07 Tryouts

34 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

Whatever......... I mention ownership actually putting money into the facilities and the peanut gallery gets a chubby and piles on.  They could have bought the rink and did nothing just as the previous owners did.

guess you dont remember Bob Simpson and his wife where the ones the owned that rink before the Asian guy. Bob really ran it into the ground pretty bad. The Asian guy only had the rink rink for about 3-4 seasons before current owners. 

4 hours ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

of course he did sister is a coach. and he gets treated like a rock star.  wait tilll that team doesnt do much this season. then he will want out as well 

He is a rock star and a fantastic hockey player. Stop spreading rumors and take notes. They seem to be doing something right. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

I'd be pissed if some kid didn't have to go to North catholic to play on that team but mine did. 

BUT actually I guess I wouldn't, since mine wouldn't play on any team where a specific school was forced on you as the only option. Maybe unless they paid the tuition, and pretty much not even then if it was that school. Seems shady. 

The buddies they brought in to play with that special 07 didn't have to attend N.C. either. They are making some exceptions for the 08 team also. This practice goes all the way up to at least the 05 team that I am sure of. If you are good and they think that you will leave they will give you whatever you want. 

People have been on this page for YEARS trying to tell everyone how shady that organization is and the people that blow hard the PPE try and deny deny deny. 

Edited by Pucks11

39 minutes ago, Ogie_Ogilthorpe said:

He is a rock star and a fantastic hockey player. Stop spreading rumors and take notes. They seem to be doing something right. 

No one is taking anything away from this kid, he is a fantastic player but when he threatens to leave so you give his sister a job,  let him play for free and don't make him go to N.C. that's not doing something right. This kid could EASILY be at Shattuck but why pay all that money to go there when you could stay here and not pay at all. 

22 minutes ago, Pucks11 said:

No one is taking anything away from this kid, he is a fantastic player but when he threatens to leave so you give his sister a job,  let him play for free and don't make him go to N.C. that's not doing something right. This kid could EASILY be at Shattuck but why pay all that money to go there when you could stay here and not pay at all. 

I have second hand embarrassment from reading this. It’s probably best you use an anonymous account for your own sake, don’t want everyone to find out how dumb you really are. He does go to North Catholic. He did not threaten to leave. His sister is a good coach. Young players at PPE look up to him. He is at the rink everyday working hard. Try it sometime instead of spreading lies and criticizing. 

• 100 1

13 minutes ago, Ogie_Ogilthorpe said:

I have second hand embarrassment from reading this. It’s probably best you use an anonymous account for your own sake, don’t want everyone to find out how dumb you really are. He does go to North Catholic. He did not threaten to leave. His sister is a good coach. Young players at PPE look up to him. He is at the rink everyday working hard. Try it sometime instead of spreading lies and criticizing. 

Okay my guy???. Once again no one was criticizing the kid only you keep thinking that. Any kid would play for an organization if they got to play for free. You don’t find it just the bit suspicious that his sisters husband just happens to coach (the same team this past season) there also???

9 hours ago, Pucks11 said:

Dude goes to NC.

• 100 1

Jack,

There were many 07's that didn't want to play 16U at their organizations. This was the only option for them there, no 07 teams moving forward at alot of them. Foxes, Preds, Badgers and many other kids that couldn't make one of the AAA teams were, and some probably still are, looking for a home to play 07 AA. I think that the Icemen jumped on that and had enough kids that were interested in an AA team. It was a good move by them to take advantage of it and offer this to these kids and parents.

Just from another post on this board, you get the gest that with so many kids (50-80) at all of the 07 tryouts for AAA, someone was going to do it. 

• 2 months later...
59 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Does anybody know why the Pens Elite have not posted a roster for their 15U team yet?  All the rest are posted except for that team.  Just curious!

by looking at the u18 roster there are some shockers for sure making the team..... one of which is deff bc of who daddy is.

38 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Maybe they don't feel they can put out a competitive team!

They lost their top 4 players. It's the Pens Elite,  they will bribe some kids parents to play for them even if they have to go outside of North America. 

1 hour ago, Pucks11 said:

They lost their top 4 players. It's the Pens Elite,  they will bribe some kids parents to play for them even if they have to go outside of North America. 

There a a lot of kids from outside the area and state, and kids from Canada on the roster. It wouldn’t be a big shock to see some Europeans there too. Maybe they should leave Pittsburgh out of their name? I thought the program was there to develop local players. 

• 100 1

57 minutes ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

I thought the program was there to develop local players

And....... that's where things went awry.

That's what they tell you but what the subliminal message is this "we need your kid to fund this fleecing machine for 5-6 years until we find some new higher paying candidates for fleecing".

Thank you, and as a parting gift we will allow you wear your helmet, gloves and shell until such time as you outgrow them or you finally realize some self-awareness or shame.

• Like 2
  • Fist Bump 2

2 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

And....... that's where things went awry.

That's what they tell you but what the subliminal message is this "we need your kid to fund this fleecing machine for 5-6 years until we find some new higher paying candidates for fleecing".

Thank you, and as a parting gift we will allow you wear your helmet, gloves and shell until such time as you outgrow them or you finally realize some self-awareness or shame.

It should be obvious to anyone that they don't grow local players. Isn't it apparent to everybody, as once they hit a certain age most of them are out and someone from somewhere else is in? If you are taking the "elite" in their mite and squirt years, you should be able to develope most of those kids- except those that lose interest, can't keep affording it, or otherwise drop out- all the way through. 

So in other words, by going with out-of-towner, the organization is telling you themselves that they are not going to do what they're telling you they will do. 

• Like 1
  • 100 1

more than half from the last several years of 16-18u is from the local area and were developed at pens and are now playing in good junior leagues and/or committed. those birth years were strong locally and so the local kids who have the talent and commitment do play at pens and move on. if a birth year is weak locally like many are, then no pens does not hang on to those kids without results and just take them because they are local. if you look at the player advancement section on the pens site - almost every kid tendered, drafted or signed from 19-22 is from pittsburgh. there are not super talented local kids who pens don’t take because they are local. that is just not true. if you are an asset they want you. 

Edited by hockey2020
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hockey2020 said:

more than half from the last several years of 16-18u is from the local area and were developed at pens and are now playing in good junior leagues and/or committed. those birth years were strong locally and so the local kids who have the talent and commitment do play at pens and move on. if a birth year is weak locally like many are, then no pens does not hang on to those kids without results and just take them because they are local. if you look at the player advancement section on the pens site - almost every kid tendered, drafted or signed from 19-22 is from pittsburgh. there are not super talented local kids who pens don’t take because they are local. that is just not true. if you are an asset they want you. 

I disagree. I know the best 03 in the area got cut from the top team as Bantam. He moved on because of this. He is now playing on a high level junior team. There is no way he shouldn’t have made that top team. He was and is the BEST 03 from the area. And I believe there are other kids that should have made teams but didn’t. Politics are involved at all levels of every sport, and this kid is a prime example that the elite program definitely is influenced by politics. I also disagree that there are not enough good players locally to make a full roster for the elite. But because of the school requirement, kids opt to go elsewhere. Which can be seen by the number of kids who have left to go to other programs around the country and have advanced to higher level juniors. And one last thing, I know of a number of Pens players that have been tendered by junior teams and never made those teams. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

I disagree. I know the best 03 in the area got cut from the top team as Bantam. He moved on because of this. He is now playing on a high level junior team. There is no way he shouldn’t have made that top team. He was and is the BEST 03 from the area. And I believe there are other kids that should have made teams but didn’t. Politics are involved at all levels of every sport, and this kid is a prime example that the elite program definitely is influenced by politics. I also disagree that there are not enough good players locally to make a full roster for the elite. But because of the school requirement, kids opt to go elsewhere. Which can be seen by the number of kids who have left to go to other programs around the country and have advanced to higher level juniors. And one last thing, I know of a number of Pens players that have been tendered by junior teams and never made those teams. 

obviously there are exceptions. and yes, politics are involved at every level and every sport. that’s life. but the facts are as i stated above. many local kids there from the strong birth years. those are facts. can’t imagine there are ANY top 10 teams anywhere in the country on which every player is local to that organization. NONE. 

Edited by hockey2020

“there are not super talented local kids who pens don’t take because they are local. that is just not true. if you are an asset they want you.”

Tell that to the numerous Barons 06 kids that got cut from PPE, then have had their way against PPE teams of late.  If you really believe in that I want some of the rope you are smoking.

Edited by fafa fohi
  • Like 1
  • 100 1

8 hours ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

They cut him because his family isn’t well off, such BS but they were about to start the excel stuff. 

had this kid been giving the opportunities others had, I have no doubt he would have ended up in the ushl or possibly the ohl. 

Edited by Danner27
  • Like 1