Who are the good guys?

In the Armstrong thread, some local Pittsburgh hockey vets have been blasted and labeled everything under the sun - terrible, corrupt, incompetent, yadda yadda yadda.

I'm so tired of the negative.  You are too.

So please name one local hockey guy who does good job, or has done a good job.  There hast to be one.  Go ahead and call them out here.  Who are they and what do you or did you admire about what they did?

• Uh, Ok 1

16 hours ago, Jack Handey said:

In the Armstrong thread, some local Pittsburgh hockey vets have been blasted and labeled everything under the sun - terrible, corrupt, incompetent, yadda yadda yadda.

I'm so tired of the negative.  You are too.

So please name one local hockey guy who does good job, or has done a good job.  There hast to be one.  Go ahead and call them out here.  Who are they and what do you or did you admire about what they did?

I admire the courage of the Mars goalie to stand tall and finish that game regardless of the bullsh*t she put up with.  

• Like 3
  • 100 1

Since Jim Black was unfairly maligned in that same post, when ironically, his rink is one of the best to play at if you are female, I would name him a good one. 

Bob Arturo from RMU, retired. Marianne Watkins. Brianne McLaughlin. Howard Smith. 

Just about every coach my kid has ever had. The ones volunteering time to run their programs.  Be their team managers. The young people coming out to help with the mite programs. There are lots of good refs. 

There are a lot of good people in the hockey community. It's why we say 'hockey community'. This Board is mostly used to complain.

• Like 7
  • 100 1

1 minute ago, Saucey said:

Since Jim Black was unfairly maligned in that same post, when ironically, his rink is one of the best to play at if you are female, I would name him a good one. 

Bob Arturo from RMU, retired. Marianne Watkins. Brianne McLaughlin. Howard Smith. 

Just about every coach my kid has ever had. The ones volunteering time to run their programs.  Be their team managers. The young people coming out to help with the mite programs. There are lots of good refs. 

There are a lot of good people in the hockey community. It's why we say 'hockey community'. This Board is mostly used to complain.

Saucey, you are giving some great shoutouts to some really great people. I couldn't agree more.  I also want to recognize all the people on that Armstrong thread who wouldn't let it go away. Hopefully they helped to keep the situation in the spotlight till it was addressed.  I think every Hockey Association will be paying a little more attention to their Student sections in the future.  But I sure don't want to discourage the students and fans from coming out and cheering their teams.

I'll echo others and say that the RMU guys are great for the little ones. A lot of really good volunteer coaches and managers there. It's the best inhouse program in the area, by far.

Unsure of her name, but the mom who coordinated their mite program with Bob last year was one of the most organized and knowledgeable people I've ever come across. I hope she is still involved somewhere in some capacity.

Brad Michalski is an excellent skills coach and an all around great guy. I have never had a single bad experience with him, nor have I heard anyone else experiencing anything negative.

Bob Arturo was a great guy and was very pleasant to work with years ago.  He had a very tough job at times especially trying to run the Nutcracker tournament with all of us entitled parents giving him an earful about the placement of our superstars.  It's too bad he retired but I guess everyone hits that point in life.  I imagine it's both hard to walk away but in some ways gratifying that you don't have to deal with certain parents any more.

• Like 2

I really hope this post gains some traction.  There are far more good guys in our sport than bad, even though the bad gets discussed here far more often.  I grew up playing in this area and have coached for the last 13 years.  There are so many good and influential people I've met along the way.  Ranging from coaches I've played for, coaches I've coached with and against, business managers and other volunteers that sink countless hours and go the extra mile. 

He was already mentioned earlier, but Howard Smith deserves much praise for his contributions to the sport over the last 20 years.  A great coach but an even better man. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, sample39 said:

He was already mentioned earlier, but Howard Smith deserves much praise for his contributions to the sport over the last 20 years.  A great coach but an even better man. 

I've known Howard for a few years, and had the honor of coaching with him for a season. He's definitely one of the good guys.

• Like 2