Rostraver for sale

50 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

I can not anyone really wanting to build a new rink in the Mon Valley - bit of a depressed area. 

I agree. In Rostraver's early days, the fact that it was the only game in town probably mattered more than the location. Even Lebo was built in the late 70s, Rostraver still had the advantage of relatively scarce ice. But now, YMCA (Bethel), Printscape (Southpointe), Lebo, Ice Castle, Center Ice, and Connellsville are all just close enough to be a problem. YMCA closed a sheet a few years ago and Connellsville is always in a state of disarray, so maybe it's just a matter of which domino falls first, but something is going to lose for sure.

I would think if you are going to open another rink anywhere in the area, it would not be in the Mon Valley. Maybe closer to the new developments in the North Hills would be the best choice, but I think just about anywhere but the Mon Valley would be a better choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danner27 said:

Is that Zamboni running on diesel ??? It’s was 10 years or so when I was last in rostraver. Same situation - We felt as if we were going to vomit. 

I can not anyone really wanting to build a new rink in the Mon Valley - bit of a depressed area. 

No idea, but that one smells WAY worse than any other zamboni.  Instant choke/gagging when you inhale it and it stinks up the whole building, which is hard to do since the ceilings are so high.  My guess is the gasses are heavy and stay low to the bowl.  

40 minutes ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

I agree. In Rostraver's early days, the fact that it was the only game in town probably mattered more than the location. Even Lebo was built in the late 70s, Rostraver still had the advantage of relatively scarce ice. But now, YMCA (Bethel), Printscape (Southpointe), Lebo, Ice Castle, Center Ice, and Connellsville are all just close enough to be a problem. YMCA closed a sheet a few years ago and Connellsville is always in a state of disarray, so maybe it's just a matter of which domino falls first, but something is going to lose for sure.

I would think if you are going to open another rink anywhere in the area, it would not be in the Mon Valley. Maybe closer to the new developments in the North Hills would be the best choice, but I think just about anywhere but the Mon Valley would be a better choice.

Perhaps over in the Peters / USC area would be better, but that's relatively close to both Southpointe and Bethel.  I agree that the route 70 area from new stanton to washington is an area that doesn't exactly need a hockey facility...

43 minutes ago, Wes said:

Perhaps over in the Peters / USC area would be better, but that's relatively close to both Southpointe and Bethel.  I agree that the route 70 area from new stanton to washington is an area that doesn't exactly need a hockey facility...

You are discounting a lot of hockey families southeast of the city. Losing Rostraver will likely kill the two PIHL school programs that play out if there, as well as the PAHL program, and possible Cal. Any other rink is 45-60 minutes from this area and I doubt any of the remaining rinks would have room to accommodate these programs anyway. This area needs a rink more than any other in SWPA. I’m sure the tenants would like a better one but will settle for what they have.  Hope it can stay!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, stickboy said:

You are discounting a lot of hockey families southeast of the city. Losing Rostraver will likely kill the two PIHL school programs that play out if there, as well as the PAHL program, and possible Cal. Any other rink is 45-60 minutes from this area and I doubt any of the remaining rinks would have room to accommodate these programs anyway. This area needs a rink more than any other in SWPA. I’m sure the tenants would like a better one but will settle for what they have.  Hope it can stay!

I don't think anyone is trying to minimize the effect that this will have on the Mon Valley. It would be a very sad day for Pittsburgh hockey if Rostraver closes its doors. Unfortunately, it just feels like the writing is on the wall. Yes, the other rinks are far from this rink, but, for example Jefferson Hills is slightly closer to the YMCA rink than Rostraver. Unless the community buys the rink, I feel like it's difficult to see this rink lasting more than another 3-4 years.

1 hour ago, stickboy said:

Cal ? Maybe the school should buy it. I feel like someone once said when they started to remodel that school years ago a rink was being put in with the basketball facility or started but the state cut the funding. 

nobody is advocating for the rink to go away, as another poster said the writing is on the wall. I don’t think it makes it through next season if the church really wants it. They will pay the high asking price. 

if something happens to murph you can bet that family takes the first offer regardless what it is. 

• Like 1

Would be a shame to lose an ice surface and a location with that much history and character.  I don't get there often but was there a few months ago.  Did NOT notice the typical diesel fuel smell of years past, so ventilation must have improved with the renovations.  The place could use a broom, mop, and dusting though.

13 hours ago, BeaverFalls said:

There was a period of time Cal played out of BP Bladerunners I believe.  I’m assuming it would be a less than desirable move back given that it’s down to one sheet now and a further trek - but potentially necessary. 

That's right - Cal played there for a decent time before the YMCA bought the building. I assume the single sheet of ice, combined with the number of teams SHAHA has been fielding, Cal playing there would be very unlikely.

It's been rumored for years about a 2nd sheet at Printscape. It's going to be costly regardless but I've also heard there might be some sort of groundwater issue that would need dealt with first. I can't figure out how they and SHAHA are able to operate so many teams on one sheet so I'm sure it would be filled instantly if it happens.

15 hours ago, BeaverFalls said:

There was a period of time Cal played out of BP Bladerunners I believe.  I’m assuming it would be a less than desirable move back given that it’s down to one sheet now and a further trek - but potentially necessary. 

I don’t see someone like cal being able to get regular ice at bethel or sp. between Pahl programs and varsity hockey there is no ice to sell. I could be wrong but I feel the reason the second sheet was taken out of sp was due to a foundation issue. Both of these places are probably not a desirable drive for college kids from that campus. 

more than likely they will have to play out of that dump the ice mine if it’s still around. 

I believe Black Bear had planned a second sheet to be ready in Fall of 2021 but opted to delay the project because of the Pittsburgh Ice purchase. Construction on the second sheet is now planned to begin March 2023 and be ready Fall of 2023. This is all just rumors so who knows if it will actually happen. 

5 hours ago, Danner27 said:

I don’t see someone like cal being able to get regular ice at bethel or sp. between Pahl programs and varsity hockey there is no ice to sell. I could be wrong but I feel the reason the second sheet was taken out of sp was due to a foundation issue. Both of these places are probably not a desirable drive for college kids from that campus. 

more than likely they will have to play out of that dump the ice mine if it’s still around. 

That’s a blast from the past. I believe when WJ had a team, that’s where they played out of. 

40 minutes ago, BeaverFalls said:

That’s a blast from the past. I believe when WJ had a team, that’s where they played out of. 

Yes, W&J played out of sp. here is some old trivia for you - the former W&J President who started the club team was a huge hockey fan, former player & huge supporter of the game. He wanted to take W&J to the top of the acha and possibly explore ncaa d3. He got shut down by the school. So he left and started the powerhouse we all know at Adrain College. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Saucey said:

Ugh. Did you ask what the plan is if Rostraver goes bye bye? It's why Cal is even on my boy's radar.

Not my kid, I didn’t talk much about it - school should be the most important factor. I attend a grad party last weekend, kid is still deciding between Cal & Pitt - due to placement tests, nothing regarding hockey. He will be a great player for either club. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Danner27 said:

Not my kid, I didn’t talk much about it - school should be the most important factor. I attend a grad party last weekend, kid is still deciding between Cal & Pitt - due to placement tests, nothing regarding hockey. He will be a great player for either club. 

I agree on school first. But if you also want to play hockey the choices are there. If he can get into Pitt and play there, go for it, I say! Not easy to get into Pitt these days.

9 hours ago, Saucey said:

I agree on school first. But if you also want to play hockey the choices are there. If he can get into Pitt and play there, go for it, I say! Not easy to get into Pitt these days.

From what I understood talking with his parents - Pitt is only slightly more expensive, cal being a state school doesn’t have as many scholarship opportunities. He would live at both schools, The kid wants to go for engineering -  pitt’s program sounds like they start you at the very bottom regardless of hs classes for mathematics. Cal will let him test out of certain math classes. So it sounds like he has some things to work through with his decision. 

as for hockey - he nor his parents seem to have a preference with either school. Both clubs you have to drive to a rink. they understand it’s club hockey, it’s just there to keep playing a bit, make some new friends & have fun as long as it doesn’t interfere with his studies. I mentioned rostraver is up for sale, it didn’t seem to matter to them. I text a few friends from TJ - they haven’t heard anything new about rostraver, so here I am asking around this place ? what schools are peaking the interest of your kid ?  

Edited by Danner27