District Playoffs 2022

That was a gutsy call by the referee in OT. It was the right call but kudos to whoever it was to have the backbone to do it because we all know the NHL guys would never do it. That kid was just medically cleared from injury on Friday and notched two GWG's this weekend including that one. Something surely he'll never forget.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

That was a gutsy call by the referee in OT. It was the right call but kudos to whoever it was to have the backbone to do it because we all know the NHL guys would never do it.

Does anyone have video of the penalty and/or penalty shot?

Some Deep Thoughts from the weekend results.

- Cheers to the Pittsburgh kids who won banners while wearing a jersey from another city.  That's sad but maybe an indication that the development model in Cranberry needs a tweaking.

- In Tier II at 18u, the best two teams both stumbled.  Will Mid-Am make a case to get at least one at large bid?

- Who would win in a game between the SCIR 05s and the NP 06s ?  That would be a good game.

- Who would win, truly, in a game between Preds 304 and Preds 18u AAA ?  That too would be a close one.

- Allegheny 07s congrats on your win but your results 3-1, 3-2, 3-2, and 3-0 are underwhelming.  Come back to earth.  PAHL will save you a seat in 16u AA next year.

• Like 1
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Dislike 2

7 minutes ago, Jack Handey said:

- Allegheny 07s congrats on your win but your results 3-1, 3-2, 3-2, and 3-0 are underwhelming.  Come back to earth.  PAHL will save you a seat in 16u AA next year.

Last year this team was criticized because they won too big, now only a goal or two isn't good enough???  what do you want???  No mention of SHAHA going independent and LOSING the game though....

1 hour ago, 27adams said:

Last year this team was criticized because they won too big, now only a goal or two isn't good enough???  what do you want???  No mention of SHAHA going independent and LOSING the game though....

so the team is getting worse but still wants to be independent?  <eyeroll>.  SHAHA can come back to PAHL too.  You all proved yourselves worthy this weekend.

• Fist Bump 1

3 hours ago, Jack Handey said:

so the team is getting worse but still wants to be independent?  <eyeroll>.  SHAHA can come back to PAHL too.  You all proved yourselves worthy this weekend.

Team wins a State Championship, but yet, they are getting worse?  Your kid or someone you know musta got cut by them.    

Team wins a State Championship, but yet, they are getting worse?  Your kid or someone you know musta got cut by them.    

Maybe the Badgers didn't get worse.  Maybe everyone else caught up.  That is the point we have been trying to make.  I said it before mid ams even started that it would be good close competition in the U14 division. Surprise,  I was right.   No need for ANY of those teams to go independent.  The only team that got smoked and couldn't complete was the 14u NP team.  7 of the 8 were VERY competitive and SHAHA, Preds, Huskies, and Foxes all had a great chance to win and possibly would if they replayed the tournament. Then if you add the fake AAA 07 Vengeance to that group you would have a SUPER competitive PAHL AA division.  8 really close and solid teams.  20 solid local games.  Then do 4-5 low AAA , high AA tournaments.  27adams must coach the Badgers if he can't see that.  Yes, I will say last year the Badgers dominated.  Not any more obviously. Good team but they are all very close.  Chase the AAA.

I know I need to shut up.  I can only explain it so many times.  People will never get it apparently. Sorry

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Carl Racki said:

Maybe the Badgers didn't get worse.  Maybe everyone else caught up.  That is the point we have been trying to make.  I said it before mid ams even started that it would be good close competition in the U14 division. Surprise,  I was right.   No need for ANY of those teams to go independent.  The only team that got smoked and couldn't complete was the 14u NP team.  7 of the 8 were VERY competitive and SHAHA, Preds, Huskies, and Foxes all had a great chance to win and possibly would if they replayed the tournament. Then if you add the fake AAA 07 Vengeance to that group you would have a SUPER competitive PAHL AA division.  8 really close and solid teams.  20 solid local games.  Then do 4-5 low AAA , high AA tournaments.  27adams must coach the Badgers if he can't see that.  Yes, I will say last year the Badgers dominated.  Not any more obviously. Good team but they are all very close.  Chase the AAA.

I know I need to shut up.  I can only explain it so many times.  People will never get it apparently. Sorry

Carl, I get what you are saying, and I agree that would be a very competitive division.  The issue at hand is AHA is consistently called out for their decisions while other orgs skate by (pun intended) on theirs.  Didn't AHA stay in PAHL?  Now you have more teams leaving, is AHA supposed to stay to spite them?  And no, I am not the coach, but I wish I was apart of the team there.  Seems like they are doing it right.  I just don't know how anyone can say they took a step back with closer games.  it was playoffs.  always tighter games.  shots were 2 to 1 in favor of AHA and there was great goaltending and defense, as expected in these types of games. The AHA 06 team lost 2-1 in a shootout, did they take a step back too?  I don't think so.   I guess when you're at the top, you become the target.  Good luck to them at Nationals!

I don't understand the criticism of Allegheny, either. They've done nothing but get better. Good, solid hockey with a lot of puck movement. I remember hating to play this program because they were goons and the parents were awful....now it's because they are good.  I get the criticism for AAA, but do we know if the offering is by choice? Either Blackbear told them to or because Blackbear is having a AAA option there is worry some of these players will go there. There are now so many of these teams I think every program is going to have to offer one to keep up, like it or not.. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The parents are winning. More expensive AA hockey, here we come.

The real test is going up to Nationals. It's not too often the Western Pa teams have a good showing.

Carl, I get what you are saying, and I agree that would be a very competitive division.  The issue at hand is AHA is consistently called out for their decisions while other orgs skate by (pun intended) on theirs.  Didn't AHA stay in PAHL?  Now you have more teams leaving, is AHA supposed to stay to spite them?  And no, I am not the coach, but I wish I was apart of the team there.  Seems like they are doing it right.  I just don't know how anyone can say they took a step back with closer games.  it was playoffs.  always tighter games.  shots were 2 to 1 in favor of AHA and there was great goaltending and defense, as expected in these types of games. The AHA 06 team lost 2-1 in a shootout, did they take a step back too?  I don't think so.   I guess when you're at the top, you become the target.  Good luck to them at Nationals!

I am not just calling the Badgers out, I am calling out ALL the independent teams out.  It is what ruins local hockey.  It just runs the price up even further and keeps athletes out.  There is no reason.  I am calling out the 07 SHAHA, Icemen, Vengeance, and yes the Preds and Allegheny if they all are independent next year.  THAT'S 5 TEAMS!!!  I am calling them ALL delusional AA teams that aren't intelligent enough to just form a great league with the top 8 teams in the area. I have been calling them ALL out the entire thread.  All good teams and good competition for each other.  Stop the madness. Don't make the excuses like  "everyone else is".  At least admit "boy this is stupid."

Sounds like the 2009 AA SHAHA team now wants to be AAA independent as well. Again it's a joke.  Yes they are a great team, yes they have a few AAA players but not a team full.  6 of their 13 games have been within 3 goals this season in PAHL AA.  Teams will catch up.  If you are not in the top 30-40 you are not a AAA team.  Again you may have several AAA players but not the depth.  Trust me I have been involved in the game for over 30 years.  This is how teams recruit and sales pitch uneducated parents.  Sorry, just trying to help educate them.  It usually goes in one ear and out the other.

2010 group is the same ALREADY they have several independent "AAA" teams that left PAHL.  It's laughable.   Just keeps getting worse and worse.  The 2010 Aviators tried playing up in PAHL Pee Wee AA.  Got smoked and should have just played A major black.  The only teams I have seen do that successfully were the true AAA teams that were in the top 30 for their birth year.  That would have been the younger Vengeance teams.

1 hour ago, Saucey said:

I don't understand the criticism of Allegheny, either.

I apologize and need to make something right. 

Earlier I suggested that the team will play most of its games in Detroit and Buffalo. 

I am mistaken. 

When you sign up for Black Bear, you will play most of your games in New Jersey.

https://tier1hockeyfederation.com/usphl-collab/

You should probably get an EZ Pass @27adams , you're about to get to know the PA turnpike very well!

• ROTF 1

On 3/7/2022 at 3:40 PM, Jack Handey said:

Who would win, truly, in a game between Preds 304 and Preds 18u AAA ?  That too would be a close one.

Looking at year’s past - the predators “AAA” teams have never been better than the top Pahl AA teams. more comparable to the middle Pahl AA teams. I suspect this year is no different after looking at the scores and rankings.

The 18U “AAA” team finished second to last In the the district while losing to the icemen who are dead last in the district. both these teams season’s were over after their first weekend of play. 

Edited by Danner27
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Handey said:

You should probably get an EZ Pass @27adams , you're about to get to know the PA turnpike very well!

I've stated previously that I have no horse in the race here.  But thanks. 

3 hours ago, Jack Handey said:

I apologize and need to make something right. 

Earlier I suggested that the team will play most of its games in Detroit and Buffalo. 

I am mistaken. 

When you sign up for Black Bear, you will play most of your games in New Jersey.

https://tier1hockeyfederation.com/usphl-collab/

Here is the Black Bear plan for next season.  Lots of teams leaving the DVHL to play in the league

https://atlantichockeyfederation.com/ahf-2022-2023/

Why?

1. They promise to balance the schedules

2. They promise more ice time and better ice slots

3. They have full time staff, so web/stats/standings are updated

4. No stay to play

If they can perform those things, they hit a lot of the items that parents complain about, from the Dads who want only competitive games to the goalie Moms who want the SOG and GA to be updated in real time.  It will be an interesting year.