18U Registration still open.

On 5/7/2022 at 4:59 PM, NPGH Director of Hockey said:

North Pittsburgh 18u Tryouts are next week. Registration is still open. We would like to field a AA team and looking for players who need a home.  Team will be coached by Brian Morrison. Information on Coach Morrison can be found here.  https://www.wildcatshockey.net/news_article/show/1221336

Edited by Icebucket
  • Like 1

The next pool that will dry up is the Coaching pool. At least the refs don't have to hear the parents after they leave the ice. The Coaches always get to hear their unsolicited opinions.

Glad they are finding willing participants and hope they stay willing participants.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

The next pool that will dry up is the Coaching pool. At least the refs don't have to hear the parents after they leave the ice. The Coaches always get to hear their unsolicited opinions.

Glad they are finding willing participants and hope they stay willing participants.

That's until parents email the coaches with practice plans because they are not happy with the flow or drills.

• Haha 1

Like I said, I think the coaches pool is starting to dry up now. Let's see in 3 years how much a non-parent coach for even a AA 14/16/18U National Bound type commands, my guess in the neighborhood of $7500. Hopefully, I'm wrong and there have been a lot of college grads who played at least ACHA who have recently entered the markets locally. Maybe they'll fill the void.

25 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

I would pay an extra 500.00 for a good non parent coach at 14U and above. Do most AAA teams have a separate fee for coaches?  Don't some of them build it into the season fees so you don't see how much a coach is getting paid.

I'm curious as to where Pittsburgh parents got so snooty with their kids and coaches. Some of the top organizations in the COUNTRY have parent coaches. Pens Elite, Vengeance,  Chicago,  Detroit, Boston just to name a few of the hotbed. If your kid isn't learning then maybe it has something to do with the way you raised him. Coaches fees are WAY MORE than an extra $500 because you have to pay for part of their travel and all of their hotels for the season. Some of the worst coaches in the area are coaches that don't have a kid on the team because they really don't care as long a sthey get paid. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pucks11 said:

I'm curious as to where Pittsburgh parents got so snooty with their kids and coaches. Some of the top organizations in the COUNTRY have parent coaches. Pens Elite, Vengeance,  Chicago,  Detroit, Boston just to name a few of the hotbed. If your kid isn't learning then maybe it has something to do with the way you raised him. Coaches fees are WAY MORE than an extra $500 because you have to pay for part of their travel and all of their hotels for the season. Some of the worst coaches in the area are coaches that don't have a kid on the team because they really don't care as long a sthey get paid. 

?the worst ones are the skills coaches that parlay a paid coaching gig in to private lessons where the kids feel obligated to take lessons from that coach.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

1 hour ago, Lucky17 said:

?the worst ones are the skills coaches that parlay a paid coaching gig in to private lessons where the kids feel obligated to take lessons from that coach.

How about the best ones! Are there any good coaches out there?  It seems that there must be a lot more bad coaches than good ones? Why is everyone always so negative on this board? I guess there are a lot of people who had a bad experience!  More bad than good!

40 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

How about the best ones! Are there any good coaches out there?  It seems that there must be a lot more bad coaches than good ones? Why is everyone always so negative on this board? I guess there are a lot of people who had a bad experience!  More bad than good!

The people of Pittsburgh wouldn't be happy with a former NHL couch. They will spend thousands on skating/skills coaches just to bitch about them because their kid sucks and it the coaches fault. They can't understand that it takes hard work and dedication not force. If your kid likes hockey then nothing will stop them from working at it or having a stick in their hand whether at home or anywhere else. If your kid doesn't pick a stick up unless you tell them to then stop wasting your money just to complain about a parent coach or skating/skills coach. 

To answer your question,  yes there are good coaches and bad coaches but certain parents will never be happy  no matter where they are but it will ALWAYS be the coaches fault. 

My kid has had a couple GREAT coaches that yelled and told kids what they did wrong and other parents absolutely hated.  He has also had a couple of coaches that were super nice but sucked as a coach but parents liked because they would inflate their kids egos instead of telling them what they did wrong. 

Edited by Pucks11
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

I think there are some great coaches in the area.  My original point was don’t be impressed just because a coach isn’t a parent.  There are many good parent coaches out there.  Also, as @Pucks11 pointed out, a “good coach” is entirely subjective. 

• 100 1

Some personalities don't mesh well as Pucks11 points out. But people don't recognize when that happens. Ot that it's good for a kid to figure out how to handle a coach that they don't like. You know, practice for the real world for when they get a coworker or boss that they hate.

11 hours ago, Pucks11 said:

The people of Pittsburgh wouldn't be happy with a former NHL couch. They will spend thousands on skating/skills coaches just to bitch about them because their kid sucks and it the coaches fault. They can't understand that it takes hard work and dedication not force. If your kid likes hockey then nothing will stop them from working at it or having a stick in their hand whether at home or anywhere else. If your kid doesn't pick a stick up unless you tell them to then stop wasting your money just to complain about a parent coach or skating/skills coach. 

To answer your question,  yes there are good coaches and bad coaches but certain parents will never be happy  no matter where they are but it will ALWAYS be the coaches fault. 

My kid has had a couple GREAT coaches that yelled and told kids what they did wrong and other parents absolutely hated.  He has also had a couple of coaches that were super nice but sucked as a coach but parents liked because they would inflate their kids egos instead of telling them what they did wrong. 

I bet it is the same everywhere not just Pittsburgh!  Bottom line is how hard the kid is willing to work.  Most kids don't understand constructive criticism.  Also I think good coaches will have kids go to their programs. Not always about wins and losses.  I still think a good skills coach is most important!