Rostraver for sale

I realize that this could be paywalled for some of you, but the gist of it is in the first paragraph:

"At 75, Jim Murphy would gladly retire — if he could only find a buyer for the business he has poured everything into for the last three decades."

and this:

"A “for sale” sign is posted at the entrance of Rostraver Ice Garden in Westmoreland County. Mr. Murphy said some potential buyers have expressed interest in the 14-acre property with 65,000-square-foot building, which he estimates is worth $3 million. But no serious offers have come through."

https://www.post-gazette.com/business/career-workplace/2022/04/25/business-owners-buy-sell-company-succession-retirement-finances-covid-19-pandemic/stories/202204240032

I doubt this would be a place black bear would be interested in. My guess a developer buys the property at some point, the rink will be gone. Who plays out of there still ? 

Mon valley Pahl club, TJ HS, EF HS & Cal U ? 

Edited by Danner27
EF
  • Like 1

I'd be VERY interested in it, but not at $3m...  that rink probably needs $500k of renovations immediately to try and get it to relatively decent standards.

1) new locker rooms

2) new bathrooms.  ** bathrooms on both sides**

3) actual stands or seats, not wooden benches

3a) heaters over the stands

4) proper ventilation system (so that you don't choke each time the zamboni runs) and so that there isn't fog in there.  Or perhaps a battery powered zamboni and improved de-humidifiers...

5) overhaul of both ends of the building

6) free wifi

7) livebarn

Edited by Wes
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pa Hockey said:

Center Ice got a lot and more than they wanted and PIA ???

A lot, meaning what?  I call $3m a lot, but it's relative to the location, # of rinks, condition of the place, existing business income, etc.

That place (rostraver) with its location is not worth 3 million. It’s been many years since I have been there. It was in real bad shape then. I do recall feeling like I was getting sick when the Zamboni ran, all that carbon monoxide has to be illegal ? I just don’t see any hockey group investing in that place due to location, improvements needed & it’s only one sheet. 

Edited by Danner27
  • Like 2

I don't know how much property that includes, the property may be worth that much, MAYBE. But not because the ice rink is there. If property actually is worth anything near that, it'll be torn down and something else put in there like a shopping center or office building. 

My guess is the guy thinks since the big corporate Black Bear is buying up rinks, they'll give him 3 million. 

It would take a long time for one sheet to generate 3 million bucks especially for having to put more money into it. And rinks are a poor invest generally speaking. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Wes said:

I'd be VERY interested in it, but not at $3m...  that rink probably needs $500k of renovations immediately to try and get it to relatively decent standards.

1) new locker rooms

2) new bathrooms.  ** bathrooms on both sides**

3) actual stands or seats, not wooden benches

3a) heaters over the stands

4) proper ventilation system (so that you don't choke each time the zamboni runs) and so that there isn't fog in there.  Or perhaps a battery powered zamboni and improved de-humidifiers...

5) overhaul of both ends of the building

6) free wifi

7) livebarn

8. A new zamboni driver

Edited by Ihearthockey
  • 100 1

I think he has wanted $3 million for last 10 years, While that seems high, It used to cost $1 million for a new single sheet of ice back then, but now I think it would be hard to build a similar structure with the same square footage for under $5 million. It did get a good amount of updates back when it won the Kraft hockey award, I know the Pens put additional money into it, but it was still deemed not good enough to host the game and they moved it to UPMC last minute. I don't like to location, but it does serve  an area and does not have much competition. Black Bear dose not typically look at single sheets. To be honest, anyone looking to build a rink will not build a single sheet cause it cost to run one sheet to multiple sheets is not much of a difference. I don't see this being sold anytime soon, I know multiple people that are interested in getting into the business, but this place does not have much potential to make it worth the investment, even at a $1 to $1.5, I don't see it happening.

27 minutes ago, mrfreeze said:

I think he has wanted $3 million for last 10 years, While that seems high, It used to cost $1 million for a new single sheet of ice back then, but now I think it would be hard to build a similar structure with the same square footage for under $5 million. It did get a good amount of updates back when it won the Kraft hockey award, I know the Pens put additional money into it, but it was still deemed not good enough to host the game and they moved it to UPMC last minute. I don't like to location, but it does serve  an area and does not have much competition. Black Bear dose not typically look at single sheets. To be honest, anyone looking to build a rink will not build a single sheet cause it cost to run one sheet to multiple sheets is not much of a difference. I don't see this being sold anytime soon, I know multiple people that are interested in getting into the business, but this place does not have much potential to make it worth the investment, even at a $1 to $1.5, I don't see it happening.

That’s why it will go away at some point,  Some company will buy it, turn it into a warehouse. If Murph passes away -  you can get bet that family will take the first offer regardless how much it is. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mrfreeze said:

It did get a good amount of updates back when it won the Kraft hockey award, I know the Pens put additional money into it, but it was still deemed not good enough to host the game and they moved it to UPMC last minute. 

If I remember correctly, they did the Hockeyville updates, but the issue was that there is concrete behind the boards, because the ice sheet is below the stands.  The NHL and the NHLPA decided that it wasn't safe to host an NHL game if there wasn't any "give" to the boards as a very valid player safety concern.  

It would be a shame if it shut down. Hopefully he can find a buyer or work out some type of deal to continue operations. I think it's the only rink in the Mon Valley? Next closest rink for those kids would maybe be Delmont or Southpointe? Neither are close.

I know people have mentioned Black Bear, but it doesn't seem like the type of property they would purchase. They would see a bigger return improving Palmer, Pittsburgh Ice, and adding the second sheet to Printscape.

Edited by RJUSHL

54 minutes ago, BeaverFalls said:

There’s talks that a church (who I believe uses it part time) are in process of making it their permanent facility. 

That’s what happened to the old airport ice arena ? Sounds like it’s only a matter of time until rostraver is gone. 

1 hour ago, Corsi said:

If I remember correctly, they did the Hockeyville updates, but the issue was that there is concrete behind the boards, because the ice sheet is below the stands.  The NHL and the NHLPA decided that it wasn't safe to host an NHL game if there wasn't any "give" to the boards as a very valid player safety concern.  

This is correct. The boards are part of the retaining system for the soil below the stands. I'm pretty sure that the boards themselves are partly concrete. Anyone who bought that rink and wanted to modernize it would end up having to deal with that issue eventually. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJUSHL said:

It would be a shame if it shut down. Hopefully he can find a buyer or work out some type of deal to continue operations. I think it's the only rink in the Mon Valley? Next closest rink for those kids would maybe be Delmont or Southpointe? Neither are close.

I know people have mentioned Black Bear, but it doesn't seem like the type of property they would purchase. They would see a bigger return improving Palmer, Pittsburgh Ice, and adding the second sheet to Printscape.

Depends on where people live but I would think SHAHA would be closer for people who live in TJ.  If you live south of there southpointe across 70 or down to Morgantown?  

1 hour ago, Lifelongbender said:

This is correct. The boards are part of the retaining system for the soil below the stands. I'm pretty sure that the boards themselves are partly concrete. Anyone who bought that rink and wanted to modernize it would end up having to deal with that issue eventually. 

double yikes.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 10:13 AM, BeaverFalls said:

There’s talks that a church (who I believe uses it part time) are in process of making it their permanent facility. 

I just heard this from a TJ board member today. I think this church thing has some real traction. 

• Like 1

The more I think about this, with all the issues including the hard boards/bowl shape, and the high roof, one solution would be to fill in the bowl completely and build the rink and stands at ground level.  That decision though should have come when the roof collapsed, and not now.

But being that there is a long list of issues/needs for this rink as of right now, that would be WAY to cost prohibitive.  I am thinking it would likely be less expensive (and more practical) to build a new building somewhere with 2 sheets, and a structure like Center Ice (steel beams that cover 2 rinks, low ceilings with insulation), than it would be sink another $1m into Rostraver on top of the purchase price.

It does sound like re-purposing the building might be a more practical thing than trying to sort out all the hockey related issues, and believe me I don't want to see another rink close.

I have been to MANY rinks around the country and for sure Rostraver (unfortunately) is one of the least desirable rinks.

Edited by Wes
  • Like 2

As a side note, a long time ago my son had a JR high playoff game at Rostraver.  That was the first time he played there (a few years AFTER the roof repair)  The main thing that I remember was literally gagging at the gas exhaust from the Zamboni (pregame and then between periods).  it reeked so bad I literally had to open one of the doors behind the stands and breathe fresh air.   Just when the air finally started to clear it would be time for another ice cut.  Not a very healthy experience.

That smell reminded me (from the 80's, yeah I am dating myself) when the busses would all line up at my high school for afternoon dismissal (like 25 busses) and they would all be idling, and the disgusting exhaust odor would gag you while getting on the busses and until the busses started to move.

3 minutes ago, Wes said:

As a side note, a long time ago my son had a JR high playoff game at Rostraver.  That was the first time he played there (a few years AFTER the roof repair)  The main thing that I remember was literally gagging at the gas exhaust from the Zamboni (pregame and then between periods).  it reeked so bad I literally had to open one of the doors behind the stands and breathe fresh air.   Just when the air finally started to clear it would be time for another ice cut.  Not a very healthy experience.

That smell reminded me (from the 80's, yeah I am dating myself) when the busses would all line up at my high school for afternoon dismissal (like 25 busses) and they would all be idling, and the disgusting exhaust odor would gag you while getting on the busses and until the busses started to move.

Is that Zamboni running on diesel ??? It’s was 10 years or so when I was last in rostraver. Same situation - We felt as if we were going to vomit. 

I can not anyone really wanting to build a new rink in the Mon Valley - bit of a depressed area.