07 Tryouts

The real shame of it is the pro team being complicit in it all.  They make such a valiant effort to be squeaky clean on all fronts.  Then let the grass roots level, albeit a small portion of the big picture for them,  operate the way it does. 

Mackinnon has all the right friends.  It’s a wonder he doesn’t speak up.  Those turds would get Thanos snapped back to Chicago and Detroit faster than you can say North Catholic isn’t even as good as most public schools.

Edited by ChiefKeef
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, ChiefKeef said:

Mackinnon has all the right friends.  It’s a wonder he doesn’t speak up.  Those turds would get Thanos snapped back to Chicago and Detroit faster than you can say North Catholic isn’t even as good as most public schools.

All Mackinnon does is sit in his office or walk around with his chest puffed up bragging about knowing/hanging out with Crosby. It's worse with Chiasson since he weaseled his way into practicing with the Pens once in awhile. 

They develop so well that they have former players who didn't make it in juniors coaching and now even coaches kids are coaching along with their spouses getting hired to coach. They are so prestigious that they have coaches coaching multiple teams because they can't get enough coaches ontop of them doing their classes and private lessons. 

But hey they are a non profit organization FOR THE KIDS. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Pucks11 said:

All Mackinnon does is sit in his office or walk around with his chest puffed up bragging about knowing/hanging out with Crosby. It's worse with Chiasson since he weaseled his way into practicing with the Pens once in awhile. 

They develop so well that they have former players who didn't make it in juniors coaching and now even coaches kids are coaching along with their spouses getting hired to coach. They are so prestigious that they have coaches coaching multiple teams because they can't get enough coaches ontop of them doing their classes and private lessons. 

But hey they are a non profit organization FOR THE KIDS. 

They just need to put the program back into the hands of the Hornets guys to be honest.  You know,  the ones responsible for 90% of those NHL origin story posters on the walls at the rink. 

Actually if the pro team were smart - they would wash their hands of directly overseeing youth hockey altogether.  Too much of a cess pool overall and not worth the hassle.  Let the Hornets or the likes of be a separate entity again and then put money into youth hockey across the board in Western PA.  That’s how you get future fans.  Not channeling it all into one program.  That’s when the goons start showing up ala the current format at PPE. 

At the end of the day,  is anyone better for having the Pens Elite around?  What does investing all that time and money at PPE get most kids in the long run?  Has that program helped the area be more competitive overall?  

‘It’S aLL aBoUt ThE eXpErIeNcE aNd LiFe LeSsOnS’ 

Edited by ChiefKeef
  • Like 1
  • 100 1

6 minutes ago, ChiefKeef said:

They just need to put the program back into the hands of the Hornets guys to be honest.  You know,  the ones responsible for 90% of those NHL origin story posters on the walls at the rink. 

Actually if the pro team were smart - they would wash their hands of directly overseeing youth hockey altogether.  Too much of a cess pool overall and not worth the hassle.  Let the Hornets or the likes of be a separate entity again and then put money into youth hockey across the board in Western PA.  That’s how you get future fans.  Not channeling it all into one program.  That’s when the goons start showing up ala the current format at PPE. 

At the end of the day,  is anyone better for having the Pens Elite around?  What does investing all that time and money at PPE get most kids in the long run?  What are the pens results? LOL

I definitely agree that they should be spreading the wealth around to all youth hockey orations. But they are just following the USA hockey model, collect from all to support their precious national development teams. And provide no real support for local hockey organizations. 

On 7/9/2022 at 9:41 PM, ChiefKeef said:

I also just recently saw the that UPMC rink has started a new initiative to fundraise so kids can afford to play hockey.  While the hockey director sits and raises prices by the hundreds/thousands year after year lol

There are some MAJOR ulterior motives at play with this "fundraising" by one person in particular who has weaseled his way into the program...

11 hours ago, forbin said:

There are some MAJOR ulterior motives at play with this "fundraising" by one person in particular who has weaseled his way into the program...

Doesn’t matter.  Your average parent will tell themselves their kid is special and none of this will be a problem for them.  They will be obedient and kiss ass.  

I did think that was rich though.  Guy raises prices significantly year over year.  He must be having a field day with ‘inflation’.  Then they have the balls to start this new fundraising iniative so people can afford to play lol  

Probably going towards paying the way and enticing non-local players to come participate in their prep school cosplay.  

Edited by ChiefKeef

If you look at ALL of those posters of the guys on their walls not 1 of them claim the Pens Elite. They use the team they left for, the Hornets or their high school. Look at the most recent pick he used the US national team and the Sidney Crosby program but gave 0000 praise to the PPE even though they have had his picture blasted all over their website and building. The same thing with Voit, they blasted his picture all over their website and building. 

They did the same with the 07 kids that made the CCM 68's last year. 5 kids made it and 3 of them didn't play a game for them yet but they posted their pictures (in their Detroit uniforms) all over their website like they helped them get there. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pucks11 said:

If you look at ALL of those posters of the guys on their walls not 1 of them claim the Pens Elite. They use the team they left for, the Hornets or their high school. Look at the most recent pick he used the US national team and the Sidney Crosby program but gave 0000 praise to the PPE even though they have had his picture blasted all over their website and building. The same thing with Voit, they blasted his picture all over their website and building. 

They did the same with the 07 kids that made the CCM 68's last year. 5 kids made it and 3 of them didn't play a game for them yet but they posted their pictures (in their Detroit uniforms) all over their website like they helped them get there. 

I think Cooley does credit them.  But why wouldn’t he.  His experience there was 101% different that everyone else.  Plus he has family employed there now.   Whatever. 

If I were Marc Voit I would be sending cease and desists. The irony in his kid being the only PPE player to date__ to put ink to paper in the NHL. 

CCM 68 is a popularity contest. It’s a who’s who of my Dad sucked off anyone and everyone to get me here mixed with actual can’t miss high end players.  It’s about 50/50.  The rosters are all out there and each year roughly half is legit, the other halfs parents have sore jaws.  It’s a big deal for bantam parents until they realize the National Camp is doing the real sorting of who’s who. Kind of like how Brick parents get all that validation from an event and age group that doesn’t mean shit in the long run.  Honestly don’t even see the pens trying to take credit for that as much as just giving a nod to the kids.  They know better and they know everyone else knows too.  Again, much like the brick content on their SM. 

Certainly on point with them trying to take credit elsewhere though.  It’s also why their social media is full of ‘check ins’ with former players who did move on to a higher level.  The reason they created an off season pro league.

All optics to keep the consumers telling themselves everything is fine. 

Edited by ChiefKeef

Not sure why Cooley wouldn’t credit PPE. Family ties through the org. both of his brothers played there. Uncles coached ncaa hockey, cousins played ncaa hockey. I think it’s funny they are crediting the Crosby program - while I do think that program is great, it had nothing to with the kid getting into hockey. He comes from a hockey family. Maybe pens or the nhl ask him to push that pr. 

Marc Voit is past all the bs. Just chatted with him not long ago. He, along with his son have moved on. The first guy to expose publicly in front of everyone the money, excel politics etc. someone build a statue of this guy. They tried to threaten him with many things. Even banned him from going to games. morehouse always had it in for him, marc would help any kid get better. He ran a group skate for what it cost to rent ice right across the street, kids got better development from marc. PPE kids, Esmark kids. It didn’t matter. Marc wasn’t in it for the money. Morehouse didn’t like it, it stopped some families from spending money in house. 

the program will never go away. 66 started it because his son couldn’t make the hornets, so he bought them out and started ppe. Morehouse turned the program into a way to fund the pro practice rink while he pushed his kid through. So I have to ask, which executive is next in line ?  I am  assuming someone has girl since they are pushing woman’s youth hockey harder than ever. 

Funny but true story - when Matt Cullen left the pens in 2018 it had nothing to do with money, contracts etc. (he came back a year later) it was because they wouldn’t let his kids in the click, so he took them to Minnesota. 

Next time you are at the pro game and they do the 50/50 raffle, announce “thanks for helping raise money for local youth hockey”. ask yourself, what are they are really doing with that money ? 20-40k a game (their split) X 40 games. It’s going PPE to pay for salaries and pay for the pro’s stuff.  It doesn’t goto youth hockey. Someone should audit them. 

as much as I enjoyed 66 as a player, not to mention he seemed like a good person - he started this mess for his kid. His kid wasn’t any good to begin with. Couldn’t make any real junior leagues (Mario tried to buy a USHL team, ended up going partners and it still didn’t work out for Austin) but yet he ended up at a start up NCAA D1 major program. He’s since quit. Talk about privilege. Moorehouse just ran with it. made it worse. You think it’s a coincidence he steps down from the pens now that his son is done ? The new ownership group wanted to keep him on. 

black bear is following the Morehouse format a bit. In the other cities where they own rinks, former pros and pro team executives have ownership in the rinks. Black Bear is a bit of pyramid system to get these types to invest. Curious the local connection for western pa. Black Bear bought a nahl team. If you look closely you’ll see the kids moving from team Maryland tier 1 youth (black bear owns this org) that have moved onto the nahl team have nhl ties. Some of these kids are garbage players. 

Edited by Danner27
  • Like 2

I’d be willing to bet on the hockey director doing his huffy puffy phony ‘atta boy’ thing with Cooley and not missing an opportunity to tell him not to forget to mention us!  As far as little pens.  Spot on.  Whole family are hockey people,  good people though and humble all things considered. 

Makes sense with Voit.  Again they prefer the mindless accountant and his wife Melissa who are going to see all the ‘commitments’ on TVs and posters,  then use that for reason why they are making the investment.  Even though something doesn’t feel right.

Just waiting for locals to wake up and realize it doesn’t have to be this way.  They’re enabling it.  Sure the program that comes after will have it’s issues but not to this scale and you might just see some proper development.  The local AAA program is not an option for most people who know what they’re doing with their kids.  

Edited by ChiefKeef

7 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

This is all great information. 

The sad part - it’s all true. I could write a book about it! 

the really sad part - as I’ve said before, if your kid has the skill or as a parent, you feel they do - have to play at ppe to get noticed or move the kid out of town. The esmark Hail Mary at midget doesn’t even work as well as the nfl Hail Mary but it’s something I suppose if you don’t want to ship your kid off. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChiefKeef said:

problem is the one that ran the hornets " sluggo" he's the one that got this ppe shit show on the road too where it is. he was given a 10 year buy out plan.  wonder why he isnt there anymore huh.. facts 

Not really a fair statement towards Sluggo. Sluggo is the cream of the crop for hockey guys.  Dude is loved everywhere he goes. Could stop at a rest stop in Guetemala and would run into someone there happy to see him. 

Whatever the beef is there,  have you ever even been in the same room with the cock sucker who’s running things now?  You would be pining for a guy like Sluggo. 

Sluggo…….. Sluggo running the program would be a gift from the hockey gods lol  I’ll take the sweet asian woman at the concession stand running the program at this point. 

Edited by ChiefKeef

7 minutes ago, ChiefKeef said:

Not really a fair statement towards Sluggo. Sluggo is the cream of the crop for hockey guys. Dude is loved everywhere he goes. Could stop at a rest stop in Guetemala and would run into someone there happy to see him. 

Whatever the beef is there,  have you ever even been in the same room with the cock sucker who’s running Pens now?  You would be pining for a guy like Sluggo. 

Sluggo…….. Sluggo running the program would be a gift from the hockey gods lol I’ll take sweet Ellen at the pens concession stand running the program at this point. 

slug goo ran the hornets and did an amazing job, he was offered a hefty chunk oof change and time within ppe and poof hornets gone. 

the guy at the hornets (Dave Klasick) he tried to rectify the Pittsburgh hornets under the lebo hornets until it took off, didn't go to well. 

1 hour ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

slug goo ran the hornets and did an amazing job, he was offered a hefty chunk oof change and time within ppe and poof hornets gone. 

the guy at the hornets (Dave Klasick) he tried to rectify the Pittsburgh hornets under the lebo hornets until it took off, didn't go to well. 

I don’t think there was much of a choice there was there?  From what I understand the writing is on the wall when 66 and Morehouse decided they wanted the program.  Would be stupid not to atleast get something out of it. 

Don’t want to talk about Sluggo though unless we are talking about all the posters Mr. almost won the hobey baker hung on the walls at the rink. 

Edited by ChiefKeef

31 minutes ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

problem is the one that ran the hornets " sluggo" he's the one that got this ppe shit show on the road too where it is. he was given a 10 year buy out plan.  wonder why he isnt there anymore huh.. facts 

Have to disagree, 66 bought out the hornets along with the am pens junior b & c club (rebranded afterward as the three rivers vengeance to what it is now with the usphl) sluggo had nothing to do with it. 

the guy that cut Austin at tryouts would not budge,  regardless of all the pressure that was applied. So Mario pulled a hostel take over in a way. Certain people had to get bought out. 

2 hours ago, ChiefKeef said:

Where’s hockey2020?  No Wi-Fi on the flight back from your 1-9 trip to Alberta? 

Before you edited this post you mentioned Clarkson university, not sure why you removed it. if you want a real dirty secret -  Dartmouth! 

from the cba - 

How do Entry-Level Contracts Work?

Players younger than 25 years of age as of September 15 during the year of their first NHL contract must sign an entry-level contract which have set limitations - all entry-level contracts are two-way contracts and the maximum allowable salary for players drafted until 2022 is $925,000. 

The length of the entry-level contract is also dependent on the player’s age:
  • 18-21 years of age: 3 years
  • 22-23 years of age: 2 years
  • 24 years of age: 1 year

Edited by Danner27
I can’t afford nhl attorneys