Shaler vs Latrobe

I honestly am surprised this hasn't happened lately in the lobby after the game.  Some of these clowns call the kids names and point at them and basically call them out like they are at a Flyers game. I've seen it, I've told people to watch what they say...and I get yelled at by mom's. They actually do need a good punch in the face. There used to be repercussions stuff like that. Hopefully this will shut up you idiots who like screaming crap at high school kids playing a sport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wes said:

The 2 guys that separated the player did a nice job.  They could be linesman. 

The guy trying to separate the other 2 failed.  Once they're down, just lay on them.  They will get tired after about 10-15 seconds.

This odd thing to me - coaches are normally the last to leave the ice with the officials. Where were they ? You can see the Zamboni running in the background.  That player did not just walk up there and charge, a verbal altercation was going on of some sort before the fight. 

it’s sad in general, it appears to me a Latrobe parent was fighting with a shaler parent for whatever reason. This player decided to get involved, I’m assuming it’s his father or a family member. 

with out knowing all the facts it’s really just a sad situation that most likely could have been avoided. 

20 minutes ago, Rancho1 said:

I honestly am surprised this hasn't happened lately in the lobby after the game.  Some of these clowns call the kids names and point at them and basically call them out like they are at a Flyers game. I've seen it, I've told people to watch what they say...and I get yelled at by mom's. They actually do need a good punch in the face. There used to be repercussions stuff like that. Hopefully this will shut up you idiots who like screaming crap at high school kids playing a sport.

One thing that always bothered me - opposing parents yelling at the kids on the other team. Goto a pens game if you want to do that. These are kids. I’ve seen crazy parents scream half a game “number xx has a problem get him off the ice!!” Because their kid took a bump from number xx. 

• Like 2
  • 100 1

3 hours ago, Danner27 said:

One thing that always bothered me - opposing parents yelling at the kids on the other team. Goto a pens game if you want to do that. These are kids. I’ve seen crazy parents scream half a game “number xx has a problem get him off the ice!!” Because their kid took a bump from number xx. 

I think any parent addressing another child should be an auto ejection.  

• Like 2
  • 100 5

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2022/02/15/shaler-hockey-players-under-investigation-for-fight-in-stands/?amp

this second link has names in the report 

https://www.wtae.com/amp/article/hockey-player-shaler-enters-stands-to-fight-at-game-in-harmar/39083349

in what world did this Latrobe parent think he had the right to seek out the shaler player (minor) to comfort him after the game on his aggressive play ? The Latrobe parent admits to police that was his plan! I’m not excusing the shaler players or parents behavior. the actions of adults are going to end this players HS playing days. Let me guess 14 bumped your kid to hard ? It’s a contact sport. Reminds me of the type of parent I was speaking about earlier. I’ve seen both of my boys take dirty hits, punches & head shots when they were playing. Never once did it cross my mind to seek out an opposing player or a member of their family. 

https://www.pihlhockey.com/game/show/32368664?subseason=747106&referrer=6337948

looking at the score sheet - no crazy penalties. Shaler player had two minors, Latrobe kid who’s dad is a complete dbag had one minor. No fights in the game, no 2/10’s, no majors. 

Mr Meyers is a clown! perfect example of a parent that should not be allowed to attend games. Do something about it Latrobe! Same to the PIHL! Mr Meyers admits to the police & in the police report he wanted to confront the minor after he got off the ice. 

could the shaler parents have handled the situation better ? Probably but we don’t know what threats were made towards their son - their actions are still inexcusable.

I must apologize for an earlier post asking where the coaches were. both team’s coaches were still leaving the ice. It’s clear on these videos. 

Edited by Danner27
  • Like 2

The Latrobe fan who was punched is actually a gym teacher in the Derry school district. He has a long history of acting entitled, saying things to opposing players and just being an *** in general. This is not surprising at all. He was also the coaching coordinator and a coach at Westmoreland Eagles for years.  He would pick all of his friends kids and kids friends to be on the top team year after year. He has always thought that he was better than everyone and could do or say whatever he wanted. Why do you think Westmoreland currently has half the teams and players they have had in years past. No normal human being wants to be associated with his nonsense.

REMOVED information from this post which is not related to the incident.  -PB

Edited by Paul Baxter
Derry School District not Latrobe. PB edited content.
  • 100 1

If that's true that the Latrobe parent was threatening/ intending to confront that kid, the Shaler parent had every right to confront that guy. 

Sounds like the guy finally got the pop he's been asking for. Too bad it came at the expense of the kid's hockey playing for we'll see how long. And his skates. 

• Like 1

I have talked to several coaches and players who have played against Shaler this season. Every single one of them have said 14 on Shaler has been a problem every time they have played them. I am in NO way excusing the Latrobe parent of his participation in the incident but if you watch the entire video from the live barn camera you can see the Shaler mom and dad acting very aggressive toward the Latrobe dad way before the player comes off the ice and engages with the Latrobe dad.

After the final whistle a Shaler player (not sure if it is 14 or not) engages a Latrobe player and tries to rip his helmet off. After the Handshake line (which should have never taken place) several Latrobe and Shaler players come together over by Latrobe's bench. Most of the meetings are civil but some escalate and a Shaler player throws a punch at a Latrobe Player. 14 from Shaler seems to be talking to a Latrobe player after the game  and skates away without incident.

At the same time his mom and dad and the Latrobe dad are in a heated argument. The Shaler parents were definitely the aggressors in this incident, but no one knows what the Latrobe parent said. When 14 from Shaler exits the ice surface he immediately goes up into the stands. From one angle he is seen yelling at the Latrobe dad, unfortunately not much of that conversation is caught on audio as you can not hear what is said between the player and Latrobe parent.  At this time # 14 from Shaler charges up the stands and throws an uppercut at the Latrobe dad.

There were 3-4 other Shaler players in the stands. A bunch of those players were innocent and were just trying to break up the fight. At least one of the other players shoved another Latrobe Parent on the other side of the bleachers.

No matter how you break this down it is sad for the local hockey community. We have taken several hits this year and we need to come together and end this type of behavior and stupidity!

6 hours ago, Hattrick Swayze said:

No matter how you break this down it is sad for the local hockey community. We have taken several hits this year and we need to come together and end this type of behavior and stupidity!

This is the absolute truth in the whole situation.  You would think after the bad publicity from the Armstrong incident people would stop and think before acting stupid!

• Like 2
  • Fist Bump 1

Quick thought.

This situation and Armstrong/Mars. EVERYONE comes out of the woodwork to observe, analyze, critique and the video is picked over like the Zapruder film. Some posts are like mini novels.

On the flip side, somebody posts something positive or constructive? CRICKETS.

Tells you all you need to know about youth/HS hockey and sports in general.??‍♂️

29 minutes ago, muckerandgrinder said:

Quick thought.

This situation and Armstrong/Mars. EVERYONE comes out of the woodwork to observe, analyze, critique and the video is picked over like the Zapruder film. Some posts are like mini novels.

On the flip side, somebody posts something positive or constructive? CRICKETS.

Tells you all you need to know about youth/HS hockey and sports in general.??‍♂️

How about life in general?  And how often do we see something positive or constructive posted about?  Most people believe the internet and Forums are for complaining! We have seen a few positives like the Sam Kelly night post!  But mostly it's negative. that's life!

6 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

How about life in general?  And how often do we see something positive or constructive posted about?  Most people believe the internet and Forums are for complaining! We have seen a few positives like the Sam Kelly night post!  But mostly it's negative. that's life!

Perhaps because if it's good there is nothing to address? And also it may identify you.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Danner27 said:

in what world did this Latrobe parent think he had the right to seek out the shaler player (minor) to comfort him after the game on his aggressive play ? The Latrobe parent admits to police that was his plan! I’m not excusing the shaler players or parents behavior. the actions of adults are going to end this players HS playing days. Let me guess 14 bumped your kid to hard ? It’s a contact sport. Reminds me of the type of parent I was speaking about earlier. I’ve seen both of my boys take dirty hits, punches & head shots when they were playing. Never once did it cross my mind to seek out an opposing player or a member of their family. 

In many years of youth hockey, sure, I've been ticked off at a player or two from time to time, but I would NEVER confront the player or parents about it.  If you're unhappy about it approach your org president or the league office.  Not worth getting in a boat load of trouble.

Also can't believe it was a teacher (!) who was the center of this...

Edited by Wes
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Google “Negativity Bias”. It is a real thing

6 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

This is the absolute truth in the whole situation.  You would think after the bad publicity from the Armstrong incident people would stop and think before acting stupid!

Unfortunately, these people have thought. They think and have thought this behavior is ok. They have been acting like this for years with no repercussions. Why would they change?

• Like 1

I think everyone was wrong.  The Latrobe parent never got a chance to actually confront the kid.  Who knows if he would have actually confronted the kid since the Shaler parents put a stop to it by confronting him.   The problem is that the Shaler parents didn't exactly put a stop to it in an appropriate way. 

5 minutes ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

ok lets stop calling this kid a minor, he is not a minor according to his elite prospects profile and also IF he was a minor the news wouldn't have been able to publish his name 

Elite Prospects is wrong...he is 17 FACT and last I checked 17 year old kids are minors.   I guess you get all your facts from elite prospects and on this forum. News and person releasing video to media should be punished as well,. 

Not that many great decisions by anyone involved, but when parents/teachers start opening theirs mouths in stands about how a kid should be raised would piss off any normal parent.  More should be said about Latrobe parent, seems it was poking the bear situation? Then add in if the parent/s aren't 100% normal = punch to the head I guess?  Sounds to me like each schools had the wrong families sit next to each other. 

Also it's still a shame that adults instincts are to film a "minor" with the hopes something bad will happen.  I really hope this person was old or unable to help, otherwise WTF????  Try stopping the situation instead of letting in escalate.  People are thriving on others inadequacies and bad choices.  Looks like some inner turmoil and jealous parents as usual in school hockey.  But I guess that's what you get when AAA/AA players play with A-Minor players and the A-minor kids "got screwed, and should be AAA/AA", recipe for disaster at all schools without proper leadership and coaching to make these kids and parents coexist. 

Wonder if the news will be at the Shaler game tonight?  Or maybe the filming cowards can interview the coaches and take video?

• Epic 1