Local teams playing in out of state leagues

All PPE teams playing in the NE Pack now (not just 14U-18U)

Esmark playing in the new Black Bear Tier 1 league

Allegheny and SP girls playing in the new Black Bear AGHF girls league

Also heard strong rumors of Preds teams playing in a league based out of Rochester

10 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Is that good or bad?  Guaranteed partial schedule. I expected Black Bear to make a bigger push for their own leagues (Tier 2) as they now have so many rinks.  Would make sense for them to fill them up with as many games and practices as they can.

It's probably both. Since almost no organizations in the Pittsburgh area take girls hockey seriously, and PAHL definitely doesn't, it's probably good for the girls teams in the city that do take it seriously. Hard to know how it will affect coed hockey, but honestly a little competition for PAHL seems positive. The only worry I have is the possibility that having competing leagues in the city will make both of them worse by diluting talent.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lifelongbender said:

The only worry I have is the possibility that having competing leagues in the city will make both of them worse by diluting talent.

This is my concern as well, however if PAHL organizations offer a double schedule to their teams that are interested it may not be a bad thing or dilute what we have here already. I could see this trend being very popular to teams with families that want the extra games and different competition. Play your PAHL schedule plus your AHF schedule. 

• Like 1

Teams have been doing this for years with the EJEPL, which has allowed teams to play their DVHL schedule and also an approximate 20 game EJEPL schedule.  Some of those teams have left EJEPL and are now part of the AHF (Black Bear).  I could see some of the "AA" PAHL teams leaving PAHL for a something similar as this and then supplementing with an independent schedule.  It would allow there to be 20 or so games already scheduled and then independently schedule however many additional games the team decides to offer.  The question that should be asked, in my opinion, is what league will offer the best competition, because if you are going to travel to NJ, Philly, or Virginia for league games, the level of competition would need to be higher from top to bottom than what teams are getting currently with PAHL.

1 hour ago, forbin said:

All PPE teams playing in the NE Pack now (not just 14U-18U)

Esmark playing in the new Black Bear Tier 1 league

Allegheny and SP girls playing in the new Black Bear AGHF girls league

Also heard strong rumors of Preds teams playing in a league based out of Rochester

I’m sure Esmark didn’t want to leave the naphl - all those bullshit, leading to nothing NAHL tenders every year are huge selling (the dream) points! My guess, their new landlord said join our league or get out of our building. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Will Esmark have to leave the naphl?  Or just play in both leagues?  Have you been involved with NAHL tenders?  I would think some have panned out?

3 out of the last 50 or so, It’s all bullshit. Majority end up in the na3 to fund the nahl - It’s like a pyramid scam. 

• Like 1

Junior hockey in the USA has 3 tiers of skill level.  To use a convention from the Olympics:

Tier I = Gold level.  Kids in this league are probably going to play NCAA D-I college and have the best chance at a professional career.  There is one USA Hockey sanctioned league at this level called the USHL.

Tier II = Silver level.  Kids at this level have a chance to play NCAA D-I college hockey, and several will opt for NCAA D-III.  There is one USA Hockey sanctioned league at this level called the NAHL.

Tier III = Bronze level.  Kids in these leagues are likely to fill out remaining spots on NCAA D-III teams, but most will wind up on ACHA club teams if they continue to play college hockey.  There are many leagues at this level.

The main difference: Tier I and Tier II are generally free to play, meaning your assigned team covers cost of ice, game expenses, some equipment, etc.  Tier II does not fully cover all the expenses but the bigger costs are covered.  Tier III leagues and teams are are "pay to play", meaning that the players on the team are charged a fee to be on the team.  Each player typically sign a contract to commit to the team for the season.  The average cost (fee) to play Tier III hockey is $10-11k plus any living expenses racked up along the way.  

There are multiple Tier III leagues in the USA.  The NA3HL is a USA Hockey sanctioned Tier III league.  The USPHL is a Tier III league, non-sanctioned (by USAH), but it is a growing alternative to NA3HL.  The Pittsburgh Vengeance plays in the USPHL.  A few years ago, to compete for talent and offer a path upward, the USPHL formed a "free to play" league called the NCDC.  This league supposedly competes with the Tier II NAHL but I think right now the NAHL is outproducing on NCAA D-I players.  

Then there is Canada, which also as a multiple tiered hierarchy of skill.  The Canadian system warrants its own post for sure.  The Tier II path in Canada can also lead to US college opportunities, and an argument could be made that some Canadian Tier II leagues are better than the NAHL for college development.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack Handey said:

Junior hockey in the USA has 3 tiers of skill level.  To use a convention from the Olympics:

Tier I = Gold level.  Kids in this league are probably going to play NCAA D-I college and have the best chance at a professional career.  There is one USA Hockey sanctioned league at this level called the USHL.

Tier II = Silver level.  Kids at this level have a chance to play NCAA D-I college hockey, and several will opt for NCAA D-III.  There is one USA Hockey sanctioned league at this level called the NAHL.

Tier III = Bronze level.  Kids in these leagues are likely to fill out remaining spots on NCAA D-III teams, but most will wind up on ACHA club teams if they continue to play college hockey.  There are many leagues at this level.

The main difference: Tier I and Tier II are generally free to play, meaning your assigned team covers cost of ice, game expenses, some equipment, etc.  Tier II does not fully cover all the expenses but the bigger costs are covered.  Tier III leagues and teams are are "pay to play", meaning that the players on the team are charged a fee to be on the team.  Each player typically sign a contract to commit to the team for the season.  The average cost (fee) to play Tier III hockey is $10-11k plus any living expenses racked up along the way.  

There are multiple Tier III leagues in the USA.  The NA3HL is a USA Hockey sanctioned Tier III league.  The USPHL is a Tier III league, non-sanctioned (by USAH), but it is a growing alternative to NA3HL.  The Pittsburgh Vengeance plays in the USPHL.  A few years ago, to compete for talent and offer a path upward, the USPHL formed a "free to play" league called the NCDC.  This league supposedly competes with the Tier II NAHL but I think right now the NAHL is outproducing on NCAA D-I players.  

Then there is Canada, which also as a multiple tiered hierarchy of skill.  The Canadian system warrants its own post for sure.  The Tier II path in Canada can also lead to US college opportunities, and an argument could be made that some Canadian Tier II leagues are better than the NAHL for college development.

Where does WHL fit in? And in Canada, is only tier 1 capable of rendering players ineligible for ncaa? 

6 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

Where does WHL fit in? And in Canada, is only tier 1 capable of rendering players ineligible for ncaa? 

WHL, OHL, and QMJHL are Major Junior A. Those players are generally not eligible for NCAA with only a few exceptions. Canada has numerous Jr A leagues that are a step below Major Jr A but are comparable to the USHL. BCHL and OJHL (or whatever the former OPJHL is called) are some examples. If you look at NCAA rosters, you'll see plenty of players from the Canadian Jr A ranks. 

• Like 2

Honestly really happy with the turn this thread took as I think a lot of people have no idea how "junior hockey" works.

I'm in the camp that doesn't have a problem with the Tier 3 pay to play leagues if that what works for the player and family. 

21 hours ago, Danner27 said:

3 out of the last 50 or so, It’s all bullshit. Majority end up in the na3 to fund the nahl - It’s like a pyramid scam. 

How does the nahl get funded by na3?  Are there teams from both leagues in the same city? Same ownership? Is na3 like a minor league to nahl?  Just trying to figure it all out before it might become an issue.

14 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

How does the nahl get funded by na3?  Are there teams from both leagues in the same city? Same ownership? Is na3 like a minor league to nahl?  Just trying to figure it all out before it might become an issue.

You can read the link below, but basically it's all under one umbrella, so yes, same organization if not same owner. NA3HL is pay-to-play, but as mentioned, it is almost certainly the case that some of those fees help fund the top level. That isn't just true of the NAHL/NA3HL, I'm sure you can find many local amateur organizations that work that way as well (i.e. the lower teams help fund the top teams). That being said, some players do get exposure in the NA3HL and do move up. However, I kind of think that is just common enough to give people hope that it could happen to them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_3_Hockey_League

• Like 1