Rostraver sold??

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2022 at 11:55 AM, aaaahockey said:

Any updates on this one?

I talked to someone I consider absolutely reliable tonight. Apparently Rostraver management met with Black Bear representatives last week out at Delmont and signed the papers. As far as I can tell this is a done deal at this point, quite literally. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lifelongbender said:

I talked to someone I consider absolutely reliable tonight. Apparently Rostraver management met with Black Bear representatives last week out at Delmont and signed the papers. As far as I can tell this is a done deal at this point, quite literally. 

Thanks for the update.  

12 hours ago, Lifelongbender said:

Hmmm....

This is a great thing for Mon Valley hockey, but I can't help but think this is another nail in the coffin for PAHL.  Is there anyone that doesn't think Black Bear is going to be running the amateur leagues in Pittsburgh within the next year or two? Black Bear is very aggressive and PAHL cannot adapt fast enough.

Edited by RJUSHL
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RJUSHL said:

This is a great thing for Mon Valley hockey, but I can't help but think this is another nail in the coffin for PAHL.  Is there anyone that doesn't think Black Bear is going to be running the amateur leagues in Pittsburgh within the next year or two? Black Bear is very aggressive and PAHL cannot adapt fast enough.

This is very possible and may be a good thing. Idk enough about both organizations but I have to think there is way too much pandering to creating travel hockey for kids who should only be playing in-house (soak up that money so you can brag about your kids game 3 hours away even if it is B hockey). 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, RJUSHL said:

Black Bear might be very aggressive!  I would have thought that they would have put pressure on Allegheny and South Pittsburgh to leave the PAHL this year!  It seems that most of the AHF has very high level teams.  Not sure they want to get into the low levels of Squirt, PeeWee and Bantam.  The PAHL might wide up being very watered down with maybe half as many teams but I think there are still enough rinks and organizations within SWPA for the Pahl to exist. Just my opinion!

Just depends on how far you are willing to go to get competitive teams to play!  I'm still not real sure of the rationale the Badgers used to go 16U Independent this year instead of playing a PAHL schedule and then all those independent games. Pretty sure Renegades, Wildcats, Preds, Rebellion and Arrows would give them good games in 16U AA PAHL this year.

• 100 1

11 hours ago, Danner27 said:

100% confirmed to me the other day, BB does own it. This should be good for that old place. Real Zamboni ? Doubt they anything can be done with the concrete boards. 

Should be good for Jim Murphy too. It seems like he's been trying to get out of the hockey business for longer than he's been in it.

12 hours ago, Danner27 said:

100% confirmed to me the other day, BB does own it. This should be good for that old place. Real Zamboni ? Doubt they anything can be done with the concrete boards. 

It's hard to see what can be done to improve Rostraver. I have been thinking that maybe they'll build a new facility in that big parking lot and then tear the old one down. Need to stay open during construction to honor existing contracts after all.

In theory they could fill in the existing rink and then build a new one at the level of the top of the existing boards. I have always assumed that the boards were built that way because they also act as retaining structures for fill under the stands, so removing and replacing them isn't much of an option. Even if that's not true, you'd still have a concrete slab at the back of the boards for the entire perimeter of the rink, except the Zamboni entrance and the two stairwells at the entrance end.

I will say that I was there a couple days ago and it sure seemed like the dehumidifiers were not running. The glass was more or less completely opaque due to water condensation on it, and the players were complaining about the ice, too.

Edited by Lifelongbender

1 hour ago, Wes said:

If this is "100% true" I am hopeful that BB will make some BADLY needed short term repairs...

Nothing but best wishes for Jim.  He deserves a nice relaxing retirement.  He's worked so hard on this place for many years.

My experience with BB operations in the East is that they do not rush in to update the rink.  Unless there is some kind of emergency, don't get your hopes up for any updates this season.  Maybe next year. 

• Ugh!!! 1