Russian boy killed by puck

14 year old Russian player hit in the chest. Says he didn't have a protective shield over his chest. Not sure if that means it was removed, or he just wasn't wearing a proper chest protector.

Another reminder to not skimp on your child's equipment, and make sure it's worn and fits right. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/english.pravda.ru/amp/news/hotspots/153571-hockey_player/

My guess is Commotio Cordis.   I am more familiar with it from Lacrosse and Baseball than hockey.  The impact from the puck causes an irregular heartbeat.  The only intervention is immediate defibrillation with an AED.

Agree with Nemesis... make sure you are using current hockey gear.  The latest shoulder pads have an added guard over the heart area to prevent such an injury.

Also, can't hurt to notice where AED's are in rinks that you go to.

On 8/12/2022 at 8:58 PM, carroll81 said:

The only intervention is immediate defibrillation with an AED.

which begs the question, how do these out of state rinks run tournaments with NO EMTs on site? even if they can legally squirm out of responsibility, as a rink owner, I wouldn't want anyone dying.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, miked said:

which begs the question, how do these out of state rinks run tournaments with NO EMTs on site? even if they can legally squirm out of responsibility, as a rink owner, I wouldn't want anyone dying.

There are no EMT's on site at any hockey games in Eastern PA.  JR's, high schools and some older T1 club teams have Athletic Trainers.

All the rinks have multiple AEDs available.  They are designed to be used by anyone.