Penalty Minutes

So I have been thinking - the penalty minutes being matched to the length of the period have been a great success in my opinion. Makes penalties much more accurate of a punishment for the crime and I think PAHL made a good decision to leave majors alone.  Other people have good experiences?  Any idea why PIHL doesn't seem to have adopted this as well?

It has definitely worked at the younger age groups so we don't have kids taking a hooking penalty and missing 2/12 minutes in a given period.  The only drawback I've seen is how quickly the PP opportunities go by.  This has lead to very little time to give different groups of kids the chance to get PP time.  This has also lead to less chancse to get set up in the zone and begin the process of learning to "set-up" on a power play.  From talking to some parents I know with kids playing at the 1min penalty levels, all the chances come off of the rush and very few are during "extended" zone time where the kids get to develop quicker decision making and passing skills.

24 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

That's correct - 1 min 12 or less minutes, 1:30 under 15 (13 or 14 min periods) and 15+ 2 minutes correct?  

It's supposed to now be 1.5 min for 15 min, with 2 min kicking in for periods 17 min or more. But local organizations were given the ability to over-ride those guides and PAHL apparently did for their older ages.

12 hours ago, Loach said:

It's supposed to now be 1.5 min for 15 min, with 2 min kicking in for periods 17 min or more. But local organizations were given the ability to over-ride those guides and PAHL apparently did for their older ages.

That's right. PAHL decided to stick with 2:00 penalties for the older ages.

On 12/14/2021 at 9:02 AM, Corsi said:

This has lead to very little time to give different groups of kids the chance to get PP time.

If your 12U or younger team has a set group of players for the PP, you should ask the Coach, why?

Roll your lines, teach them all PP and SH situations and you will be surprised at who are some of the more capable players in these situations.

PK requires a lot of thinking and desire. PP requires an understanding of spacing and puck movement.

Nowadays, all of these traits can be difficult to find in players.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

If your 12U or younger team has a set group of players for the PP, you should ask the Coach, why?

Roll your lines, teach them all PP and SH situations and you will be surprised at who are some of the more capable players in these situations.

PK requires a lot of thinking and desire. PP requires an understanding of spacing and puck movement.

You missed my point.  They are not running a set PP and are just turning over lines, but my point is that the kids are pretty much only getting 1 unit out per PP attempt, with the second unit getting 10-15 seconds if they are lucky.  Not enough time to get a change.

On 12/17/2021 at 11:34 AM, sadday4hockey said:

Especially when they have less time now to work on those skills.  Power plays are a joke with the shortened penalties!