Pittsburgh Post Gazette Stellar 6 2021-2022

2 hours ago, Saucey said:

I find it unfortunate that a post meant to celebrate an accomplishment devolved into a large discussion regarding a complaint. Standard for here. It's ok to want to discuss it. But it's really a tangent to the OP that could be its own post.

I understand the complaint, very talented hockey players don't get as much attention in high school because of where they go to school, something they do not have control over. However, it is true that it is more of an accomplishment to do what the six celebrated here did both because of their talent AND because of the level of hockey they played. It's a reason I completely approve of not basing hockey divisions over size of the school district alone. PIHL's current system generates and encourages the development of good hockey. I would submit that there are opportunities in PIHL to allow kids to get looks from juniors, etc, while not playing AAA. Rare, but the players celebrated here are also rare. It's a celebration of elite talent.

The All Star game is how all the talent at every division is celebrated. Why, exactly, is that not enough? 

Sorry, there isn't much of a comparison between the level of hockey played at  D2 and the stars of AAA. The hockey is almost an entirely different game. The speed, the difference in shot totals, etc. It's just not comparable.

I'm guilty of straying from the OP's topic, obviously, since I just did it.  ?

I’m a D2 dad and I don’t disagree. D2 teams mostly dont have the depth as the higher levels. In our case the closest AA program is an hour away. I’d like to think my sons team would have been able to compete in A. I dont know about AA but definitely not AAA. Our team had a handful of AA/AAA kids with a majority playing high A. The bigger schools may have many AA/AAA

Congrats to these boys. I’d assume most of them loved playing school hockey. It’s cool to have students and fans at the games. No other travel hockey has that. 

• Like 1

• Paul Baxter changed the title to Pittsburgh Post Gazette Stellar 6 2021-2022
35 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

OK so why don't they get to play for a State Championship?  Doesn't seem fair! Or they don't care?

I don't know much about the LMHL, but it seems to be an independent high school league affiliated with PAHL instead of the PIHL. I'm not even sure when the LMHL was formed because I know some of these schools previously played in the PIHL (State College - AAA; Bishop McCort - A; and so on).

2 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

At least they are playing the game and probably are having a great time at it.  If they are all at roughly the same level it should be very competitive.

The games are usually competitive, but some schools will have AAA level players playing with B level players, so things have been known to get out of hand from a score point of view depending on the depth of the teams from time to time.  Probably no different than PIHL.

3 hours ago, Corsi said:

The games are usually competitive, but some schools will have AAA level players playing with B level players, so things have been known to get out of hand from a score point of view depending on the depth of the teams from time to time.  Probably no different than PIHL.

Extremely different than PIHL. Bishop McCort plays with 6-8 f1 visa players a year and the dregs of the league barely have 1-2 kids who play travel hockey at any level. It’s a garage league. A lot of really dirty play and the league rules aren’t enforced.  EG Westmont brought in a kid who played 0 games for the team to play for them in playoffs. 

Teams like Central Cambria (in Ebensburg) have players from as far away as Armstrong and Butler Counties.  That’s not school based/scholastic hockey. 

Edited by BeaverFalls

7 hours ago, Corsi said:

Lmao. No way these games are competitive. Scores in the twenties to 0?

I just clicked around. I was surprised this league is affiliated with the PAHL, but that is correct. I didn't click around very much, but it does look like Bishop McCort and Westmont are involved in a lot of games well in their favor.

https://www.lmhl.org/schedule/team_instance/6719328?subseason=773999
https://www.lmhl.org/schedule/team_instance/6719327?subseason=773999

17 minutes ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

I just clicked around. I was surprised this league is affiliated with the PAHL, but that is correct. I didn't click around very much, but it does look like Bishop McCort and Westmont are involved in a lot of games well in their favor.

https://www.lmhl.org/schedule/team_instance/6719328?subseason=773999
https://www.lmhl.org/schedule/team_instance/6719327?subseason=773999

I actually agree Spear .........I went up to Johnstown and Witnessed a couple (4) of Laurel Mountain League Games and the teams are JV at best other then Westmont McCort and Richland and maybe a couple others. Far cry from 20 years ago when these schools were pure and competed ..........sign of the times I guess