont rink since it’s not a safe environment.  

sounds like it’s happened for a long time at both the PIHL and PAHL level at this rink. 

The Players, Coaches, Game administrators, and Refs were all aware of the chants.  The players are seen multiple times, including the captain in the third period, egging the crowd on and telling them to get louder.  Watch the game.  If you discipline only the fans, nobody learns a thing here and nothing changes.  The team is just as culpable as the student section.

Edited by sutton
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, sutton said:

Did anyone else see the photo circling of the players on Armstrong and coaches posing with the student section in their costumes after the game?  After they had just chanted the entire evening, they all took time to yuck it up in photos.  But yeah, the team didn't do a thing...

Well I didn't see this photo, but if this is true, there's nothing more to say.

10 minutes ago, sutton said:

The Players, Coaches, Game administrators, and Refs were all aware of the chants.  The players are seen multiple times, including the captain in the third period, egging the crowd on and telling them to get louder.  Watch the game.  If you discipline only the fans, nobody learns a thing here and nothing changes.  The team is just as culpable as the student section.  Did anyone else see the photo circling of the players on Armstrong and coaches posing with the student section in their costumes after the game?  After they had just chanted the entire evening, they all took time to yuck it up in photos.  But yeah, the team didn't do a thing...

No, I wasn’t aware of that happening.   I agree with you and I would include the Armstrong hockey team/program as being responsible and should be punished.  It will be interesting to see how PIHL handles it.   

16 minutes ago, sutton said:

Not sure I'm able to post it, but how they are allowed to take the ice last night is inexcusable.

Please do not post the photo on this site. You may private message it to people if you wish. Feel free to send it my way if you’d like. 

• Like 2

Just now, forbin said:

Please do not post the photo on this site. You may private message it to people if you wish. Feel free to send it my way if you’d like. 

I was advised on PM by an Armstrong parent that the photo circulating is actually the team and not the team with fans.  So I'll eat crow on that one.

• Like 1

These outlets covering this story is all smoke and mirrors though, the question is what will actually get done here.  The PIHL is going to do whatever it takes to make this go away quietly as easily as possible.

Edited by sutton
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, sutton said:

The Players, Coaches, Game administrators, and Refs were all aware of the chants.  The players are seen multiple times, including the captain in the third period, egging the crowd on and telling them to get louder.  Watch the game.  If you discipline only the fans, nobody learns a thing here and nothing changes.  The team is just as culpable as the student section.

First off as someone who played hockey it is very hard to understand what people are saying from outside of the ice surface. So you are incorrect when saying they are all aware of the chants. Also, no one is seen egging on the inappropriate chants of the crowd. The players are just simply celebrating after scoring a goal like any other team would do. You need to stop exaggerating and bringing the team into this when they are not involved.

19 minutes ago, hockey123 said:

First off as someone who played hockey it is very hard to understand what people are saying from outside of the ice surface. So you are incorrect when saying they are all aware of the chants. Also, no one is seen egging on the inappropriate chants of the crowd. The players are just simply celebrating after scoring a goal like any other team would do. You need to stop exaggerating and bringing the team into this when they are not involved.

Check the time, this is late in the third period.  That is the captain, son of the president of Armstrong Hockey, clearly egging on the crowd after an ENTIRE GAME OF CHANTING.  They really look appalled at what was happening don't they?  You're wrong hockey123, they are just as much to blame.

Edited by sutton

1 hour ago, Danner27 said:

It appears someone from the armstrong board has entered the conversation. This is the mentality of their school and Pahl teams there. “Old school hockey “ it’s the culture in that area. I once shared a story on here about a little kid (5’5 or so) jumping up in the air to cross check a bigger kid in the head. Nothing was called. That little kid played for the river hawks. 

look, I’m pretty old, even I know that wasn’t taunting. That was verbal abuse of a sexual nature. No place for it. Taunting is chanting the goalies name when they give up a goal, the occasional  “you suck” getting yelled by some kid. But guess what ? Yelling you suck these days is starting to cross the line. Times changed. The game changed. Adapt. That’s what intelligent people do. 

This^^^^ and multiply it by a thousand.

• Like 1

Sutton, not doubting you but I'm not sure I see what you see in that clip.  Obviously you were there and have a whole different take on the situation and I don't think you will be satisfied until Armstrong is banned from ever playing hockey again. Sounds like you would be happy for the whole school to go be banned from sports!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hockey123 said:

I think we all know now what school district @hockey123 resides in.  

C'mon bro, just come out and say it.  Own it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sutton said:

Check the time, this is late in the third period.  That is the captain, son of the president of Armstrong Hockey, clearly egging on the crowd after an ENTIRE GAME OF CHANTING.  They really look appalled at what was happening don't they?  You're wrong hockey123, they are just as much to blame.

He is clearly just excited because the team is doing well and not only that but how could the team be appalled when they have no idea what is being chanted. 

Edited by hockey123
  • Uh, Ok 1

26 minutes ago, hockey123 said:

He is clearly just excited because the team is doing well and not only that but how could the team be appalled when they have no idea what is being chanted. 

So the goalie can hear the chanting as she was brought to tears during the game........but the Armstrong players can't hear it?  

Stop bro, just stop.  YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM. 

• 100 1

Hello Everyone-

Can I just ask everyone to "take a deep breath" and calm down before your next post.  I think the back and forth exchange is good, but not to the place where it's Popeye vs. Brutus.

It seems like this incident is being handled and was acted upon (from what I have read) pretty quickly after the game, which is good.  I am a 100% supporter of all hockey, mens/womens/disabled, and I also think that it takes a lot of courage for a young lady to play in a male high school league and I hope that most of you would recognize that.  

PB

• Like 3
  • 100 1

On 10/30/2021 at 2:24 PM, Danner27 said:

Jim black is still around ? I thought he had to step down due to conflict ? He is part owner of a rink PIHL sells ice to. He’s the epitome of corruption in youth sports - a politician taking kick backs. 

what happened at armstrong is fd up but the armstrong team should not be punished. Those kids are just playing the game. Blame the crap parenting and crap school district. Suspended the student section for a few games. 

Edited by Mr. Anderson

4 minutes ago, Mr. Anderson said:

I know you're not defending him but after seeing the story about Armstrong on the news and reading some of Jim Black's buddies defending him on this board I felt compelled to post. 

Anyone who has been in the steel city selects organization knows that Jim Black is TOXIC.  Most people put up with it because the local alternatives for girls hockey are either PAHL level hockey which is not competitive or you're ALL IN with Pens, provided your daughter is good enough for that organization.  Steel city is the in-between with lots of ice time and good competitive match-ups.  We put up with it for a few years when my daughter was younger but eventually left because of a couple of different coaches, Jim Black and Jason Evans, and the Board lets them get away with it. 

There are countless stories of how Black treats young women who play for him.  His bio on the North Pittsburgh Wildcats site says he treats each girl like his daughter.  That is total BS.  He berates them constantly.  All negative reinforcement.  Although maybe that is how he treats his daughters.  He cares about HIS hockey legacy and making money for Baierl.  And it's no surprise he's political.  How do you think he got to play hockey at a Michigan prep school when he was younger?  His daddy brokered a deal for him to go with a player they were recruiting. 

I recently ran into a current player's parent and they are disturbed that they have witnessed several girls quit on him the last couple of seasons.  I heard even one mother wrote a letter to Midam and the Steel city Board, who chose to ignore, about his demeaning and unprofessional behavior.  He's a walking safesport violation.

I miss going to the rink and watching youth hockey.  I do not miss neanderthals like Jim Black.  If you put him in the Good Guy Camp, you're either a family member, one of his golfing buddies, coaching buddies, on the Board of selects, or have a financial interest in Baierl.  He's a classless bully with a Napoleonic complex.

Wow, not sure this was the right place for that comment.  What ever axe you have to grind about Jim Black is out of place here.

• Like 1