Who are the Jr Ropes ?

It's not just that age group. I have an older child playing summer hockey. The dads for the other team, in a very lopsided win, would cheer every goal by saying... F ya, let's go, that's awesome! Cry over missed calls. The goalie couldn't move laterally and my son's team had seven skaters or something. But that was a big deal to them.

Too many parents really suck these days. It's impossible to sit in stands anymore.

• Like 1

I have been involved with youth hockey in some way for close to 40 years.  Crazy parents are not a new thing to hockey.  There are just as many crazy parents in other sports than there are in hockey.  The complaint with parents at a younger age is that they don't have the perspective of having watched for years and they seem to assume that the game revolves around their child and that their child should be playing major junior at 12 and in the NHL by 16.  I've harped on it over and over again in different threads on this board, but we NEED better education for both players and parents about what the journey through hockey actually looks like.  The problem will be that parents do not like to hear the truth when it comes to their child.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Corsi said:

I have been involved with youth hockey in some way for close to 40 years.  Crazy parents are not a new thing to hockey.  There are just as many crazy parents in other sports than there are in hockey.  The complaint with parents at a younger age is that they don't have the perspective of having watched for years and they seem to assume that the game revolves around their child and that their child should be playing major junior at 12 and in the NHL by 16.  I've harped on it over and over again in different threads on this board, but we NEED better education for both players and parents about what the journey through hockey actually looks like.  The problem will be that parents do not like to hear the truth when it comes to their child.  

I don't disagree with you, but I don't think the volunteer run Boards have the time or energy to do it, unfortunately. It's a cycle that repeats over and over. By the time people realize these things, they are moving on and don't care about what is coming behind them. 

And there is always someone out there with their hands out, ready to give parents the truth they want to hear in exchange for their dollars.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corsi said:

Is the journey through Hockey any different than the journey through youth Football, Baseball, Basketball?  Everyone wants their kid to wind up in the pros right? Although I must admit the path to College Hockey is much different than the path for any other sport.  At least in my opinion.  Not sure how to educate parents on that without it being seen as a money grab.

46 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Is the journey through Hockey any different than the journey through youth Football, Baseball, Basketball?  Everyone wants their kid to wind up in the pros right? Although I must admit the path to College Hockey is much different than the path for any other sport.  At least in my opinion.  Not sure how to educate parents on that without it being seen as a money grab.

I imagine baseball is the closest. Has a much more limited number of scholarships than basketball or football, though I think it's still way more than hockey (edit, yes, around 5000 vs 500 for hockey...way, way more in basketball and football). And there aren't nearly the number of fully sponsored youth baseball teams/camps/training facilities as there are football & basketball, so the expenses fall on the parents. I think the other big difference with hockey is that no other sport has so many foreign players. Something like 35% of NCAA players are foreign born and I bet many if not most of them are scholarship players.

In my experience, the thing that people really don't seem to get is hockey scholarships are much more rare than baseball, football, or basketball scholarships. The number of available scholarships in hockey is tiny compared to the pool of players eligible for them.

12 hours ago, Saucey said:

I don't disagree with you, but I don't think the volunteer run Boards have the time or energy to do it, unfortunately. It's a cycle that repeats over and over. By the time people realize these things, they are moving on and don't care about what is coming behind them. 

And there is always someone out there with their hands out, ready to give parents the truth they want to hear in exchange for their dollars.

how abuts there anyone who isnt trying to get their money?????? 

On 6/10/2022 at 10:40 PM, nemesis8679 said:

Hockey is way more convoluted than any other major sport. 

It really isn't.  It just follows a path unlike other traditional sports.  It has evolved recently to include more prep and NCAA vs. junior, but if you know the path it is pretty straight forward. 

10 hours ago, carroll81 said:

It really isn't.  It just follows a path unlike other traditional sports.  It has evolved recently to include more prep and NCAA vs. junior, but if you know the path it is pretty straight forward. 

Prep is a joke for the most part. Just a term to pull in money. Sure the top 3 prep schools move kids, others really don’t. 5 years of hs just to play hockey -  please! Go the real junior route over prep unless it’s one of the big 3 that nobody around here will make. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, carroll81 said:

Idk if I agree with this. I’ve seen a ton more baseball players and football players go D1 NCAA straight out of high school than be able to name a single hockey player do it. It takes an inordinate amount of time and money to navigate to simply any level NCAA hockey over most other sports. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Hockeyguy said:

looks like the 16u jr ropes team isn’t very good. they lost all of there games at the summer sizzler tournament pretty bad. Are they an Aviators team ?

Is it that they weren't very good or the other teams were "Very good"?   I think the 06 AA/AAA Badgers team was there.  Did they win the 16U Bracket?  Spring summer hockey is about getting better.  What better way to test your team than playing above your level.  The Westmoreland team got some good games in.  It will help in the long run.  Ultimately no wone really cares how bad you got beat in a summer tournament.