Shaler vs Latrobe

11 minutes ago, Carl Racki said:

No, the rinks that care handle it.  The ones that don't let things get ugly. Isn't there security at highschool football games?  Highschool basketball games?  Who do they hire.  I am done with the conversation.  You are impossible.  The answer is right infront of you but people have to care and hire/fire people.  Blah blah blah

All other sports are on campus. Hockey is played at a privately own business. Not the same. Also, I have no idea if every high school sport has security. I don’t believe so. I’ve never seen a security guard at a soccer game.  I could be mistaken, but I don’t believe every other sport has security.

So the answer is for the rinks to hire better security? What rinks care? Who do they hire? If someone is doing it right, that should be copied across the board. This is a problem all across PIHL/PAHL. So the change needs to come at the ice rink level?

Edited by Hockeymomma

So when everyones dues go up because every ice rink in the country has to pay for full time security guards who is going to be hurt by that?

The fact of the matter is adults can no longer act like adults at youth sporting events. It is a sad reality that we all need to either accept or start holding people accountable. Parents should be able to show up at their kids games and cheer them on, there is nothing wrong with that. The biggest issue at this point is the parents get so emotionally attached to the game that they can't help themselves from yelling at the kids playing the game whether it be players from their team or the other team. 

The kids on the team for the most part are embarrassed by their parents behavior. This is the same reason that nobody wants to referee or coach. You can remain blind to the fact that referee's are dwindling across the country in every sport or that no-one who is not a parent will coach if they are not paid. Paid coaches at the youth level are another reason why a lot of you are paying over $4,000 a year for your kids to play hockey. 

It is an easily solution to say there should be paid security at every single youth hockey game but that costs money. That money comes out of the pockets of the parents that want their kids to play hockey and enjoy playing the sport. The other issue is finding capable security guards or police to show up for 3 hours on a week night for PIHL games or a 10-12 hour day for PAHL games on Saturdays and Sundays. 

It would be much easier on everyone if people would quit being complete assholes instead of putting blame on everyone else but that is never going to happen. Lets all continue on pretending that we are not part of the issue at hand!

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Hattrick Swayze said:

So when everyones dues go up because every ice rink in the country has to pay for full time security guards who is going to be hurt by that?

The fact of the matter is adults can no longer act like adults at youth sporting events. It is a sad reality that we all need to either accept or start holding people accountable. Parents should be able to show up at their kids games and cheer them on, there is nothing wrong with that. The biggest issue at this point is the parents get so emotionally attached to the game that they can't help themselves from yelling at the kids playing the game whether it be players from their team or the other team. 

The kids on the team for the most part are embarrassed by their parents behavior. This is the same reason that nobody wants to referee or coach. You can remain blind to the fact that referee's are dwindling across the country in every sport or that no-one who is not a parent will coach if they are not paid. Paid coaches at the youth level are another reason why a lot of you are paying over $4,000 a year for your kids to play hockey. 

It is an easily solution to say there should be paid security at every single youth hockey game but that costs money. That money comes out of the pockets of the parents that want their kids to play hockey and enjoy playing the sport. The other issue is finding capable security guards or police to show up for 3 hours on a week night for PIHL games or a 10-12 hour day for PAHL games on Saturdays and Sundays. 

It would be much easier on everyone if people would quit being complete assholes instead of putting blame on everyone else but that is never going to happen. Lets all continue on pretending that we are not part of the issue at hand!

Also asking volunteers (coaches, board members, etc) to “police” the asses. They already do more than enough and shouldn’t be responsible for another adult. PAHL has the bad debt program. Maybe a similar program for parents? You act like an ass at one organization, then your not welcome at the next organization?

Yes it sucks for that 1% of kids that have asshole parents, but how many players/coaches/refs have that 1% driven out of the spot?

Edited by Hockeymomma

7 hours ago, Hockeymomma said:

So why should 15 or so parents per team pay extra to deal with 1-2 parents who came to the rink to cause trouble and act like asses? Just get rid of the asses. If those 15 or so well behaved adults lose thier privileges, maybe they won’t turn their heads when the asses act up. Maybe they won’t say “oh that’s just how he is”. It’s easy to say “it’s someone else’s fault”. When will adults finally say “that’s not right and I’m not going to tolerate it?”

That is like saying you won’t stop at a stop sign where it was recently installed because a guy a month prior barreled through the intersection and hit a pedestrian.  Using your logic, you didn’t hit the person so why should you stop?

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

That's the silliest thing I've heard all day. Who pays for these teams to play, and for the rinks to be open? It sure isn't the schools.

A better idea would be having (competent) security at the games. I'm sure the schools have no problem paying for that at their football games. 

Seems that isn’t quite the same. Security or local law enforcement usually are happy to be at the football field on Friday nights for a game. The entire community shows up.

Not to much when it is a 9:50 puck drop in January and it’s snowing. 

The point is taken, but different dynamic.

21 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

That is like saying you won’t stop at a stop sign where it was recently installed because a guy a month prior barreled through the intersection and hit a pedestrian.  Using your logic, you didn’t hit the person so why should you stop?

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say, but “my logic” would be:

if an intersection is bad enough that a pedestrian was hit and adding a stop sign was necessary, then the next month or so the police should sit at that intersection and anyone that blows that stop sign loses thier license for 30 days. Punish hard, make people think about thier actions.

Funny how the sh*thead parents always seem to have the sh*thead players on the ice. Never met a sh*thead player with a great set of parents.

Saw a mom at a squirt game screaming at another parent that she was "going to come over there and knock her teeth out" all while literally holding a toddler in her arms...

Break the cycle. Be a better example for your kids.

• Like 2
  • 100 2
  • Fist Bump 1

I think it's simple. The PIHL needs to start banning parents from games if there is a problem reported and verified.  Entire fan base should be banned. 1st offense banned for 2 games. 2nd offense banned for the season. 3rd offense the program gets a year or 2 suspension.  That should send the message and I think you would see the parents start policing themselves. Especially the ones who just want to see their kids play the game.  I know the toughest time was when we couldn't go into the rink at Mt Lebo for games because of Covid.  Wasn't a good feeling.  Watching through the windows on the hill with the other teams parents made me appreciate being in the rink to watch.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hockeymomma said:

If it’s that simple, why hasn’t it been done? What about during practices when these parents act like asses? Do you hire security for practices/24 hours a day? Who collects this $5 a game? 

This is a 24/7 problem, not just a game day problem. Why do you think most organizations can’t find anyone except a dad to coach?

Also, most security guards are old men and retirees. What do you expect them to do against men half thier age, bigger and stronger? Honestly the only thing they can do is to call the police.

Well, it's my understanding that PIHL told member programs that additional security would be required at future games at the last meeting. Prices are going to go up. Also, maybe it's just the rinks that I go to for games, but the PIHL security around my neck of the woods is usually an armed PA State Constable. They are typically not rent-a-cops in my area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hockeymomma said:

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say, but “my logic” would be:

if an intersection is bad enough that a pedestrian was hit and adding a stop sign was necessary, then the next month or so the police should sit at that intersection and anyone that blows that stop sign loses thier license for 30 days. Punish hard, make people think about thier actions.

You said, and I quote - "So why should 15 or so parents per team pay extra to deal with 1-2 parents who came to the rink to cause trouble and act like asses? Just get rid of the asses."

We march to the speed of those that F things up for everyone else.  

For years in the state of Montana, they didn't have speed limits on certain highways, and all it took was some morons thinking they could drive 115 and all would be OK.  However after horrific accidents and deaths on the highways due to excessive speed, now there are speed limits for EVERYONE to abide by.

18 hours ago, Hockeymomma said:

What these rinks need to do is not allow spectators. Treat it like school. You drop your kids off and let the coach be the coach, let the kids be kids. If you have to watch, watch on live barn. The non players have highjacked the sport and need to go. 

never happen how do you think pihl makes their money off of fans at games and the home team gets a percentage of that money as well 

• Like 1

I've been saying for years that refs are increasingly loosing control of games and spectators.. no one wants to ref cause parents are AH's, well then maybe the refs should just start tossing everyone out that starts causing any issue immediately.. Zero tolerance... if you yelling negativities your out, 1st time they hear it. after AH parent gets tossed 4 games in row maybe they will keep there mouth shut.. 

I'm not blaming the refs but they ultimately have the power to stop the game and toss the parents. 

I 100 percent agree adults need to set a better example, it starts in the stands with the parents period.. If you cant handle a competitive, aggressive sport don't come watch. IDK.. It take 2 AH's to start a fight, maybe be the better person and ignore the 1st AH.. you wanna stop it? IGNORE THE AH, DONT BE ONE TOO! 

I don't have the answer, seems common place for everyone to just want to fight, everyone is so entitled these days they think they cant treat others like crap. total lack of respect for others has gotten out of hand.

someone said about AH kids always have AH parents, it starts at home.. kids act like there parents. def some truth to this, they are a product of their everyday life. hard to blame the kids when adults act like kids.. that said this kid should have never let this emotion go from ice to stands. that just cant happen. 

it starts with adults being better people period, at home at games at life.. 

we have gotten so soft as a society that everyone is so fed up and pissed off we wanna fight instead of fix the issues.. cant scold little johnny for doing something wrong we might hurt his feelings so we will let him do whatever he wants and if you don't like it we will fight.. its exhausting.. 

BE BETTER 

Edited by Paul Baxter
fixed grammer. replaced numerous curse words.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, rock said:

I've been saying for years that refs are increasingly loosing control of games and spectators.. no one wants to ref cause parents are AH's, well then maybe the refs should just start tossing everyone out that starts causing any issue immediately.. Zero tolerance... if you yelling negativities your out, 1st time they hear it. after AH parent gets tossed 4 games in row maybe they will keep there mouth shut.. 

This is the LAST time "ROCK" is going to post here with this total lack of respect for the forum rules.  I cleaned up this post, and that's my last time for "ROCK".  Learn how to make posts without using spicy adjectives or don't post here at all.

PB

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rock said:

Ive been saying for years that refs are increasingly loosing control of games and spectators.. no one wants to ref cause parents are assholes, well then maybe the refs should just start tossing everyone out that starts causing any issue immediately.. Zero tolerance..if you yelling negativities your out, 1st time they hear it. after asshole parent gets tossed 4 games in row maybe they will keep there mouth shut.. 

Im not blaming the refs but they ultimately have the power to stop the game and toss the parents. 

I 100 percent agree adults need to set a better example, it starts in the stands with the parents period.. If you cant handle a competitive, aggressive sport dont come watch. IDK.. It take 2 assholes to start a fight, maybe be the better person and ignore the 1st asshole.. you wanna stop it? IGNORE THE ASSHOLE, DONT BE ONE TOO! 

I dont have the answer, seems common place for everyone to just want to fight, everyone is so entitled these days they think they cant treat others like shit. total lack of respect for others has gotten out of hand.

someone said about asshole kids always have asshole parents, it starts at home.. kids act like there parents. def some truth to this, they are a product of their everyday life. hard to blame the kids when adults act like kids.. that said this kid should have never let this emotion go from ice to stands. that just cant happen. 

it starts with adults being better people period, at home at games at life.. 

we have gotten so soft as a society that everyone is so fed up and pissed off we wanna fight instead of fix the issues.. cant scold little johnny for doing something wrong we might hurt his feelings so we will let him do whatever he wants and if you dont like it we will fight.. its exhausting.. 

BE BETTER 

If paid security guards won't toss fans, why would a referee want to do that? I was at a game a few years ago at the RMU Island Sports Center where there was a fight in the stands. The security at that game, an RMU police officer, refused to break up the fight. Instead, he called the Neville Township police department to come and take care of the situation. When I asked him why he did not want to get involved, his response was "I will not risk my badge over a high school hockey game."

There are some good ones such as the Allegheny County sheriffs who work at Ice Castle and the security at Southpointe. The majority of the security guards at the games are nothing more than spectators who get paid to watch the game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mysonisagoalie said:

If paid security guards won't toss fans, why would a referee want to do that? I was at a game a few years ago at the RMU Island Sports Center where there was a fight in the stands. The security at that game, an RMU police officer, refused to break up the fight. Instead, he called the Neville Township police department to come and take care of the situation. When I asked him why he did not want to get involved, his response was "I will not risk my badge over a high school hockey game."

There are some good ones such as the Allegheny County sheriffs who work at Ice Castle and the security at Southpointe. The majority of the security guards at the games are nothing more than spectators who get paid to watch the game.

good question, at least the ref is separated from the fan on the ice.. he has more protection at the moment in the middle of the situation without it becoming physical interaction like with a security guard.. once tossed it gives the fan time to cool off and realize he was an idiot.. most times this will elevate any situation that could go way worse.. IMO 

your point is valid about losing his job at a high school event. Police cant even apprehend criminals anymore cause they fear loosing there jobs.. again all part of society becoming soft.. everyone is just entitled to act however they want with zero repercussion.. its only getting worse. 

again, ITS STARTS WITH BEING A BETTER PERSON 

thats the only REAL solution.. 

22 minutes ago, Paul Baxter said:

This is the LAST time "ROCK" is going to post here with this total lack of respect for the forum rules.  I cleaned up this post, and that's my last time for "ROCK".  Learn how to make posts without using spicy adjectives or don't post here at all.

PB

my bad. sorry, ill be better, take my own advise.   lol 

• Like 2

On 2/15/2022 at 7:57 PM, Hockeymomma said:

The Latrobe fan who was punched is actually a gym teacher in the Derry school district....

You have no idea what you’re talking about and this post is nothing more than self serving gossip.

The news report and the police report are missing facts and most of what you’re talking about has nothing to do with what really happened. Also the news didn’t show the full video.

Mr. Myers was not “looking “ for number 14 after the game. He simply told the person next to him “let’s see what number 14 does in the handshake line after the game” because he was playing a little dirty.

The Shaler parents overheard part of his statement and started assaulting him. Then they told the police what they thought they heard him say.

Instead of owning the fact that their kid plays the game in an unsportsmanlike like way and taking action to be a better hockey parents they chose to enable his actions and assault other hockey parents. The kid is clearly a product of his environment.

Get your facts straight before you start gossiping about people and other hockey organizations because it’s damaging to kids, families and other hockey organizations.

What we should all do as hockey parents is go back to your own organizations board and learn from this and work with your board to prevent situations like this. There is no one solution and it starts with your own personal accountability and the accountability of your players.

We shouldn’t hide behind some fabricated user name and throw rocks from an ivory tower about others. It sets a terrible example and like I said it’s damaging.

These posts get around outside of this forum if you haven’t noticed.

Edited by Paul Baxter
Original post snipped.

1 hour ago, Hockey Dad said:

We shouldn’t hide behind some fabricated user name and throw rocks from an ivory tower about others. It sets a terrible example and like I said it’s damaging.

Ok, 'hockey dad'. ? 

There is always more than one side to a story. And quite frankly, if anyone with any sort of real knowledge about this incident was smart, which we know not to be true based on the video, they wouldn't post anything anywhere about this. Because...police. And criminal charges.

People gossip. It's what they do. This was a horrible scene, and people are going to talk about it. We need to talk about it because the scene keeps happening every weekend all over. 

If anyone takes anything posted here as gospel, because, as you point out, the obvious issues with posting anonymously, then they, too, aren't that smart.

On 2/20/2022 at 9:02 AM, Hockey Dad said:

You have no idea what you’re talking about and this post is nothing more than self serving gossip.

The news report and the police report are missing facts and most of what you’re talking about has nothing to do with what really happened. Also the news didn’t show the full video.

Mr. Myers was not “looking “ for number 14 after the game. He simply told the person next to him “let’s see what number 14 does in the handshake line after the game” because he was playing a little dirty.

The Shaler parents overheard part of his statement and started assaulting him. Then they told the police what they thought they heard him say.

Instead of owning the fact that their kid plays the game in an unsportsmanlike like way and taking action to be a better hockey parents they chose to enable his actions and assault other hockey parents. The kid is clearly a product of his environment.

Get your facts straight before you start gossiping about people and other hockey organizations because it’s damaging to kids, families and other hockey organizations.

What we should all do as hockey parents is go back to your own organizations board and learn from this and work with your board to prevent situations like this. There is no one solution and it starts with your own personal accountability and the accountability of your players.

These posts get around outside of this forum if you haven’t noticed.

Hockey Dad is right.  The news report was inaccurate and Mr. Myers did not instigate this.  The Shaler parents and player assaulted him.   As a hockey volunteer, Mr Myers has helped many kids over the last 20+ years and has had a very positive impact on our hockey community.