A terrible tragedy.

This wasn't local, but its an important reminder to stress wearing a throat guard. I don't know if he had one or not, or if he was wearing one and it failed, or if it wouldn't have mattered either way. But all the same, it's a grim reminder to be as safe as you possibly can out there. What a nightmare. 

My heart goes out to his family, teammates, and friends. 

https://www.newstimes.com/news/article/St-Luke-s-identifies-Teddy-Balkind-as-student-16757105.php?cmpid=fbsocialflow

Thanks for the link.  I had read about this earlier, but the only information given in the article was that he had fallen onto the ice and another player collided with him inadvertently.  No other details were given.  Terrible...

My opinion on neck guards has been back and forth over the years.  Most do not really provide much coverage, but I guess some protection might be better than nothing under certain circumstances.

With that said, my son wears cut resistant materials from the neck down in all vulnerable areas.

• Like 1

This article makes it sound like a medical malpractice from the surgery than as a result of the game....... not sure that is actually the case but saying unremarkable hockey play, treated there, then not surviving a surgery?  I'm sure the hospital would love to drive the narrative in a different direction if possible. 

6 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

This article makes it sound like a medical malpractice from the surgery than as a result of the game....... not sure that is actually the case but saying unremarkable hockey play, treated there, then not surviving a surgery?  I'm sure the hospital would love to drive the narrative in a different direction if possible. 

I don't  know. The quote from the police was that he did "as a result of the injury". It's not out of the realm of possibility that it was emergency trauma surgery as a last-ditch effort and just too much blood loss? 

Edited by nemesis8679

7 hours ago, sarampage said:

Thanks for the link.  I had read about this earlier, but the only information given in the article was that he had fallen onto the ice and another player collided with him inadvertently.  No other details were given.  Terrible...

My opinion on neck guards has been back and forth over the years.  Most do not really provide much coverage, but I guess some protection might be better than nothing under certain circumstances.

With that said, my son wears cut resistant materials from the neck down in all vulnerable areas.

Yeah I've been unsure myself, and a study I saw said it didn't make a huge difference with some of them. BUT that was a few years ago, and now with newer materials and technology, I think it does make a difference. Pretty sure the study was just mostly the fabric velcro type, not the newer kind with the bibs and materials that harden on impact. 

And I think either way the make a difference at lower ages where they strength, size, and weight aren't as much. 

Edited by nemesis8679