No icing at all levels now ?

2 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Did I read this correctly ? USAH just made it so ALL levels & ages (accept HS) can no longer ice the puck on the pp ?

Thank goodness if true. Teach possession instead of slapping the puck around while kids are in prime development years. Although I know the old school guys will hate this.

• Like 1
  • 100 1
  • Dislike 1

29 minutes ago, RJUSHL said:

Thank goodness if true. Teach possession instead of slapping the puck around while kids are in prime development years. Although I know the old school guys will hate this.

I don’t disagree at the younger ages & lower levels of play - 16u tier 1 & 18u tier 1 ? Those kids need to learn how to kill penalties, use the boards & glass properly like a pool table etc. 

what’s the point at 18U ? This group is done for the most part or heading to the acha. 

• Like 2

Been playing under this rule for a few years now. I don't mind it at all. Doesn't apply to high school. Kids adjust or take a whistle when they do ice.

I HATE automatic off sides applied at all levels, however. Bleh.

Edited by Saucey
Typo corrected
  • 100 2

The NHL is becoming more like the NFL everyday.  This will soon be a made for TV/Fan game.  Icing the puck is a staple of traditional hockey.  Just like the trap and playing the body and not the puck.  Face it the NHL is changing to meet the demand of the current generation.  

51 minutes ago, HSFBLJ said:

changing to meet the demand of the current generation.

So should we all still be driving a model T? Times change, the game changes. Those that oppose it are free to do so but I haven't seen any damage done by the new off-sides rules or the icing changes. So, it makes it more difficult to kill a penalty. Isn't that a good thing that might actually discourage taking penalties even more than the "beloved" FPP?

• Like 3

On 4/15/2022 at 5:19 PM, Denis Lemiuex said:

As a coach I will just tell my players to ice the puck. Slow the game down. More curfews. Less fun for all involved. Great move by USA Hockey.

this right here, if there were no curfew clocks i wouldn't have a single problem with it.. however its being abused with the use of curfew clocks  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HSFBLJ said:

The NHL is becoming more like the NFL everyday.  This will soon be a made for TV/Fan game.  Icing the puck is a staple of traditional hockey.  Just like the trap and playing the body and not the puck.  Face it the NHL is changing to meet the demand of the current generation.  

Fortunately the NHL is more popular than ever.

I like the no icing. Less slapping, more passing.

I also like pushing the automatic offsides up to the very oldest age groups. It's fun watching a bantam or midget team that is really good with regroups and puck possession. I don't think it slows down the game and I do think it makes it less choppy, unless it's a very low level team that can't figure it out.

I'm guessing that those who are adamantly opposed to the automatic offsides may also still rock a Joffa helmet and Koho stick. They were also probably against the removal of the two line passing rule in the early 2000s.

Edited by RJUSHL
  • Haha 1
  • 100 1

17 minutes ago, RJUSHL said:

Fortunately the NHL is more popular than ever.

I like the no icing. Less slapping, more passing.

I also like pushing the automatic offsides up to the very oldest age groups. It's fun watching a bantam or midget team that is really good with regroups and puck possession. I don't think it slows down the game and I do think it makes it less choppy, unless it's a very low level team that can't figure it out.

I'm guessing that those who are adamantly opposed to the automatic offsides may also still rock a Joffa helmet and Koho stick. They were also probably against the removal of the two line passing rule in the early 2000s.

Agreed!

I'll add that it's fun to watch high school and prep teams that regroup and possess rather than just fire it back in, even though then can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

I have never understood why USA Hockey keeps going back and forth on the automatic offsides. I honestly can't keep up with it. I think that rule is just on its own planet.

Personally, I love it for the younger ages.  Definitely teaches them how to possess the puck and make plays.  Any ding dong can ice the puck, dump the puck, or off the glass and out.  I DO believe it is silly to keep it in 16u and above especially AA and AAA.  If players haven't learned how to regroup and possess the puck by that age at those levels they never will.  Not having delayed offsides at those ages just slows the game down.  Again, it is absolutely great for 14u and below to help develop puck possession and play making but at least the automatic offsides has to go at the 16u AA and AAA Levels and above.

5 hours ago, Carl Racki said:

Personally, I love it for the younger ages.  Definitely teaches them how to possess the puck and make plays.  Any ding dong can ice the puck, dump the puck, or off the glass and out.  I DO believe it is silly to keep it in 16u and above especially AA and AAA.  If players haven't learned how to regroup and possess the puck by that age at those levels they never will.  Not having delayed offsides at those ages just slows the game down.  Again, it is absolutely great for 14u and below to help develop puck possession and play making but at least the automatic offsides has to go at the 16u AA and AAA Levels and above.

I agree with everything you said, actually.

I just don't get why it seems like every 2 years there is some other change made to off-sides. I feel like people are putting in into the same class as not allowing icing on the penalty kill, and I don't think it is. I think the penalty kill thing will be permanent. Delayed vs. Automatic off-sides seems like it will just go back and forth until the end of time.