Shaler vs Latrobe

2 hours ago, Realitycheck said:

I watched the videos numerous times and don’t see a punch thrown at any point other than the beginning. So I’m not sure where that accusation came from. 

There are many versions of videos of this being shared. Sadly one shows a Shaler player, helmet off, full face shown and name and number clear as day on the Shaler jersey, running up and punching a Latrobe parent.  You can also see one of the assistant coaches trying to break it up. What leads a kid to act like they can do anything without consequences? So while maybe other kids were punished, apparently this one missed the memo. It’s sad for high school hockey and sad for Shaler.

Previous coach was fired for a lot less than this. Seems completely unfair to him at this point.

56 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

There are many versions of videos of this being shared. Sadly one shows a Shaler player, helmet off, full face shown and name and number clear as day on the Shaler jersey, running up and punching a Latrobe parent.  You can also see one of the assistant coaches trying to break it up. What leads a kid to act like they can do anything without consequences? So while maybe other kids were punished, apparently this one missed the memo. It’s sad for high school hockey and sad for Shaler.

Previous coach was fired for a lot less than this. Seems completely unfair to him at this point.

Yeah it’s a shame and embarrassment for all involved. Do you have Terri’s video to post it here? I have seen it but don’t have it saved. 

1 hour ago, Realitycheck said:

Yeah it’s a shame and embarrassment for all involved. Do you have Terri’s video to post it here? I have seen it but don’t have it saved. 

The video I saw was being shared by Latrobe kids. I would not be sharing any videos of high school students here. Search up Instagram if you want to see a video. I’m sure you’ll find something.

15 hours ago, ItsJustASport said:

Hi I used be the Senior goalie for Shaler Hockey. I quit about 2 months ago for various reasons. Players not being disciplined at Shaler is nothing new. Safe-sport actually reached out to me. I am assuming they reached out to me because a current player/parent reported shaler. I have nothing to hide, and no reason to protect anyone. 

Interesting takes from people who claim to know nothing. The coach first asked me if we could text. He is in a position of power over me and if I were to say no, I would’ve been “punished” by docking my play. 

P.S. if you think this is the first time I didn’t get what I want then you obviously know nothing.

This is interesting to me since my MS  player was serving an extra suspension  for telling a ref to "end the damn game" after a terribly ref'd game: note one suspension was from the league and other from Shaler to make clear the disrespect will not be tolerated.  

The additional game suspension is given due to the disrespect towards the referees which lead to the game suspension that they gave to XXXX. We want to make it clear that this behavior is unacceptable especially towards referees. If you have any questions or anything please let me know.

Seems like they aren't afraid to discipline when warranted at the MS level so why would Varsity be any different? The MS kids are looking up to the Varsity kids as role models so that seems comical their conduct would go undisciplined.  

Edited by HockeyHockey
Caused confusion

13 hours ago, Realitycheck said:

I am a parent that knows a lot of the families within the organization and hockey community. Believe me what I am saying I’m sure more than just the coaches and board members know. 

What does that mean? Meaning more than the coaches and board members know what?  

Edited by HockeyHockey

47 minutes ago, HockeyHockey said:

This is interesting to me since my MS  player was serving an extra suspension as follows for telling a ref to "end the damn game" after a terribly ref'd game: note one suspension was from the league and other from Shaler to make clear the disprespect will not be tolerated,  which is comical given the conduct of our Varsity role models my 7th grader has to "look up to."  

The additional game suspension is given due to the disrespect towards the referees which lead to the game suspension that they gave to XXXX. We want to make it clear that this behavior is unacceptable especially towards referees. If you have any questions or anything please let me know.

Who made the decision for the organization to give their own suspension? The MS coach? Varsity coach? Athletic Director? So they do that at MS level, but let Varsity do whatever they want? Sounds unorganized. 

Edited by nemesis8679

57 minutes ago, HockeyHockey said:

This is interesting to me since my MS  player was serving an extra suspension as follows for telling a ref to "end the damn game" after a terribly ref'd game: note one suspension was from the league and other from Shaler to make clear the disprespect will not be tolerated,  which is comical given the conduct of our Varsity role models my 7th grader has to "look up to."  

I think it’s pretty harsh to blame the whole team for the acts of a few people here. I think this goes beyond coaches and hockey. Parents have to take responsibility also for their kids behavior. This is after a game while teams are coming off the ice how can you blame everyone for that happening? I just think that’s harsh and incorrectly placing the blame.  This player has been suspended by the league according to league documentation and others have as well. Do you know if the additional suspensions occurred for those players? 

15 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

Who made the decision for the organization to give their own suspension? The MS coach? Varsity coach? Athletic Director? So they do that at MS level, but let Varsity do whatever they want? Sounds unorganized. 

I’m wondering the same thing on this. I replied to this also this player acting this way I don’t think can mean the whole team is poorly behaved kids. I think that’s a wrongful accusation. 

4 hours ago, Realitycheck said:

I’m wondering the same thing on this. I replied to this also this player acting this way I don’t think can mean the whole team is poorly behaved kids. I think that’s a wrongful accusation. 

4 hours ago, Realitycheck said:

I think it’s pretty harsh to blame the whole team for the acts of a few people here. I think this goes beyond coaches and hockey. Parents have to take responsibility also for their kids behavior. This is after a game while teams are coming off the ice how can you blame everyone for that happening? I just think that’s harsh and incorrectly placing the blame.  This player has been suspended by the league according to league documentation and others have as well. Do you know if the additional suspensions occurred for those players? 

I'm sorry - it doesn't appear I articulated that well. My comment was not actually regarding this specific incident, but was in response to the prior comment about players not being disciplined being nothing new at Shaler, as that hasn't been our experience. 

I agree there are likely plenty of great kids on that team, including this player; sports are intense and kids get passionate and sometimes they act on it in ways that we would not expect.  It doesn't make them "bad" but I do believe they need to be held accountable and if they aren't as was stated in a prior comment, it doesn't set the right example for those coming up through the program.  

I believe the MS and Varsity coach made the decision on the extra suspension for my son and I support it.  He needs to be accountable for his decisions on and off the ice. I would hope that if my player reaches Varsity level that he isn't off the hook from a disciplinary perspective, as he would be the role model setting the example for the younger kids in the program. 

5 hours ago, Realitycheck said:

5 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

I believe the MS & Varsity coaching staff made the decision they felt appropriate for his action.  I don't believe the AD was involved and I don't believe he needed to be.  It was news to me that Varsity players were going undisciplined as I would have expected there to be consistency; but if it is true, it's sends mixed messaging for sure.  

7 hours ago, HockeyHockey said:

This is interesting to me since my MS  player was serving an extra suspension  for telling a ref to "end the damn game" after a terribly ref'd game: note one suspension was from the league and other from Shaler to make clear the disprespect will not be tolerated.  

Seems like they aren't afraid to discipline when warranted at the MS level so why would Varsity be any different? The MS kids are looking up to the Varsity kids as role models so that seems comical their conduct would go undisciplined.  

Saying it’s a problem and saying it doesn’t exist are two different things. This player was correct. One of the players that went into the stands had game misconducts by PIHL and never had to serve additional games from the team while others had to.  There were also incidents with this player at practice where he hurt other players on the team, again just brushed aside by the coach. Being overly strict for many while letting a few do whatever is inconsistent.  I would agree that is a problem. 

The video I saw was taken from a cellphone on the same side as the incident, with the Shaler player in question saying "what are you gonna do, what are you gonna do?" to the parent in the stands before charging him and throwing punches.  

No player name being used here, no uniform number either.  But this kid should never be allowed to play another HS hockey game.   

56 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Saying it’s a problem and saying it doesn’t exist are two different things. This player was correct. One of the players that went into the stands had game misconducts by PIHL and never had to serve additional games from the team while others had to.  There were also incidents with this player at practice where he hurt other players on the team, again just brushed aside by the coach. Being overly strict for many while letting a few do whatever is inconsistent.  I would agree that is a problem. 

Oh boy.  Now I understand what was being conveyed was not intended as non-existent, but inconsistent.  Thanks for clarifying and I would agree. The same standard should apply. 

Edited by HockeyHockey

6 hours ago, fafa fohi said:

The video I saw was taken from a cellphone on the same side as the incident, with the Shaler player in question saying "what are you gonna do, what are you gonna do?" to the parent in the stands before charging him and throwing punches.  

No player name being used here, no uniform number either.  But this kid should never be allowed to play another HS hockey game.   

Somebody claimed a player punched a shaler coach, then quit the team. Do you know if that's true? 

6 hours ago, HockeyHockey said:

Oh boy.  Now I understand what was being conveyed was not intended as non-existent, but inconsistent.  Thanks for clarifying and I would agree. The same standard should apply. 

I would say that if the league suspended your player a game for merely telling the ref to "end the damn  game", that's enough- and seems like a bit much, honestly. The org taking it upon itself to add another game to it seems unnecessary. And if they haven't done that to every person who has gotten a game misconduct that's sending the wrong message. If they have rules like that, then they should be consistent. Otherwise, they may as well not even have them. 

46 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

I would say that if the league suspended your player a game for merely telling the ref to "end the damn  game", that's enough- and seems like a bit much, honestly. The org taking it upon itself to add another game to it seems unnecessary. And if they haven't done that to every person who has gotten a game misconduct that's sending the wrong message. If they have rules like that, then they should be consistent. Otherwise, they may as well not even have them. 

Something just doesn’t line up - being suspended for saying to a ref “end the game”. Doesn’t make much sense. 

I'm not throwing stones here so please don't take this that way.  IMO the entire program needs to be shut down for the rest of the season.  I'm sorry you punish the entire team for the acts of a few.  This teaches "team" responsibility, these players are all responsible for the reputation of Shaler Hockey and the program.  Just suspending the kids who went into the stands sends the wrong message to every other team in the league. The players activly involved shoud be suspended for 2 games to start next year if they are not seniors.  Suspend them from amatuer hockey as well.

Everyone needs to be more responsible in these situations.  AD's game administration, officials, coaches and even other players.  Chirping and shit talking someone on the ice is one thing, this is something completly different.  I don't see a whole bunch of penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct being called at any level.  Routinely we see players throwing punches and going at it in varsity games with nothing called.  There are certain "rules" of hockey that go unpunished.  You are wacking at the goalie after he has the puck, people coach and encourage players to clear the net.  2 ways to look at this-1. you got what you deserved for your poor behavior, 2. call the penalty and send the kid to the box. 

I agree that parents should have done more.  These kids are responsible for what they do on the ice.  If my kid would have ever left the ice and went into the stands near me he would be dealing with me.  I would hope my friends and other parents would feel the same way and would have stopped them from coming into the stands before this even got started.  

Sounds like there is a lot of things I don't know and I'm not trying to comment on all those but will state that the head coach is ultimately responsible for the actions of the team and everyone assoctiated with it.

This is just another example of the decay of society and lack of personal responsibility.  

• 100 1

6 hours ago, HSFBLJ said:

I'm not throwing stones here so please don't take this that way.  IMO the entire program needs to be shut down for the rest of the season.  I'm sorry you punish the entire team for the acts of a few.  This teaches "team" responsibility, these players are all responsible for the reputation of Shaler Hockey and the program.  Just suspending the kids who went into the stands sends the wrong message to every other team in the league. The players activly involved shoud be suspended for 2 games to start next year if they are not seniors.  Suspend them from amatuer hockey as well.

Everyone needs to be more responsible in these situations.  AD's game administration, officials, coaches and even other players.  Chirping and shit talking someone on the ice is one thing, this is something completly different.  I don't see a whole bunch of penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct being called at any level.  Routinely we see players throwing punches and going at it in varsity games with nothing called.  There are certain "rules" of hockey that go unpunished.  You are wacking at the goalie after he has the puck, people coach and encourage players to clear the net.  2 ways to look at this-1. you got what you deserved for your poor behavior, 2. call the penalty and send the kid to the box. 

I agree that parents should have done more.  These kids are responsible for what they do on the ice.  If my kid would have ever left the ice and went into the stands near me he would be dealing with me.  I would hope my friends and other parents would feel the same way and would have stopped them from coming into the stands before this even got started.  

Sounds like there is a lot of things I don't know and I'm not trying to comment on all those but will state that the head coach is ultimately responsible for the actions of the team and everyone assoctiated with it.

This is just another example of the decay of society and lack of personal responsibility.  

Shut the entire program down? You're nuts. That accomplishes nothing that just suspending the kids who threw punches does.  I'll go further and say kids trying to break it up? They should get no punishment. 

On 2/13/2022 at 8:45 AM, fafa fohi said:

What about the person in the stands who apparently engaged and goaded the player?  Will he or she get banned from future PIHL events.  If there is cell phone video it should be easy to identify this person or persons!  If it was a Latrobe fan or parent shouldn't there program identify and somehow ban this person?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hockeyisgreat said:

What about the person in the stands who apparently engaged and goaded the player?  Will he or she get banned from future PIHL events.  If there is cell phone video it should be easy to identify this person or persons!  If it was a Latrobe fan or parent shouldn't there program identify and somehow ban this person?  

I'm with you on this. Some of these parents this they can call these kids names and yell crazy stuff at them. Some of them won't take it. 

• Like 2

From what I can tell from livebarn it looks like Latrobe dad and Shaler mom and dad are jarring back and forth at the end of the game. Shaler mom holding Shaler dad back from attacking until Shaler player comes off the ice and both player and dad attack Latrobe dad. Then other parents separate player from the situation and this start to somewhat deescalate. 

Latrobe won the game. Shaler players should be suspended, and this Shaler mom and dad should be banned.

16 minutes ago, forbin said:

From what I can tell from livebarn it looks like Latrobe dad and Shaler mom and dad are jarring back and forth at the end of the game. Shaler mom holding Shaler dad back from attacking until Shaler player comes off the ice and both player and dad attack Latrobe dad. Then other parents separate player from the situation and this start to somewhat deescalate. 

Latrobe won the game. Shaler players should be suspended, and this Shaler mom and dad should be banned.

If it is as you say then the Latrobe parent should press charges against the Shaler Dad & Player for attacking him.  It's one thing to talk trash and a whole different thing to attack someone for their talking.   Just my opinion of course.