Shaler vs Latrobe

49 minutes ago, Loves Puck said:

Latrobe Parent, Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

What happened in the stands was no more than a scrum in the crease. 

Play on.

A scrum in the crease?  A player with skates on leaves the ice, runs up the stairs and throws punches at a parent.  There is nothing to what this kid did is remotely related to a “scrum in the crease” because in such a case, it involves players only within the playing surface. 

Hypothetically, say there is a scrum in the crease and punches are being thrown between players. Are you good with a parent adding to the melee by running onto the ice and throwing punches?

Edited by fafa fohi
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Loves Puck said:

Latrobe Parent, Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

What happened in the stands was no more than a scrum in the crease. 

Play on.

Not surprised to see someone say this. Someone that doesn’t know or understand the game of hockey. 

Edited by Danner27
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Not surprised to see someone say this. Someone that doesn’t know or understand the game of hockey. 

Authorities were notified, League is taking action and I am sure the School is to.  

I was on the ice and saw things first hand. Old time Hockey! Yeah, like Eddie Shore.

8 minutes ago, Loves Puck said:

Authorities were notified, League is taking action and I am sure the School is to.  

I was on the ice and saw things first hand. Old time Hockey! Yeah, like Eddie Shore.

Those days are long gone in the pros - all the way down to major junior. 

Edited by Danner27

On 2/13/2022 at 1:10 AM, nemesis8679 said:

Who made the decision for the organization to give their own suspension? The MS coach? Varsity coach? Athletic Director? So they do that at MS level, but let Varsity do whatever they want? Sounds unorganized. 

Unorganized? Sadly, it sounds typical. Varsity players are often treated differently from MS or even JV players. It's the way the world works.

Terrible, but true. And, for the record, not good for the player to be treated specially, either. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 6:12 PM, Saucey said:

I'd be worried more about criminal charges than what PIHL would do. This stuff follows you around.

@Saucey is right on this one. You can do quite a bit on the ice in a game without criminal charges, typically - lots of things that would be subject to criminal charges off the ice are typical behavior on the ice. Once you enter the stands, though, it seems to me you don't enjoy that distinction any more. I'd think that everyone involved here on both sides should be giving their attorney a heads-up call about right now - players and parents from both sides. In the end you have a situation here where a (presumed) juvenile and an "adult" attacked another "adult", who probably is not innocent either.

I don't get why people don't see this more clearly. Instead of denigrating this post, as at least one poster has, we should be thinking about it a bit more. These people might ALL be subject to some sort of legal action. They should certainly be quickly sanctioned by their respective organizations, at the very least as a symbolic move in separating the organization from their behavior.

But we live in a region where there are a couple legendary coaches who are notorious for all sorts of bad behavior and are deeply respected and admired anyway. So there you go. Probably both organizations try to avoid taking any action against the nitwits involved, and the youth sports environment continues to spiral. As someone else has said here, ultimately and sadly this only hurts the kids.

Parents should be ashamed. Kid should be ashamed. Hockey as a community should be ashamed.  So much bad publicity with hockey lately. Lack of respect for other humans is at an all time low.  In sports and In life in general.  We as a society are in a real bad place and I only hope it gets better not worse real soon.  

Edited by rock
  • Like 1

Not to pile on to the old armstrong incident with the female goalie BUT talking about shaler with a friend still in the know - one of armstrongs better, younger players quit the varsity team after Christmas. His team gift was a dildo or vibrator. a few of the players called him a 3 letter word starting with F after receiving the gift in his bag. 

my point - this shaler incident is sad, but appears to be an idiot parent or two along with a hot head player. Armstrong just keeps on rolling along hiding issues. The armstrong principal that came on here and posted all that non sense about not tolerating such acts etc, did ya do anything about the under classman last month that quit ? NOPE! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rock said:

I received a note about the video link above and how it shows the player (and everyone else) involved in this fracas.  My take is since this was already posted publicly - and is available both on Livebarn and this Facebook video, it's in the public domain and it is what it is.

It's probably making its rounds on Youtube and Twitter by now, so there is no need in my opinion to suppress the video link here.  In fact, I think the more publicity that this incident receives, that hopefully it will serve as a deterrent for this to not happen in the future.

In today's world, everyone has to presume that everything you do will be recorded in some fashion.

The topic of this incident can certainly be discussed, but we won't discuss specific player names on this thread as per our normal policy.  

PB

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

'Having a player go into the stands was really something we never thought of....' No kidding, because who wants to ruin skates? I was wondering how that situation started. Many teams send a coach out first and have a coach take up the end, looking out to make sure both that the players don't try and mix it up at the end of the game and to prevent crowd interaction.

This will never go away for these folks. Job interviews, etc. So very, very stupid.

Edited by Saucey
Typo

1 hour ago, Saucey said:

'Having a player go into the stands was really something we never thought of....' No kidding, because who wants to ruin skates? I was wondering how that situation started. Many teams send a coach out first and have a coach take up the end, looking out to make sure both that the players don't try and mix it up at the end of the game and to prevent crowd interaction.

This will never go away for these folks. Job interviews, etc. So very, very stupid.

Spot on. You can't hide video--- not good.  Under no circumstances should a player EVER touch a fan, let alone enter the stands.  The coaches should always be the last ones off the ice and be watching their teams.  
And to go a step further, the Shaler players should have immediately grabbed their own player the moment he stepped towards the fans.

Now that I have had a chance to study the video, I know exactly where this occurred in the rink.  This is on the far side of the rink and the player locker rooms are directly below.  That is why the player had easy access to the stands.

There are no restrictions for access to the stands/locker rooms in that area.  The home team's locker rooms are directly down the stairs (slightly out of sight) in the video.  The away team's locker rooms are down another set of stairs 80 feet town the rink.  Both sets of stairs head to the same hallway under the stands.  That hallway itself is rather narrow ~6 feet tops, and always forces both teams to walk by each other before/after the game which isn't the ideal setup.

One main issue with this rink- and that has always been the case, is that the parents literally sit all over the place, and there are never any restrictions on "home team fans here, away there".  A good example of that is Nevin rink in Greensburg, where they try to allocate one side of the small stands to home and one side to away and have markings in the stands (well, at least they did as of a year or two ago), which signals this.

The fact that parents literally sit everywhere doesn't help at Alpha.

We've played mainly PAHL and non-league games there and other than people wearing your teams' colors, you have no idea who is who.  Even fans/parents from our teams would sit all over the place in that rink.  

The stairs/locker room layout there is a bit atypical of rinks in western PA.  Most rinks, players do not enter/exit through the middle of the stands like it is at Alpha.

Edited by Wes