Allegheny Badgers 2022-23

17 hours ago, stickboy said:

Where is MidAm to help stop this Tier 2 Independent nonsense?!  Real simple, make Tier 2 independent teams not eligible for Districts and Nationals. If you want to be on your own island, then stay there.  If you want to be NB, then play in the league your affliate is part of to qualify!  Or better yet, grow some balls, go AAA and find the better competition you are looking for. Quit trying to make a special place for you to fit in and feel good!

I think on the surface this approach would be a good place to start but after giving it some thought realized that something like this would make the Ohio split-season teams ineligible. Ohio hockey has a rule that players are not allowed to play HS hockey and amateur hockey at the same time which is why that system works there. Ohio HS is not under USA hockey but under the Federation Hockey umbrella.

3 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

I think on the surface this approach would be a good place to start but after giving it some thought realized that something like this would make the Ohio split-season teams ineligible. Ohio hockey has a rule that players are not allowed to play HS hockey and amateur hockey at the same time which is why that system works there. Ohio HS is not under USA hockey but under the Federation Hockey umbrella.

Ok, is there a tweak possibly?  Haven’t thought it through but maybe a qualification group for split-season and independent teams in the District.  I just don’t like that the WPA independent teams leave their league because they are too good, but then basically comeback to play that inferior competition just to qualify for nationals. 

51 minutes ago, 27adams said:

Predators going triple A next season.  Any thoughts??

I am assuming this is sarcasm.  If you look at the scores for the 14u AA Mid ams you will see as I have stated the games are competitive.  There are 8 teams.  North Pitt is really struggling but the rest of the teams have played competitive games.  The Badgers have won their two games by 1 goal and two goals.  7 of the 8 teams have played competitive.  I guess those 7 should all also go independent?????  Please note that last sentence is sarcasm.

1 hour ago, Murray Chadwick said:

So, 2007 AAA next season:

PPE, Esmark, Vengeance, SHAHA, and Predators 

??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Nope you forgot Icemen and Badgers.  Might as well through in Foxes and Huskies as well!! 

Realistically it is PPE and barely Esmark.  My opinion if you are not in the top 30-40 you are not a REAL AAA team.  You may have several AAA players but not the depth.

Ps U14 Mid Am:.  SHAHA beat Foxes 5-4, Badgers beat Huskies 3-2.  Badgers and SHAHA for the Championship.  Again, all games pretty much one or two goal games and not sure how many empty net goals are in there as well.  Those 8 teams would make a great U16 AA minor league next year minus NP and add a team but hey,  I guess they should all just go independent and travel the country to find good competition with fuel at $5.00 a gallon. Plus never play each other.

• Fist Bump 1

19 hours ago, Carl Racki said:

Nope you forgot Icemen and Badgers.  Might as well through in Foxes and Huskies as well!! 

Realistically it is PPE and barely Esmark.  My opinion if you are not in the top 30-40 you are not a REAL AAA team.  You may have several AAA players but not the depth.

Ps U14 Mid Am:.  SHAHA beat Foxes 5-4, Badgers beat Huskies 3-2.  Badgers and SHAHA for the Championship.  Again, all games pretty much one or two goal games and not sure how many empty net goals are in there as well.  Those 8 teams would make a great U16 AA minor league next year minus NP and add a team but hey,  I guess they should all just go independent and travel the country to find good competition with fuel at $5.00 a gallon. Plus never play each other.

There isn't a 16U AA Minor. 

1 hour ago, twoboys said:

There isn't a 16U AA Minor. 

No there is just AA and then A major black like 12u and 10u.  That is probably why everyone leaves.  One less "A".  Maybe if they did a AA minor like 14u it would help.   Again look at the 14u Mid Am scores.  As predicted all the games were competitive and close with the exception of North Pittsburgh.  That is 7 of 8 teams played each other very competitively. In the Badger's 4 games the largest goal diff was 2.  It would be a GREAT division but there just aren't enough A's. 

So instead of having a very competitive league you will have Icemen, SHAHA, Badgers, and Preds all independent. They will travel all over wasting fuel and paying for hotels.  The good news is they will be able to tell everyone their kid plays AAA hockey.  The madness continues and you get dragged in because it becomes your only option.

On 3/4/2022 at 12:59 PM, RegDunlop7 said:

You're missing the point. There's no reason that the top Pittsburgh-area Tier II teams can't play in a competitive PAHL division (20 games) then use the remaining 20-30 games on their schedules to travel for tournaments/non-league games.

In theory that is the best way to do it, I know that 2009 SHAHA did that exact thing this season (I know it is only Pee Wee, but it's a good example).  I'm friends with a parent on that team and from what I've been told, the issue comes when scheduling the extra 20-30 games.  The "AAA" teams ranked in the 50-100 range won't schedule a team with the "AA" next to it because it destroys their ranking if they were to lose or tie.  So the "AA" team ranked in the 120-150 range doesn't get a chance to challenge themselves against better teams without having the "AAA" next to the name.  I'm sure that sounds crazy, and it is, but that's the way that clump of teams schedule, in order to keep the "AAA" moniker alive.

Implementing AA Minor PAHL divisions at 12U and 16U would help the issue of better BY teams at the bigger clubs going fully independent/AAA.

• BY teams make it easier to schedule independent games for good teams
  • Parents seem to gravitate towards BY teams
  • AA Minor division will let the better BY teams in their minor year stay AA, stay in PAHL, and schedule an aggressive independent schedule on the side

Not saying BY teams are good or bad. Not saying AA Minor divisions are good or bad. Just saying this would keep more of the good teams in PAHL.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Corsi said:

In theory that is the best way to do it, I know that 2009 SHAHA did that exact thing this season (I know it is only Pee Wee, but it's a good example).  I'm friends with a parent on that team and from what I've been told, the issue comes when scheduling the extra 20-30 games.  The "AAA" teams ranked in the 50-100 range won't schedule a team with the "AA" next to it because it destroys their ranking if they were to lose or tie.  So the "AA" team ranked in the 120-150 range doesn't get a chance to challenge themselves against better teams without having the "AAA" next to the name.  I'm sure that sounds crazy, and it is, but that's the way that clump of teams schedule, in order to keep the "AAA" moniker alive.

I think part of this is true. The "AAA" does make it a bit easier to schedule those independent games, but the letters have nothing to do with the rankings. How these letters are used varies all over the country and the MHR formula has nothing to do with the letters. The SHAHA 09 team is very good and they had plenty of games against AAA teams from other regions this year. They had some success against them.

Edited by RJUSHL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RJUSHL said:

I think part of this is true. The "AAA" does make it a bit easier to schedule those independent games, but the letters have nothing to do with the rankings. How these letters are used varies all over the country and the MHR formula has nothing to do with the letters. The SHAHA 09 team is very good and they had plenty of games against AAA teams from other regions this year. They had some success against them.

Exactly.  It isn't the third A but rather the low rating that prevents teams from scheduling with you.  The thing is to get good games as an independent you actually have to travel.  You probably have to have 4-5 tournaments most which are away and 10 independent games half of which are away.  Most likely going to Cleveland isn't enough.  And it doesn't exactly look like SHAHA made it easy for the 09 team since they had to buy ice at Rostraver at times.       

• Like 1

The biggest confusion to me on the AAA is losing a shot at MidAms.  If you have a good AA team you have as good a shot as anyone to win them.  You jump on that AAA bandwagon not only do you struggle to find opponents but you chances to even get to MidAms plummets.  The kids I know who didn't jump to that lower AAA stayed for two reasons.  1. The travel and commitment with little chance to get seen 2. MidAms

• Like 1
  • 100 1

9 minutes ago, Novos51 said:

The biggest confusion to me on the AAA is losing a shot at MidAms.  If you have a good AA team you have as good a shot as anyone to win them.  You jump on that AAA bandwagon not only do you struggle to find opponents but you chances to even get to MidAms plummets.  The kids I know who didn't jump to that lower AAA stayed for two reasons.  1. The travel and commitment with little chance to get seen 2. MidAms

This is a good point. Not having an end of season playoff and not getting to go to Nationals....how boring to only compete for a my hockey ranking.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, twoboys said:

And it doesn't exactly look like SHAHA made it easy for the 09 team since they had to buy ice at Rostraver at times. 

I reached out to my friend about this.  It has nothing to do with the SHAHA organization not making it easy to schedule the independent games, it was that the ice time was already accounted for by other teams in the organization having PAHL games scheduled, which took precedence to the independent games.  He did mention that the organization and the scheduler have been very supportive, but this was an issue with other teams within the organization's regular season game schedule being a higher priority.

9 minutes ago, Saucey said:

This is a good point. Not having an end of season playoff and not getting to go to Nationals....how boring to only compete for a my hockey ranking.

And that is the problem.  Teams are TOO WORRIED ABOUT RANKINGS AND A's.   The Myhockeyranking are useful but they also really hurt the sport.  We do need them to make scheduling better.  I just wish people would just play local good competition rather than worry about their stupid ranking.  Look at the 07 ICEMEN.  Didn't and wouldn't play a PAHL AA team all year.  They went 1-2 in Mid Am AA.  They flew to Texas and Minnesota instead of playing great local competition they would have probably lost too.  Look at the AAA 2007 Vengeance.  They didn't even play in the AAA Mid Ams as they wouldn't have won the AA Mid Ams.  So what did they play for this year?  Yes fun but no playoffs or nationals.

10 minutes ago, Corsi said:

I reached out to my friend about this.  It has nothing to do with the SHAHA organization not making it easy to schedule the independent games, it was that the ice time was already accounted for by other teams in the organization having PAHL games scheduled, which took precedence to the independent games.  He did mention that the organization and the scheduler have been very supportive, but this was an issue with other teams within the organization's regular season game schedule being a higher priority.

Plus SHAHA only has one sheet of ice.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Corsi said:

Apparently that team is going "AAA" next year as well.  Seems questionable to me to make that jump the first year of checking. 

14 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

Apparently that team is going "AAA" next year as well.  Seems questionable to me to make that jump the first year of checking. 

Not sure how it's "questionable", all the 2009 teams are going to be playing their 1st year of checking, regardless of "AAA", "AA", "A", or "B"... so its equal footing for everyone from that perspective.  

30 minutes ago, Corsi said:

Not sure how it's "questionable", all the 2009 teams are going to be playing their 1st year of checking, regardless of "AAA", "AA", "A", or "B"... so its equal footing for everyone from that perspective.  

For me it's how much the game changes. You could be winning PAHL this year and next year when the game changes suddenly your team is no where near as good as it was due to the change.  If I was a parent on that team I think I'd wait at least one more year before traveling around the country.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2022 at 9:16 AM, Corsi said:

your kid plays there so yes you are going to say that 

now to see how many people from Pittsburgh willl drive out to Delmont for badgers 06 and 07 for the open skates. Tryouts will be interesting this year for sure