The Pittsburgh Penguins Elite Discussion

Looking at a couple SHAHA players PIHL Stats. 11 while playing in D Division as a Sophomore had  (17) GM - 27G 25A 52 Points, 15 Freshman AAA had (19) GM - 19G 13A 32PTS & 12 AAA who I believe is on that 1st line with 15 & 11 had in Sophomore (19) GM - 12G 17A 29PTS. I know the PIHL is not AAA but these are impressive stats for Freshman & Sophomores. I think 15 made Steller 6. Does anyone know if any other Freshman made Stellar 6? As for the PPE 18 / SHAHA 15 it is close & nothing against 15 but  PPE 18 is clearly better. It's not hype at all. That kid has skated more than he has walked since he was born!

• Like 1

The PIHL is no where even close to the level that PPE #18 plays against. He's playing an entire year up and still commands the ice against the best in 06 AAA. There is a ton of hype around him but, he's proven himself many times over. If PPE 18 played PIHL he would dominate every game without a doubt.  I dont really have a dog in this fight but, anyone saying that SHAHA 15 and PPE 18 are in the same ball park are mistaken. PPE 18 needs to get bigger and stronger. thats the only knock I can see on him. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Puck01 said:

PPE #18 is an absolute nightmare for any team he is the #2 2007 in USA/Canada. Game #1 Friday Tabia it looked was trying to match #15 line up with PPE #18 but had a hard time with the home last change. I think PPE #18 & SHAHA #15 both had about 2 or 3 primary assists. At Bethel SHAHA #15 line matching up against PPE #18 was the difference. SHAHA 2nd line had both goals. Not only did SHAHA win you could clearly see they have much room to grow as some of the forwards & Defense you could tell were intimidated & that should not happen when they get to MID-AMS. PPE #18 is probably one of the best if not the best hockey players to ever come out of Western PA but I can tell you 15 & 11 on SHAHA are not as far away as what I thought before watching that match up. I would not be shocked if SHAHA starts out top 10 & finish top 20. PPE still should crack top 10 & Barons are in a league of 

Edited by Whoosh

6 hours ago, FauxAAA said:

The PIHL is no where even close to the level that PPE #18 plays against. He's playing an entire year up and still commands the ice against the best in 06 AAA. There is a ton of hype around him but, he's proven himself many times over. If PPE 18 played PIHL he would dominate every game without a doubt.  I dont really have a dog in this fight but, anyone saying that SHAHA 15 and PPE 18 are in the same ball park are mistaken. PPE 18 needs to get bigger and stronger. thats the only knock I can see on him. 

no if he played PIHL as a freshman at that size he would get his head taken off by a big as senior head hunting. pihl is alot like the goon league ( the FED)  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

no if he played PIHL as a freshman at that size he would get his head taken off by a big as senior head hunting. pihl is alot like the goon league ( the FED)  

I’ve seen small kids tear PIHL up. Even at the AAA level. There was an NA kid that played all four years on varsity that was not much bigger than the PPE player. And he was one of their best players all four years. And from what I have seen, the current PPE player is even more talented than the NA kid. And the NA kid was really good in PIHL. 

2 hours ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

You realize that there are kids at 16u AAA that are 6’3”+ and they are great skaters and can’t hit him? It’s possible, sure - unlikely at best… doesn’t make a difference because we’ll never see it. PPE is too “elite” to allow their kids to play with the peasants. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

PPE #18 would tear up PIHL AAA division as a freshman, just like SHAHA #15 tore up PIHL AAA division as a freshman.

12 hours ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

There was a player in the 80’s that was pretty small. Had a some success in high school, I think scored something like, oh over 100 goals in a high school season. Went on to play D1 and some minor pro. Man, what was his name again? Can’t quite remember. 

Sounds like you're talking about #18's dad? 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/301577/john-mooney

Edited by Spear and Magic Helmet
better link

On 9/13/2022 at 12:15 PM, RJUSHL said:

Congrats to SHAHA. I'm sure that win felt good. I'm excited to see what #15 does in the future.

This just goes to show you that there are no cut and dry answers to what clubs are "legit" AAA and what clubs are "faux" AAA. It's a team by team basis. If anyone doesn't think this SHAHA 06 team is legit AAA, I'm not sure what to tell them. That doesn't mean that every SHAHA and Preds AAA team is legit. This win is also not some confirmation that PPE is a terrible program.

If they are ranked in the top 30 I consider them a legit AAA.  If not I'm the top 30 then not a legit AAA.  Doesn't matter what the name is on the organization.  

• 100 1
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, Carl Racki said:

If they are ranked in the top 30 I consider them a legit AAA.  If not I'm the top 30 then not a legit AAA.  Doesn't matter what the name is on the organization.  

What about 31? Just outside of your magic benchmark so not AAA lol. Fortunately people running things seem to be a little less arbitrary than you.

8 hours ago, RJUSHL said:

What about 31? Just outside of your magic benchmark so not AAA lol. Fortunately people running things seem to be a little less arbitrary than you.

Ok smart guy where is the cut off 400?  I would say 30-40 max are legit.  Guessing your son isnt on one of those teams.  Not saying there aren't AAA players on AA teams just saying those teams don't have the depth to be considered AAA in my opinion.  Hey tell people your team is AAA when they are ranked 80,100,150 heck even below a lot of AA team.  

• 100 1

I understand the idea that at a certain point the AAA teams aren't legit, but I'd give them more credit that only going 30 deep. And yes there are way too many "AAA" teams in the area. But for reference, last year at the 16U level, the top 91 AAA teams in the rankings would have finished ahead of #5 at tier 2 (who was the local team who won nationals).

There are plenty of faux AAA teams, but hard to say teams in the 30-50 range are dogshit....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Icebucket said:

I understand the idea that at a certain point the AAA teams aren't legit, but I'd give them more credit that only going 30 deep. And yes there are way too many "AAA" teams in the area. But for reference, last year at the 16U level, the top 91 AAA teams in the rankings would have finished ahead of #5 at tier 2 (who was the local team who won nationals).

There are plenty of faux AAA teams, but hard to say teams in the 30-50 range are dogshit....

Like I said, I will even give you to the top 40.  Teams in the 50s, 60s,...  Play the legit AAA teams in the top ten will get smoked.  Again,  they may have half a team of AAA players but not enough to compete with the real AAA. 

The stupidity is ruining local hockey and forcing dumb amounts of travel as Western Pa has so many faux AAA teams that PAHL AA is about half AA and half A major black by Bantam.  It's such a waste.   But hey you can say your kid is playing AAA.  

• 100 1

15 hours ago, Carl Racki said:

Ok smart guy where is the cut off 400?  I would say 30-40 max are legit.  Guessing your son isnt on one of those teams.  Not saying there aren't AAA players on AA teams just saying those teams don't have the depth to be considered AAA in my opinion.  Hey tell people your team is AAA when they are ranked 80,100,150 heck even below a lot of AA team.  

My only point is that coming up with some hard and fast rule like 30 is just kind of ridiculous. Teams in the 30s, 40s, and even 50s compete and win against top 25 teams on a fairly regular basis. It's not that uncommon at all. I do agree that some team ranked close to 100 calling themselves AAA is pretty stupid. They just won't be competitive against the top teams at all. It's those teams that are the issue. It's those teams that should still be playing AA PAHL. It's those teams that are hurting hockey in WPA.

2 hours ago, RJUSHL said:

My only point is that coming up with some hard and fast rule like 30 is just kind of ridiculous. Teams in the 30s, 40s, and even 50s compete and win against top 25 teams on a fairly regular basis. It's not that uncommon at all. I do agree that some team ranked close to 100 calling themselves AAA is pretty stupid. They just won't be competitive against the top teams at all. It's those teams that are the issue. It's those teams that should still be playing AA PAHL. It's those teams that are hurting hockey in WPA.

So where is your cut off?  60?  Just because you have one win against a top 30 team and 10 losses doesn't mean you are competing.  If you are 500 against those teams and the games are close I would say you are competing.  Just my opinion and I have watched many parents and players blow tons of money playing for the faux AAA teams and even legit ones only to say years later why did I waste all that money????  

6 minutes ago, Carl Racki said:

So where is your cut off?  60?  Just because you have one win against a top 30 team and 10 losses doesn't mean you are competing.  If you are 500 against those teams and the games are close I would say you are competing.  Just my opinion and I have watched many parents and players blow tons of money playing for the faux AAA teams and even legit ones only to say years later why did I waste all that money????  

See the new thread I made.  I'm happy, if we can agree on a definition, to figure out who are legit AAA. 

• Like 1

How many NCAA basketball D1 programs are there? - Maybe they should axe Loyola, IL and George Mason

College football? - We all know there are maybe 10 legit teams each season vying for the playoff and usually it's more like 5-6. So should every other program become D1-AA?

Maybe, just maybe....... the players really like the sport and maybe some of them also want to do everything they can to see how far they can go. The NHL teams with scouts and the scouting combine still make draft picks which are first round busts so trying to pinpoint someone's ability at 12, 14 and 16 while interesting is nearly impossible.

I think Logan Cooley is a prime example. He was always a great player he obviously has that extra drive and dedication which is probably just as important as anything else.

Same for Ty Voit, right? I mean...... he couldn't even make the 16U PPE team (wink, nod) that won Nationals but one of the 03's that did is playing where now? I'm know he wasn't drafted either and I just realized the Golden Child from Chicago wasn't drafted either.

Tier 1 teams buy ice. Rinks need ice sold to stay open. The game doesn't exist without the ice so let them play what and where they choose.

• Like 1