Problems during the “battle of the suck”

U18 “AAA” 

Icemen (dead last in the district #12)

VS

Predators (next to dead last #11)

Both teams had nothing to play for, both were eliminated from districts all the way back in October. 

I was told after the predators lost both games - afterward, off the ice a predator player attacked someone. Police had to be called. Mid Am is involved. What is it - every year with teams from the predators ? Refs getting punched last year, parents fighting at the tier 2 districts, kids quit half way through the season at all levels, on & on. Sure there are problems of sorts everywhere, but this club - it’s constant. 

Side note - Mt Lebanon U18 “AAA” tied the Arctic Foxes Pahl AA team 2-2.  

Edited by Danner27

It's the parents/culture there (and a few other teams), and they start that way while they're young. I hate playing SHAHA, Allegheny, Predatators, and Erie teams- they're just like that. 

Couple that with the fact that Yetis/Icemen is a landing pad for the disgruntled, and you had a recipe for disaster. 

• Like 1

There are problem coaches, parents, and players in every organization. Most of the time it is a certain team or group of people that cause most of the issues. To call out entire organizations for their "culture" is ridiculous. The vast majority of people involved in youth hockey just want to watch their kids play and enjoy the ride. It is the small percentage of idiots who ruin it for everyone else. When my kid played we always had issues with the Vipers  and Armstrong but to say the entire organization was bad is just ignorant. Maybe we should just ban all of the organizations that are issues or take it even further and cancel youth hockey all together!

1 hour ago, Hattrick Swayze said:

There are problem coaches, parents, and players in every organization. Most of the time it is a certain team or group of people that cause most of the issues. To call out entire organizations for their "culture" is ridiculous. The vast majority of people involved in youth hockey just want to watch their kids play and enjoy the ride. It is the small percentage of idiots who ruin it for everyone else. When my kid played we always had issues with the Vipers  and Armstrong but to say the entire organization was bad is just ignorant. Maybe we should just ban all of the organizations that are issues or take it even further and cancel youth hockey all together!

Not true. Any time we play Foxes or Indiana or Altoona... the atmosphere is totally different than when playing those teams I mentioned. It carries over to the school teams, too. Get enough players and parents from those teams I mentioned on the same school teams, and they act the same way. 

Obviously it's not every single parent or player- just enough to make those teams miserable. 

And who said anything about banning organizations or canceling youth hockey? Only you did. Get a grip. 

• Like 1
  • 100 1

Organizations need to set the tone early by building in training for coaches and managers to tell parents what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior.  That nips it in the bud. One thing Pens Elite does right is to set parent expectations up front. Preds and Allegheny are terrible, closely followed by SHAHA and teams from the middle of nowhere. I always assumed Preds were that way because they recruit kids by telling them they are the best kid in Pittsburgh and everyone who goes there thinks they are truly AAA players when they are really mid grade AA players. 

• 100 1

• 2 months later...

Back the battle of the suck - did the icemen have enough at tryouts to field 16U & 18U “AAA” ?

I’m told just about everyone that tried out for the predators 18U “AAA” made the team. The predators held a supplement last night hoping for cut esmark kids. None showed up. 

predators 16U AAA - the same boat & there is no 16U Vengeance ?? 

did parents & players finally wise up ?  I know they still picked up 20 suckers @ 18U, but the pool to pick from was very, very shallow this year. 

Edited by Danner27

@Danner27 you really just need something to do as everything you post is to get some drama and comment thread going. You are like the people hanging out gossiping in the aisles at Giant Eagle.

It was not the entire team. It was the goalie, a player and a drunk dad. Most of the team and parents were embarrassed by the actions of the few. And it was months ago...good lord... 

Why do you always have to tell kids they suck? It kind of seems like you suck. I'd rather kids be playing a sport they love vs hanging out at house parties. Who cares where they play? What do you care where they play? Maybe they just want more responsibility and life lessons than PAHL can provide? Maybe they want structure... playing on most AAA teams regardless of what you think of them carries more responsibility for the player, hence life learnings. Cheaper than prep school.

PE and Esmark are not for everyone...nor is PAHL... But maybe you are that guy who knows every parent/player and why they make their decisions...

Maybe the moderators can make a worthless gossip and attention forum for you, or try Facebook, WPXI post are always a great place to let loose in the comment section. 

• Like 1
  • Fist Bump 2

40 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Back the battle of the suck - did the icemen have enough at tryouts to field 16U & 18U “AAA” ?

I’m told just about everyone that tried out for the predators 18U “AAA” made the team. The predators held a supplement last night hoping for cut esmark kids. None showed up. 

predstors 16U AAA - the same boat.

did parents & players finally wise up ?  I know they still picked up 20 suckers @ 18U, but the pool to pick from was very, very shallow this year. 

I agree with @ice is cold  It is one thing to voice your opinions on an organization and their transgressions as to how it is run, cost, travel, player selection process, coaching, etc.  Opinions are expressed here to help others make somewhat of an educated decision as to where they would like their kids to play and at what level.  But it is another thing when you call teenage kids suckers and bash them for joining whatever team they desire.  You have a history of calling every other org outside of PPE as shit or "battle of the suck."  I guess we are all jealous of your kids wondrous skill set and that our kids have not achieved the greatness your kid did.

You have also said your kid have aged out, so what do you have to gain on this forum other than patting yourself on the back thinking you know everything about everything, all the while bashing underage kids?

Get a life, a lady friend, another hobby, anything.  Your act is beyond old and tired.

• Like 4
  • Fist Bump 1

19 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

I agree with @ice is cold  It is one thing to voice your opinions on an organization and their transgressions as to how it is run, cost, travel, player selection process, coaching, etc.  Opinions are expressed here to help others make somewhat of an educated decision as to where they would like their kids to play and at what level.  But it is another thing when you call teenage kids suckers and bash them for joining whatever team they desire.  You have a history of calling every other org outside of PPE as shit or "battle of the suck."  I guess we are all jealous of your kids wondrous skill set and that our kids have not achieved the greatness your kid did.

You have also said your kid have aged out, so what do you have to gain on this forum other than patting yourself on the back thinking you know everything about everything, all the while bashing underage kids?

Get a life, a lady friend, another hobby, anything.  Your act is beyond old and tired.

I couldn't have said it any better!  fafa fohi you are the man!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

I Call it like it is. Sorry if it hurts someone’s feeling’s. That’s life! 

All I see is an old man whose kids don't play youth hockey creeping on a youth hockey board. What the heck do you see? You pull up incidents that happened months ago. Do you go hang out at rinks and watch teams play?  Don't you have your own kids to go watch do something?  Since they are adults now, maybe you can learn something from them because no one here is learning from you, with exception of bad behavior and negativity. Wonder why hockey is like it is ???

1 hour ago, ice is cold said:

All I see is an old man whose kids don't play youth hockey creeping on a youth hockey board. What the heck do you see? You pull up incidents that happened months ago. Do you go hang out at rinks and watch teams play?  Don't you have your own kids to go watch do something?  Since they are adults now, maybe you can learn something from them because no one here is learning from you, with exception of bad behavior and negativity. Wonder why hockey is like it is ???

Still hanging out at the rinks watching my niece play from time to time. so yes,  I get to catch other forms of youth hockey. 

instead of flooding this board with a new topic, I brought up tryouts this spring on a thread already related to the battle of the suck. Western Pa’s bottom of the bottom faux tier 1 hockey. 

I think I found a dreaming predator’s  mom. 

3 hours ago, ice is cold said:

What do you care where they play?

Because there is community value in PAHL and good economies too.  When my AA team buys in to PAHL but your AA(A) team doesn't, what happens?  Hockey gets more expensive for everyone.  In PAHL we might both pay $2k for our kids to play.  But to be independent/AAA, you pay $5k-$6k for your additional A.  Next year, because there aren't enough PAHL teams, now I have to shop for that additional A too.  So where we were once paying a combined $4k, now we pay a combined $10k.  Aaaand since we are too proud to play each other, both teams need to go out of town to play when they could just as easily have played here.  More $$$ flushed away.  Bad for us as community because we live in the same town, hold common interests, yet unable to share them.  Bad for us financially because we pay a premium on something that could have been had for 50% the price.

• Like 5
  • 100 3

3 hours ago, Danner27 said:

I Call it like it is. Sorry if it hurts someone’s feeling’s. That’s life! 

I deleted my original response to @Danner27 and the post above. Berating kids is, and I quote “that’s life?”

What’s the point in wasting any more time on him?  

Edited by fafa fohi
  • 100 1

45 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

I deleted my original response to @Danner27 and the post above. Berating kids is, and I quote “that’s life?”

What’s the point in wasting any more time on him?  

I didn’t berate any kids, my comments are direct at the clubs, the people running them along with the A chasing parents. 

1 hour ago, Jack Handey said:

Because there is community value in PAHL and good economies too.  When my AA team buys in to PAHL but your AA(A) team doesn't, what happens?  Hockey gets more expensive for everyone.  In PAHL we might both pay $2k for our kids to play.  But to be independent/AAA, you pay $5k-$6k for your additional A.  Next year, because there aren't enough PAHL teams, now I have to shop for that additional A too.  So where we were once paying a combined $4k, now we pay a combined $10k.  Aaaand since we are too proud to play each other, both teams need to go out of town to play when they could just as easily have played here.  More $$$ flushed away.  Bad for us as community because we live in the same town, hold common interests, yet unable to share them.  Bad for us financially because we pay a premium on something that could have been had for 50% the price.

Preach - you use words better than I can in my old age ? 

17 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

I didn’t berate any kids, my comments are direct at the clubs, the people running them along with the A chasing parents. 

I don't recall an instance whee you berated kids. Seems you touched a nerve with some people. The topic of AAA teams never goes out of style here 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack Handey said:

Those are some deep thoughts….

ill see myself out

4 hours ago, Jack Handey said:

To be honest, you could flip this around and say why do you need PAHL, do you really need to play AA. All that does is cost us money. We could all play inhouse for $800-$1000 at our home rink and not have to travel all over western Pa, Ohio, Erie and WV. Before you say it will never work, look at Sweden and Finland. Those teams play inhouse and have the highest level of NHL players per population. Instead of matching teams you are now matching lines and playing them against each other. So you top 15-20 kids make up 4-5 lines that are matched up, your next 15-20 are your teams 2nd line and play against each other. Save gas, time and buy more ice and better coaching. It make sense, but yet no one really wants to do it after ADM. But hey lets tell people what they should do and how to spend their money and how they are stupid cause they don't agree or want to play in your reindeer games. Go ahead and buy those two AA's for your ego. I don't get why we can't just all play A major, or wait, A Minor, no no, B. Fuck it, I am going bowling, this shit sucks and all parents don't like when I am drinking beer at 6am practice. I just don't get why people just don't do as I say and I keep reasoning with myself making me feel I am right.

• Like 1
  • Fist Bump 1

7 minutes ago, mrfreeze said:

To be honest, you could flip this around and say why do you need PAHL, do you really need to play AA. All that does is cost us money. We could all play inhouse for $800-$1000 at our home rink and not have to travel all over western Pa, Ohio, Erie and WV. Before you say it will never work, look at Sweden and Finland. Those teams play inhouse and have the highest level of NHL players per population. Instead of matching teams you are now matching lines and playing them against each other. So you top 15-20 kids make up 4-5 lines that are matched up, your next 15-20 are your teams 2nd line and play against each other. Save gas, time and buy more ice and better coaching. It make sense, but yet no one really wants to do it after ADM. But hey lets tell people what they should do and how to spend their money and how they are stupid cause they don't agree or want to play in your reindeer games. Go ahead and buy those two AA's for your ego. I don't get why we can't just all play A major, or wait, A Minor, no no, B. Fuck it, I am going bowling, this shit sucks and all parents don't like when I am drinking beer at 6am practice. I just don't get why people just don't do as I say and I keep reasoning with myself making me feel I am right.

Western pa is not Canada, Sweden, Finland or even Michigan. 

5 hours ago, Danner27 said:

Still hanging out at the rinks watching my niece play from time to time. so yes,  I get to catch other forms of youth hockey. 

instead of flooding this board with a new topic, I brought up tryouts this spring on a thread already related to the battle of the suck. Western Pa’s bottom of the bottom faux tier 1 hockey. 

I think I found a dreaming predator’s  mom. 

Clearly you read every situation wrong. 

5 hours ago, Jack Handey said:

So because some families prefer to pay a little extra to have coaches that hold their child responsible and give them accountability (the extra A) you feel it's making you pay more? 90% of players in AAA play because most PAHL teams have zero accountability. Practices with 10 kids, goofing off, coaches who volunteer, which I give them all the credit, but are not hockey coaches. It's all what your player wants and if people want to spend the extra money for a team who is held accountable and committed, so be it. Why again should you care? Shall everyone change their values and what they want for your wallet? And I don't know about your kid, but my kid and us love to travel. See new cities. Meet new people and friends. All things AAA gives you and PAHL does not. No different than AAU basketball, elite travel soccer teams, etc...you sound self serving and selfish. 

• Like 2
  • Fist Bump 1