What if the Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers got together and really supported Youth Hockey and the Community School Programs it serves?

7 hours ago, Pa Hockey said:

Crowd at the Well Fargo Game between Holy Ghost and Malvern Prep - 11/172021 

Right, that's it. The "crowd" is 2 sections. And that's the issue. They can't make enough money to justify it. They used to do it..... and then the $ became far more important than the game or the players or the fans.

• Like 2

Yep, as far as Pitt goes the administration and the school doesn’t like the hockey club and sticks it to them whenever they can.  Tryouts used to have 100+ kids at it every year for two teams. Now it’s about 35 for just one team.  This is not how an organization gets treated in a “hockey town” ?

Edited by Eddie Shore
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 10:06 AM, Pa Hockey said:

Pegula did not work 

I was there for one of the  years. Thought it was pretty cool but it was the same as having it in one of the NHL arenas. No atmosphere.

Iceline or Iceworks on the east side hold enough for the interest that is there for the state finals.

Attendance is directly influenced by winning and losing everywhere. Even in major markets. 
I won’t bore anyone with stats but the Rangers, Bruins, Flyers and Blackhawks have played for less than 100% attendance in lean years.

Given the regional population here that is way less than 50% of NY, Boston, Philly or Chicago it far less damning of the fan base when the Pens play to less than 100% capacity than a major market.

I think the percentage of people who are knowledgeable and passionate about hockey here is in direct correlation to the size of the population. I’m not sticking up for Pittsburgh but just looking at numbers.

High School hockey has been an institution in Minnesota forever. Yet they lost a franchise. And North Stars attendance was way down well before Green started the sale. The Wild have not played to 100% every year since they began playing in Minn.

Winning = asses in the seats. Everywhere.

Oh, and Detroit is the self proclaimed “HockeyTown”. 
They are at 84.4% in a new arena.
We can throw in covid etc. but still.

As far as HS hockey here, it’s not the kids or general population’s fault that hockey is treated like the red headed stepchild in HS sports. 
Just like PAHL… PIHL could do a better job with placements and divisions. When you have a very good TJ team playing AA with 5-6 AAA players on their roster the last few years I see a competitive balance problem. Not TJs fault at all. PIHL does a very vanilla job in evaluating teams and placing them correctly.

The only time PIHL does a thorough job is with their constant book checks and boy oh boy, do they love the power of discipline aspect of their operation. Put some of that energy toward something constructive for the teams/kids and things could begin to get better.

On 11/29/2021 at 3:27 PM, hockeyisgreat said:

Total attendance for the 3 games?  Or total for each game?

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/high-school-football/2021/11/26/WPIAL-football-championship-notes-factoids-2021/stories/202111240007

According to Mike White, they usually sell tickets that are good for all of the games, but this was the first time they had games on separate days and had separate tickets, i.e. a ticket for Friday's games and a ticket for Saturday's games. I can't find a figure for the sales on either day, but I imagine 12,000 for the two days is on the low side. A lot of these high school teams fill stadiums seating 2500 or so people. With 10 teams worth of people, you could imagine there might have been 20,000 tickets sold for the 2 days.

Edited by Spear and Magic Helmet

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...