The Pittsburgh Penguins Elite Discussion

14 minutes ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

well I guess the PPE u16 isnt that ELITE after all. only beating the SHAHA u16 team 4-3.     yes they won. but IF they have the so called best of the best shouldn't this have been a pretty lopsided score?

SHAHA held their own 100%. They play them tomorrow with the home advantage at the Y. I’m excited to see what they can do pens look very beatable. 

• 100 1

1 minute ago, Pucks11 said:

Doesn't this SHAHA team have kids that got cut and left Pens too? ???

I believe the Peters kid spent 1 year there and parents caught on to the money grab it is............  wonder how the parents will talk their little Johnny up this week at work. oh well played a local team and split the series.   lol. 

14 minutes ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

I believe the Peters kid spent 1 year there and parents caught on to the money grab it is............  wonder how the parents will talk their little Johnny up this week at work. oh well played a local team and split the series.   lol. 

Looking up an old PPE roster, there are at least 3 kids on the SHAHA team that played PPE if not more over the years. 

Is Paul Taibi the coach ?  If so - interesting fact - he coached a black team for PPE that beat the elite at MID AMS quit a few years back when the black teams were a thing. He also took PPE’s first year of 15u’s to the semi finals at Nationals. He develops players.  Many are of the opinion he is the best youth hockey coach in the area.   

• Like 3
  • Barf 1

20 minutes ago, whatever said:

Is Paul Taibi the coach ?  If so - interesting fact - he coached a black team for PPE that beat the elite at MID AMS quit a few years back when the black teams were a thing. He also took PPE’s first year of 15u’s to the semi finals at Nationals. He develops players.  Many are of the opinion he is the best youth hockey coach in the area.   

Yes

18 hours ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

He's playing high school hockey again, which is nice to see. Don't think many PPE kids play HS which is a shame, especially if you have a good school program with a quality team. He may lead his team to a second state title in as many years, as a sophomore. Winning in front of a packed house of your classmates is pretty awesome.

Edited by RJUSHL
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, whatever said:

And then brain trust ran him out because he didn't bow down to their every whim. Or maybe they all realized he was a better Coach than they were and concerned about their livelihood being taken away.

• Like 1

Congrats to SHAHA. I'm sure that win felt good. I'm excited to see what #15 does in the future.

This just goes to show you that there are no cut and dry answers to what clubs are "legit" AAA and what clubs are "faux" AAA. It's a team by team basis. If anyone doesn't think this SHAHA 06 team is legit AAA, I'm not sure what to tell them. That doesn't mean that every SHAHA and Preds AAA team is legit. This win is also not some confirmation that PPE is a terrible program.

Edited by RJUSHL
  • Like 1
  • 100 2

Congrats to SHAHA! Relative to the PPE side of this, I’m not pro or con PPE, but believe any company or association that fails at something should feel the pain of it. One might argue they’re failing at this 06 level notably. I don’t have the first hand knowledge to make that claim/ going by tone of this thread. It’s the only way companies like that, perhaps, look at themselves and make changes for the better of everyone. To realize one’s ways, while they might have very short term success, can have long term implications that come to roost.  Or, they could just call it an outlier and ignore it….

That's a good observation and point. Any successful business realizes faults and shortcomings and makes changes. However, the egos that lie beneath out there will NEVER admit any such things and don't think anything is wrong.

I would also suggest that at the one younger age group where the parents of a lot of top players thumbed their noses at the "Elite", they are also getting their asses handed to them and that would be at the 08 age group. I would bet a LOT of dough that they won't be reaching out to play the 08 Vengeance team at any time other than a forced matchup at MidAms.

1 hour ago, BeaverFalls said:

Slightly OT but does anyone else think them having the term “Elite” in their name both irritates most as snobbish as well as panders to their clientele?

I would say it comes off as snobbish to roughly 80% of people and yes, their clientele loves it.

I wonder what changes the new ownership will make, if any? 

Perhaps we're seeing the fall based off of Morehouse's way of doing things? Excel, for instance. Kids still want to go to high school with their friends. A lot of families want nothing to do with a catholic school. Maybe new ownership is why he moved on. 

PPE #18 is an absolute nightmare for any team he is the #2 2007 in USA/Canada. Game #1 Friday Tabia it looked was trying to match #15 line up with PPE #18 but had a hard time with the home last change. I think PPE #18 & SHAHA #15 both had about 2 or 3 primary assists. At Bethel SHAHA #15 line matching up against PPE #18 was the difference. SHAHA 2nd line had both goals. Not only did SHAHA win you could clearly see they have much room to grow as some of the forwards & Defense you could tell were intimidated & that should not happen when they get to MID-AMS. PPE #18 is probably one of the best if not the best hockey players to ever come out of Western PA but I can tell you 15 & 11 on SHAHA are not as far away as what I thought before watching that match up. I would not be shocked if SHAHA starts out top 10 & finish top 20. PPE still should crack top 10 & Barons are in a league of there own.   

2 hours ago, BeaverFalls said:

Slightly OT but does anyone else think them having the term “Elite” in their name both irritates most as snobbish as well as panders to their clientele?

Them having the term Pittsburgh in their name irritates me more.  Not much local flavor there these days. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Puck01 said:

PPE #18 is an absolute nightmare for any team he is the #2 2007 in USA/Canada. Game #1 Friday Tabia it looked was trying to match #15 line up with PPE #18 but had a hard time with the home last change. I think PPE #18 & SHAHA #15 both had about 2 or 3 primary assists. At Bethel SHAHA #15 line matching up against PPE #18 was the difference. SHAHA 2nd line had both goals. Not only did SHAHA win you could clearly see they have much room to grow as some of the forwards & Defense you could tell were intimidated & that should not happen when they get to MID-AMS. PPE #18 is probably one of the best if not the best hockey players to ever come out of Western PA but I can tell you 15 & 11 on SHAHA are not as far away as what I thought before watching that match up. I would not be shocked if SHAHA starts out top 10 & finish top 20. PPE still should crack top 10 & Barons are in a league of there own.   

This is pretty much spot on. PPE #18 is an unreal talent. SHAHA's additions over the summer made them more than a 1 trick pony. Will be an interesting to see it play out this season!

24 minutes ago, Puck01 said:

This is pretty much spot on. PPE #18 is an unreal talent. SHAHA's additions over the summer made them more than a 1 trick pony. Will be an interesting to see it play out this season!

3 hours ago, Puck01 said:

ppe 18 is alot of hype due to family at higher places. thats it. I would take shaha kid over ppe kid any day. shaha is just a hard ass working kid with rich parents but not alot of pull in places 

• 100 1