Tier 1 / Tier 2 Nationals

Has anyone been able to find the schedule for Tier 1 Nationals which includes the teams that received at-large bids?  The USA Hockey website, shocking I know, does not have anything.

Is it safe to assume since PPE's only team to win MidAms was U14, that the U15, U16 and U18 teams will get at-large bids?

1 hour ago, Jack Handey said:

You won't have the at-large bids public until the schedule comes out.  I wouldn't assume anything but it helps their chances if they were highly ranked.

Nationals are two weeks away so there is no way USA Hockey is waiting to notify teams that got at-large bids due to travel considerations.  I would bet those that got at-large bids know already.

• 2 weeks later...

I am unaware of the format for Nationals at the HS level, so does anyone know why / how Bishop Canavin was placed and not other higher quality local HS teams?  Was it because of the timing of the Penguins Cup?  

They had a rough showing and went 0-3 with GF / GA of 3-14.

https://nationals.usahockey.com/2022highschooldivisionii

Edited by fafa fohi

30 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

I am unaware of the format for Nationals at the HS level, so does anyone know why / how Bishop Canavin was placed and not other higher quality local HS teams?  Was it because of the timing of the Penguins Cup?  

They had a rough showing and went 0-3 with GF / GA of 3-14.

https://nationals.usahockey.com/2022highschooldivisionii

I've asked the same.  I think you just have to be registered as a National Bound team, apply to MidAm and be approved.  The teams at HS Nationals vary greatly in strength.  One score was 22-0.  Looking at the teams this year, I think the top PIHL AAA/AA teams could do very well.

I think PIHL teams never enter because it always conflicts with the Penguins/PA Cup.

On 3/29/2022 at 1:56 PM, sarampage said:

I've asked the same.  I think you just have to be registered as a National Bound team, apply to MidAm and be approved.  The teams at HS Nationals vary greatly in strength.  One score was 22-0.  Looking at the teams this year, I think the top PIHL AAA/AA teams could do very well.

I think PIHL teams never enter because it always conflicts with the Penguins/PA Cup.

I think there is a co-op style division. Idk the selection. I know it happens early in the season. 

1 hour ago, Danner27 said:

I was just taking a look at tier 2 - when did mid am become a 2a district ???!? I noticed at U18 armstrong is playing for 2A nationals. 

I noticed the same...I thought MidAm was usually 3a.  All three teams last season were 3a.  This season, Allegheny and SCIR are 3a while Armstrong is 2a.  Odd.

I think it's based upon the size of the organization itself and how many total members they have or how many they average. I'm not certain about but if anyone has the motivation to look at past Armstrong results, that would be an indication. And even the old Mid-State teams that were so loaded.

As far as the HS Nationals, that's just a bad HS tournament with a fancy name. Not that all the teams are bad but as stated above, the competition is greatly varied and makes for some ugly scores.

20 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

I think it's based upon the size of the organization itself and how many total members they have or how many they average. I'm not certain about but if anyone has the motivation to look at past Armstrong results, that would be an indication. And even the old Mid-State teams that were so loaded.

As far as the HS Nationals, that's just a bad HS tournament with a fancy name. Not that all the teams are bad but as stated above, the competition is greatly varied and makes for some ugly scores.

That wouldn’t make any sense - the district tournament at tier 2 is pretty much made up of every Pahl org regardless of size. Anyone can play, just apply & pay the money at the start of the season. It’s not really a district tournament, it’s a western PA tournament. 

if you take a look at the teams playing for 3A at U18 (team ohio, Oakland, Philly Blazers etc) that’s where teams from mid am should be & normally are. Armstrong lost to both Philly & Oakland 7-2. They lost to team ohio last week 7-0. ?

U16 - Scir is playing for 3A. 
U14 - Allegheny is playing for 3A. 

Okay, but give us another reason.

I just looked back, when SHAHA won they were in 3A and so was Mid-State in 2014 but that was 3 years after they won 16U 2A in 2011 so maybe they chose to or were told they were playing 3A. Armstrong runner-up team played at 2A and SCIR 3A.

SHAHA and SCIR - larger than Altoona and Armstrong

Like I said, I think that's it but I'm not certain. At least I've provided some data and a thought process whereas you continue to state your opinions.

10 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

Okay, but give us another reason.

I just looked back, when SHAHA won they were in 3A and so was Mid-State in 2014 but that was 3 years after they won 16U 2A in 2011 so maybe they chose to or were told they were playing 3A. Armstrong runner-up team played at 2A and SCIR 3A.

SHAHA and SCIR - larger than Altoona and Armstrong

Like I said, I think that's it but I'm not certain. At least I've provided some data and a thought process whereas you continue to state your opinions.

I’ve only stated the current data - I don’t know the answer, thus the reason I’m asking. 

thanks for pointing out shaha played for 3A when they won the U14 nationals. I’ve always been under the impression the western pa tournament champion plays for 3A. It appears it’s normally that way.  

if I’m understanding your thought process correctly - you are thinking the size of the org matters for the national class the team is placed in. Again, that would make zero sense since everyone from Pahl along with the indie teams from western pa play in the tournament. So if Armstrong lost to someone like Allegheny, Allegheny would represent in 3A ? But since Armstrong is smaller, they won they get to play 2A ? There is no logic in that, they all play each other in the same tournament.  

Edited by Danner27

Did a little digging and found this, supposedly from USA Hockey:

For the Tier II divisions of USA Hockey, districts do not matter. States that make the decision to send teams to Nationals are then split into three levels: 3A, 2A, and 1A. The teams that go into the different levels are determined by the number of registered players per capita with the largest states, such as New Jersey, New York, or Michigan, being placed into 3A, the middle ones going into 2A and the smallest ones, such as Montana and Louisiana, going into 1A. If a team wins its level, they are declared national champions. Different levels do not play each other. 

Edited by sarampage
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sarampage said:

Did a little digging and found this, supposedly from USA Hockey:

For the Tier II divisions of USA Hockey, districts do not matter. States that make the decision to send teams to Nationals are then split into three levels: 3A, 2A, and 1A. The teams that go into the different levels are determined by the number of registered players per capita with the largest states, such as New Jersey, New York, or Michigan, being placed into 3A, the middle ones going into 2A and the smallest ones, such as Montana and Louisiana, going into 1A. If a team wins its level, they are declared national champions. Different levels do not play each other. 

Thanks! 

odd our local teams at 14 & 16 will play 3A but 18 will play 2A. 

7 hours ago, Danner27 said:

odd our local teams at 14 & 16 will play 3A but 18 will play 2A.

The only reason I can think of is that the number of registered players per capita in Western PA for 16U and 14U is higher than 18U.

Edited by RegDunlop7