Any female coaches in the area with high level playing experience?

Are there any female coaches (skating, skill, team, etc.) in the area with high level hockey experience as a player? I'm thinking top end prep school or NCAA D1 playing experience. Maybe even someone who fits that category but isn't currently coaching.

1 hour ago, Saucey said:

Brianne McLaughlin played goalie for the Olympic team. That high enough?

I didn't realize she was still in the area. Thank you.

Anyone else you can think of? Doesn't have to be an olympian!

Edited by RJUSHL

Coaching and training are two different things.  Do you want someone to give your child lessons?  Or do you want someone to coach a team next year?  It is much easier to coach a team and have a day job than it is to give lessons and have a day job.  

• Like 1

Sorry I've been unclear! I'm looking for a skills or skating coach to work with a small group of kids. Definately not trying to steal a coach away from a team. Separate from this board someone did give me a lead or two. It's amazing how many former players are in the area and under the radar but still active.

20 hours ago, GrumpyOldPucker said:

because if you haven't played at the highest levels you simply cannot know what you are talking about. ???

Hey Grumpy, obviously there are exceptions, but I don't think you would deny that there is a connection between top level coaches and a background that included high level playing experience, although I know most dads on here think they know what they're talking about. And specifically with skills and skating coaches, many young kids that are really trying to push their skating and skills are visual learners, and need to see someone demonstrate, not just bark orders like some of these old fat guys like to do. It's really not complicated to see why a group of kids would want a skills/skating coach with high level playing experience, that can still actually move on the ice.

Edited by RJUSHL
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 7:44 AM, RJUSHL said:

Hey Grumpy, obviously there are exceptions, but I don't think you would deny that there is a connection between top level coaches and a background that included high level playing experience, although I know most dads on here think they know what they're talking about. And specifically with skills and skating coaches, many young kids that are really trying to push their skating and skills are visual learners, and need to see someone demonstrate, not just bark orders like some of these old fat guys like to do. It's really not complicated to see why a group of kids would want a skills/skating coach with high level playing experience, that can still actually move on the ice.

Sort of.....  I would agree that playing at a high level would necessarily give someone exposure to connections to get considered for "upper tier" coaching positions... regardless of whether they have a clue how to teach. (Beyond a certain point you simply cannot get into that club without the secret handshake) Just because they had the skills to play at a high level does not mean that they can teach those same skills to others. I have seen way too many former high level players that completely fail as teachers - all their lives that just did it, they never really thought about how they did it. SPECIFICALLY AS SKATING COACHES..... if you ask them to break down the stride, weight transfer and edge control, how to do it, as well as what game situations certain edge techniques might be good and well.... yeah - no bueno..... Yes a lot of kids are visual learners, but you still need to know how to break down their technique to fix the bad habits and poor technique that they ingrained through all of their "visual learning"..... having played at a high level does noting to instill this in someone. It depends on their personality, how they were taught, and even to some extent whether they were naturally gifted or had to work on it to get a good stride.

We do agree that to teach skating you DO need to be able to demonstrate the technique - THAT does not require that you have played at a high level.... Just that you have good technique. I think that you would agree that here is sooo much more to teaching skating and especially power skating techniques than just demonstration.

Go watch a coach teach.... you should be able to determine if they are any good and whether their way of communicating meshes with how your kid learns.

Edited by GrumpyOldPucker
  • Like 1

Ashley Veschi played at RMU - coached PPE, not sure where she is now or if she does private lessons

Kate (Michaels) Binnie was captain of her D1 school, coached PPE, not sure where she is now or if she does private lessons

Kaley Mooney now U14 girls head coach PPE played and coached at Miami as well as coaching U18 and U20 boys in Sweden not sure if she does private lessons

Edited by GrumpyOldPucker
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, GrumpyOldPucker said:

Ashley Veschi played at RMU - coached PPE, not sure where she is now or if she does private lessons

Kate (Michaels) Binnie was captain of her D1 school, coached PPE, not sure where she is now or if she does private lessons

Kaley Mooney now U14 girls head coach PPE played and coached at Miami as well as coaching U18 and U20 boys in Sweden not sure if she does private lessons

Very helpful. Thank you.