Tier 2 Rankings for PAHL Teams

Here are the rankings for the top Tier 2 PAHL teams.

18U - Arctic Foxes - 92.96 - 19th USA Tier 2

05's - Steel City - 91.57 - 5th in USA Tier 2

06's - Allegheny Badgers - 89.60 - 5th in USA Tier 2

07's - Allegheny Badgers - 91.24 - 9th in USA Tier 2

08's - Steel City - 86.44 - 7th in USA Tier 2 

09's - SHAHA - 89.41 - N/A

10's - Aviators - 84.41 - N/A

11's - North Pittsburgh - 87.54 - N/A

12's - Predators - 83.95 - N/A

It is nice to see some of the local teams ranked so high in Tier 2. It would be great to see some of these teams represent Pittsburgh  at USA Hockey Nationals in the spring! Going to enjoy seeing how the 14U -18U rankings play out through the Mid-Am tournament. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

To many it doesn't matter because these teams don't have enough As after their name. 

To me it's not that, but when was the last time that one of the Western Pa teams that went up to Nationals do well? Seems, with the exception of the girls, western Pa teams get their butts handed to them. Our market still doesn't compare on that level of competition. We are getting better. 

Our teams don't have comparable hockey IQ and our passing game looks nothing like the teams at that top level. 

• Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Saucey said:

To me it's not that, but when was the last time that one of the Western Pa teams that went up to Nationals do well? Seems, with the exception of the girls, western Pa teams get their butts handed to them. Our market still doesn't compare on that level of competition. We are getting better. 

Our teams don't have comparable hockey IQ and our passing game looks nothing like the teams at that top level. 

On another note .......Look at the ACHA Division 1 Scoring ........Three LOCAL Players in the Top 5 Scorers in the Country 

American Collegiate Hockey Association Skater Stats 2021-22 ACHA Men's Regular Season | American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA) (achahockey.org)

Edited by Pa Hockey
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, hockeydadlife said:

I agree, good luck to those teams as the season heads for home.

. Following a few tournaments from the weekend and saw there are a few top teams not entering in games that would lose them points, and that’s a shame.

Then report the scores on their behalf especially if there is online proof of the game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saucey said:

Definitely true for the most part.  Lots of disappointment for teams who expected to do better.  South Hills obviously did well with their 2003 team in 2018.  Last season, North Pitt's 16U team team went 2-1 at Nationals which isn't bad.  They didn't advance to the quarter finals due to tiebreaker rules.  I could be wrong, but I think most teams that have gone recently haven't won more than one game...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, forbin said:

How do we fix that?

I theorize that it is because our kids have less time to play on their own around here, with less access to ice to allow for the game to teach them. No outdoor rinks, etc. Small area games would be USA hockey's answer.With passing....gotta make em do it I guess. But I don't really know what is different in training. I just know that seems to be the glaring difference between our teams and those from the big markets. 

Edited by Saucey
Clarification

1 hour ago, Saucey said:

I theorize that ir is because our kids have less time to play on their own around here, with less access to ice to allow for the game to teach them. No outdoor rinks, etc. Small area games would be USA hockey's answer. With passing....gotta make em do it I guess. But I don't really know what is different in training. I just know that seems to be the glaring difference between our teams and those from the big markets. 

Or maybe some kids should play Dek Hockey and Inline when they are less than 10 years old as a cheaper way of Skill Development 

• Like 2

From what I've seen, too much emphasis on individual skills, and no emphasis on hockey sense or playing a team game and filling the roles needed. More emphasis on trying to look like Pavel Barber than Pavel Datsyuk. A bigger deal made on what color your kids helmet is than how nice of a pass he made, or how many shots he blocked. How many players can I stick handle and deke around until I either score or turn the puck over, rather than how do the five of US get the puck out of our zone, into their zone, and in the net? And coaching that doesn't correct it at an early age.

Edited by nemesis8679
  • Like 1
  • 100 1

21 hours ago, Pa Hockey said:

On another note .......Look at the ACHA Division 1 Scoring ........Three LOCAL Players in the Top 5 Scorers in the Country 

American Collegiate Hockey Association Skater Stats 2021-22 ACHA Men's Regular Season | American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA) (achahockey.org)

Why didn't you include the top 20 which adds one more?

1 hour ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

most of the time the Pittsburgh teams end up in the bottom division anyways and go 0-3 or 1-2.  Pittsburgh is falling behind for sure...

For Tier II the bottom division is 1A. All Pgh teams were in 3A (top division) at Nationals this year.

1A 2A 3A is determined by geography and hockey-engagement within geography, and isn't indicative of the quality of a team.  Example: last year 16u Tier II Ashburn Xtreme.  MHR RANK: #1.   Yes that says #1.  At the top of Tier II.  USA Hockey placed them in tier 2A for nationals.  Obviously they could have hung with any of the 3A crowd.

45 minutes ago, Jack Handey said:

1A 2A 3A is determined by geography and hockey-engagement within geography, and isn't indicative of the quality of a team.  Example: last year 16u Tier II Ashburn Xtreme.  MHR RANK: #1.   Yes that says #1.  At the top of Tier II.  USA Hockey placed them in tier 2A for nationals.  Obviously they could have hung with any of the 3A crowd.

I was told that the divisions are based on membership size of the district with 3A being for teams out of the largest districts, which might explain why traditionally strong teams such as the Atlanta Fire and Ashburn Xtreme are put in 1A/2A. With that said, outside of a few teams in 1A, and 2A, 3A is definitely the strongest division overall.

2 hours ago, Danner27 said:

Because he’s trying to brag about his kid ?

I don't need to .....he can fend for himself. 

Justin Adamski (Hampton) and Roman Kramer (Serra) of RMU are tremendous young men and terrific players from Western Pennsylvania 

Dominick Glavech (Indiana PA) and Gavin Cummings (Buffalo and Vengeance) of IUP are great players as well so thanks for recognizing them

Edited by Pa Hockey

• 1 month later...

Not much has changed as far as the top teams but it is still great to see some local teams ranking so high Nationally.

Latest Rankings:

18U - Arctic Foxes - 92.94 - 18th USA Tier 2

05's - Steel City - 91.61 - 6th USA Tier 2

06's - Allegheny - 90.07 - 5th USA Tier 2

07's - Allegheny - 91.06 - 7th USA Tier 2

08's - Steel City - 86.37 - 9th USA Tier 2

09's - SHAHA - 89.86

10's - Aviators - 85.02

11's - North Pgh - 88.00

12's - Preds - 84.56

• Like 1